Mar 26, 2002
Alaska
Visit site
✟7,155.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I figure it moved ahead a year or two in time.

I suspect this is also how the 'Black Rock' got so far inland; that ship was sailing through an empty patch of ocean when the island reappeared.

Very likely, 'moving the island' is also the 'incident' that freaked out the Dharma folks of old and led to the 'pushing the button' routine in the Swan station. I'd also lay odds that this was incident that caused the 'hostiles' to stop viewing the Dharma folks as mere pests and start treating them as a dangerous threat that had to be eradicated.

Reactions: latteda
Upvote 0

MtDoraAngel

Legend
Aug 3, 2005
The Sunshine State
✟22,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting point but moving the island ahead in time wouldn't change it's location. It's an island not a raft. It appeared to just sink in the ocean.

Also, I wondered about Daniel and the others on the raft. What became of them. Did they move with the island because they were still within "range". Were they ever found and if so, how were they kept quiet.

Upvote 0

The_Master

Renegade Time Lord
May 24, 2008
Gallifrey
✟30,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Interesting point but moving the island ahead in time wouldn't change it's location. It's an island not a raft. It appeared to just sink in the ocean.

Also, I wondered about Daniel and the others on the raft. What became of them. Did they move with the island because they were still within "range". Were they ever found and if so, how were they kept quiet.

Actually moving it in the tempral directions could remove it from the current tempral location making it so you can no longer detect it in this temporal location.

Upvote 0

Thinker

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
Alaska
Visit site
✟7,155.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Actually moving it in the tempral directions could remove it from the current tempral location making it so you can no longer detect it in this temporal location.
this is what I had in mind.
would moving it in time bring it back in another location due to the rotation of the earth?
and I hope wherever it ends up its still tropical that would be a drag if they end up in alaska or sumthin

It is possible that moving the island in time like that could cause it to move location as well, but the latitude would still be the same. The island might somehow remain 'linked' to past locations. this might possibly explain the 'Africa' connection:

how the drug smugglers short range aircraft was able to cross thousands of miles in a damaged condition without refueling;

how what was left of the Dharma issue polar bear ended up in north africa;

how Ben appeared in Africa;

and possibly maybe a clue as to the four toed statue an the temple.

If this is so, then at some point in the past, the island may not have actually been an island, but rather an integral part of another continent. Hmmm...a famous island that vanished...Atlantis??? (I hope not).

Upvote 0

FatBurger

14% + Jesus = victory
Site Supporter
May 12, 2004
Portland, OR
✟38,868.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
II suspect this is also how the 'Black Rock' got so far inland; that ship was sailing through an empty patch of ocean when the island reappeared.

Good thought, that's probably true.

Very likely, 'moving the island' is also the 'incident' that freaked out the Dharma folks of old and led to the 'pushing the button' routine in the Swan station. I'd also lay odds that this was incident that caused the 'hostiles' to stop viewing the Dharma folks as mere pests and start treating them as a dangerous threat that had to be eradicated.

I like this theory, but there are a couple potential problems:
1. How would Dharma find the island again?
2. Has the method/location of the island moving device changed? If not, then how does Dharma building a station in front of it factor in?

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also, if the island moved while Dharma was still involved, how did they know where to deliver the air drops?

I love the theory about the Black Rock though. Excellent thought. That means that someone had the ability to move the island over 100 years ago. Seeing what Ben did to move it, is that feasible? Could the island protect itself and move itself at some point in history?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thinker

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
Alaska
Visit site
✟7,155.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I like this theory, but there are a couple potential problems:
1. How would Dharma find the island again?
Also, if the island moved while Dharma was still involved, how did they know where to deliver the air drops?

I would submit that the Dharma folks were not a random group of castaways; rather they were literally the best and the brightest, and equipped with what was then `cutting edge' tech. This would give them a major advantage.

Plus, trying to piece the fragments together, it looks like the Dharma people were not only on the island constantly, but had 'free access' to it.

There is probably a serious story as to how they got reconnected, but this part would have been within their capabilities.

2. Has the method/location of the island moving device changed? If not, then how does Dharma building a station in front of it factor in?

My suspicion here is that if you dig down far enough into the island, you find the same 'underlying force'. What happened with the Swan implosion looked a great deal like what happened with 'moving the island'. I suspect that had the button in the Swan not been pushed, that too would have caused the island to move - though in a even less controlled manner than when Ben did it. I would also speculate that the 'Temple' provides access in some way to this underlying force.

Basically, access this underlying force 'correctly' and you can move the island.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Very cool thoughts, everyone. I think time has got to be the major key in moving the island, even if it's only seconds ahead or behind. That certainly ties into all of Desmond's flashes after he was blown out of the hatch (among all the time related things since then!).
I'm also thinking that Aaron has aged quite a bit very quickly since the 6 left the island. Maybe it's not related, but maybe it is...

Upvote 0