Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When I start topic, or make some statement on something potentially potent, I support it right off. Seems like I post lots of links when I debate. I believe it makes a big difference in keeping the conversation on topic. And sources do matter. There is probably a bunch of odd things out there from the past, or from biased sources, or out of context, or maybe reasonable. To me this is useless unless you explain where you are coming from and support it.
I’m glad that you do it that way. I usually do things similarly. But there’s nothing that said this is the only way to it.

And you think it’s useless, but I’m finding quite a bit of use out of this. But not in the way you are thinking.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I can see that now, but you're refusing to cite your sources and insisting that other members look up the sources to support the accusations you made against Biden. That's manipulative and lazy, IMO.
Are you projecting? Maybe if you did it it would be manipulative. But I’m not trying to manipulate anyone.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lol. I’m pretty sure that if you do your own work, you see that I’m not poisoning anything.
Nope, a bit of research showed that the post I quoted was a textbook example of that form of personal attack.

Just another case in this thread where confident assertions run headfirst into reality.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And you think it’s useless, but I’m finding quite a bit of use out of this. But not in the way you are thinking.
Hmm, if the goal isn't to foster reasoned discussion, I wonder what the purpose of these vague innuendos and questioning the character and abilities of other posters might be.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, if the goal isn't to foster reasoned discussion, I wonder what the purpose of these vague innuendos and questioning the character and abilities of other posters might be.
It’s to foster reasonable discussion.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The type of conversation that I wanted to have was one where folks would look up the information on their own and then conclude whether or not I was correct. That way I wouldn’t have to deal with “well, what do you expect from that source” comments. In the time it’s taken all of you to respond to me, you all could have done it a hundred times.

copy/paste Biden racist statements into your favorite search engine, and see for yourself.

Its not working @Hammster.

And it never will. Because both parties need to be willing. If one is not, it just doesn’t work.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
And it never will. Because both parties need to be willing. If one is not, it just doesn’t work.
I understand. I also see how easy it is to point fingers at who is the unwilling party. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, other times more gray.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand. I also see how easy it is to point fingers at who is the unwilling party. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, other times more gray.

I apologize if you took it personally, I was agreeing with your comment, not mean to be insulting in any way.

To have a conversation there has to be at least two parties having open, civil communication. It is a common reply on both sides (one is not better than the other), to degrade the poster by saying "your source is biased" etc. I am probably one of the greatest offenders of it.

It is possible @Hammster is attempting a new tactic. I've tried it and failed miserably because most people would rather argue than research and post point/counter point. It's really difficult when posters address the person they are speaking to instead of the topic at hand. The 'nanny nanny boo boo' defense is really no defense at all . (NOTE: I am not addressing any individual).

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I apologize if you took it personally, I was agreeing with your comment, not mean to be insulting in any way.

To have a conversation there has to be at least two parties having open, civil communication. It is a common reply on both sides (one is not better than the other), to degrade the poster by saying "your source is biased" etc. I am probably one of the greatest offenders of it.

It is possible @Hammster is attempting a new tactic. I've tried it and failed miserably because most people would rather argue than research and post point/counter point. It's really difficult when posters address the person they are speaking to instead of the topic at hand. The 'nanny nanny boo boo' defense is really no defense at all . (NOTE: I am not addressing any individual).
It wasn't taken personally. My comment was pretty general. The biased source comments are still a far better alternative than just posting something and saying "lol look it up yourself."
Like just imagine a scenario where a person doesn't know how marginal taxes work. It would be easy, lazy, and counterproductive to say "lol just look it up yourself." Posting links with explanations is certainly a better way to go, even if the other party isn't necessarily willing to hear it. (NOTE: I am not addressing any individual).

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It wasn't taken personally. My comment was pretty general. The biased source comments are still a far better alternative than just posting something and saying "lol look it up yourself."
Like just imagine a scenario where a person doesn't know how marginal taxes work. It would be easy, lazy, and counterproductive to say "lol just look it up yourself." Posting links with explanations is certainly a better way to go, even if the other party isn't necessarily willing to hear it. (NOTE: I am not addressing any individual).

Valid point (except no one was saying LOL look it up).

The other side of the coin is a valid point also. Reading and researching for yourself provokes free thought and with me, if I am not careful, I might just learn something new.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I didn’t think that learning about marginal taxes was the same as doing a search on Biden racist comments. And I’m still dumbfounded by how many people would rather spend a LOT more time commenting on me not providing links than they would actually typing “Biden racist comments” into a search engine.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Uh huh, sure :

I assumed that you all would be as capable and motivated to find out the bad stuff about Biden as you were about Trump, since you all are unbiased. ;)

Lol. I’m pretty sure that if you do your own work, you see that I’m not poisoning anything. There are two options. I’m either lying or I’m not. Easily verifiable.

Lots of reasonable discussion to be had there.

Yet another case of the claims in posts not lining up with reality. As some point, people are going to notice a pattern.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Valid point (except no one was saying LOL look it up).

The other side of the coin is a valid point also. Reading and researching for yourself provokes free thought and with me, if I am not careful, I might just learn something new.

Thanks!

True, but I find it helpful to have a starting point. If someone posts a reference it at least gives me an idea of what they are referencing and something to start my own research. If they don't post something then I am much less likely to look as I am flying blind.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I didn’t think that learning about marginal taxes was the same as doing a search on Biden racist comments. And I’m still dumbfounded by how many people would rather spend a LOT more time commenting on me not providing links than they would actually typing “Biden racist comments” into a search engine.
Perhaps you take it as a point of reasonable discussion since so many people find it to be a poor methodology?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Uh huh, sure :

Lots of reasonable discussion to be had there.

Yet another case of the claims in posts not lining up with reality. As some point, people are going to notice a pattern.
And once again, in the time it took someone to make a post, they could have typed in “Biden racist comments” into their favorite search engine. But no, let’s make the thread about me. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you take it as a point of reasonable discussion since so many people find it to be a poor methodology?
And still commenting about me.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
And still commenting about me.

No, commenting on your methodology but by all means ignore the reasonable response by deflecting. That will certainly foster informed discussion and debate.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, commenting on your methodology but by all means ignore the reasonable response by deflecting. That will certainly foster informed discussion and debate.
Its no use, he is only here to preach (by his own admission).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And once again, in the time it took someone to make a post, they could have typed in “Biden racist comments” into their favorite search engine. But no, let’s make the thread about me. :)

Upvote 0