Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
7 seems be widely regarded by ancient cultures as some sort of 'perfect' number - probably partly because it is prime. Add to that fact that it makes a neat quarter of a lunar month (in so far as the lunar month corresponds to a whole number of days), and you probably have your answer.

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most cultures that once used a lunar based calendar had a seven day week because a lunar month can be neatly divided by seven day weeks. Many of the ancient Middle Eastern civilizations including the Israelites had a lunar based calendar. Thus since they are the basis of later "Western" civilizations we inherited the seven day week from them.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

f U z ! o N said:
im curious as to when we adopted a 7 day week. i can cite Genesis as a 7 day week but im curious as to when it was actually made. please no arguments over the Gensis literal or figurative stuff.

other cultures have independently derived the 7 day week from the lunar calendar. - the most significant lunar phases.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thr word seven in Hebrew means "to be complete", and comes from the root that means to make an oath or declaration. God sevens His covenant to man and the Bible has a repetition of sevens throughout the Bible.
Seven day comes straight from Genesis in the Bible. Six days to create and the seventh day for rest. Some of the sevens of the Bible: seven Spirits of God, seven Churches of Revelations, seven festivals, seven pieces of furniture within the temple, and more.
The eight day stands for eternity without time.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Rafael said:
Thr word seven in Hebrew means "to be complete", and comes from the root that means to make an oath or declaration. God sevens His covenant to man and the Bible has a repetition of sevens throughout the Bible.
Seven day comes straight from Genesis in the Bible. Six days to create and the seventh day for rest. Some of the sevens of the Bible: seven Spirits of God, seven Churches of Revelations, seven festivals, seven pieces of furniture within the temple, and more.
The eight day stands for eternity without time.

the problem is that the sumerians had a 7 day week before abram left Ur of the chaldeans. let alone 1000 years before moses. these uses of 7 must have their basis in something earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

TrustNHim9119

Dec 4, 2019
Dayton
✟8,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the problem is that the sumerians had a 7 day week before abram left Ur of the chaldeans. let alone 1000 years before moses. these uses of 7 must have their basis in something earlier.

I know that this post is super old, but I wanted to respond.

Didn't Adam, Eve, Abel, Seth, Enoch, Noah, his wife, Shem, Ham, and Japheth, and their wives all follow God???

This was well before Abraham. I mean, Abel was killed by Cain because he offered a sacrifice to God that pleased Him:

And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord . And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
Genesis 4:3‭-‬8 KJV
Genesis 4:3-8 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD. And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

Just from that, we know that Abel was taught about the sacrifices which were atonements of sin, and he more than likely also following the Sabbath, all of which God had taught Adam and Eve, and they passed it down to Cain and Abel.

This verse here tells us that people began worshipping God (again, well before Abraham):

And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the Lord .
Genesis 4:26 KJV
Genesis 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD. | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

Enoch walked with God and didn't even die (Also, well before Abraham):

And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
Genesis 5:21‭-‬24 KJV
Genesis 5:21-24 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Enoch were three | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

It's pretty obvious that they all were observing the 7-day week God set up when He created the universe.

If Adam and Eve, the first two humans, were observing the 7-day week God created, who cares about the Sumerians?

Adam and Eve were before them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
I think so. Even more shocking is that it's not AV1611VET doing the resurrecting.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to AV1611VET? He hasn't been around for awhile.
Please, Please! Don't say his name a 3rd time!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think so. Even more shocking is that it's not AV1611VET doing the resurrecting.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to AV1611VET? He hasn't been around for awhile.

Maybe he's banned for offending someone.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The thread was likely resurrected because the question wasn't answered.

The seven day cycle is strongly suggested by the sun and moon being appointed to indicate such, and the finality of God's work and his rest on the seventh day, as revealed in Genesis 1 and 2.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The seven day cycle is strongly suggested by the sun and moon being appointed to indicate such, and the finality of God's work and his rest on the seventh day, as revealed in Genesis 1 and 2.

What is written in the Bible is a case of adoption of the 7 day week, not necessarily the invention of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is written in the Bible is a case of adoption of the 7 day week, not necessarily the invention of it.

I disagree. I don't think the seven day week predates Genesis. I don't think anyone was aware of a preexisting clock and calendar in the sky until God ordained it.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. Like so much of the bible it's borrowed from Babylon and Sumer.

7 days is the time of each phase of the moon as described in Babylonian and Sumerian calendars, both of which predate the writing of Genesis.

Upvote 0