MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
ya, anything that has dimensions has location, but as with all location they are defined in relation to some point. Being the universe if vast, there are from our presective an infinate number of starting locations so the universe could be said to be in an infinate number of places while only actually being in one place. But the universe is changing with respect to time so the referance points are also changing creating another whole axis of starting points by which to place the location.

As indicated above, the prefered referance point is always myself.
dayhiker

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
We don't know where the universe is, because, as has been said already, we don't have a reference outside the universe. And if this universe is all that exists, then we really will never know.

I'm betting it's probably in God's pocket somewhere.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's a meaningless question. Space exists because the universe exists, not the other way around. Without spacetime, there is no where.
I understand your thought, but I'd not quite go there. As I believe God existed adn then created space/time, I think there was a place before the universe existed. Nowever, we have a very limted view of the spiritual work that God existed in for eternity ... maybe those words spiritual world God existed in is even a bad way of talking about it. I do believe God was someplace and everywhere before the universe tho.

dayhiker

Upvote 0

Fed

Veteran
Dec 24, 2004
CA
✟17,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand your thought, but I'd not quite go there. As I believe God existed adn then created space/time, I think there was a place before the universe existed. Nowever, we have a very limted view of the spiritual work that God existed in for eternity ... maybe those words spiritual world God existed in is even a bad way of talking about it. I do believe God was someplace and everywhere before the universe tho.
I was referring to physical space. God's existence doesn't require physical space, or a universe. Physical space doesn't exist apart from the universe. There could be "spiritual locations", but speculating about that is pointless. "Before" the universe, God was all there was - you can't even assign him to a location because location was not existent.

TheFathersDaughter said:
Also, Fed, I love the quote in your signature.
Thanks. Sometimes, it's easy to forget what Christ was really like given the Christians we see today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nottingham40

May 7, 2007
Visit site
✟15,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let us begin: First we have to clearly define a definition for the Universe. Is the universe the all inclusive over arching phenomina that includes both physical and metaphysical concepts, or one of them or neither. To me, and I would offer that the Universe is a term we use as the highest definitional order of physical material. The justification for this is follows, in either faith tradition, Religious and Secular, both argue that their is a conception beyond or before the Universe. The secular mindset argues for a big bang, but argues are pre-existing conception, "Before the Big-Bang". If we can all agree to accept that the Universe is a term that defines physical things, we can move on to phase 2.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I was referring to physical space. God's existence doesn't require physical space, or a universe. Physical space doesn't exist apart from the universe. There could be "spiritual locations", but speculating about that is pointless. "Before" the universe, God was all there was - you can't even assign him to a location because location was not existent.
quote]

I agree with you on that Fred.

Upvote 0

WhereIsTheUniverse

Jul 29, 2007
✟7,663.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Let us begin: First we have to clearly define a definition for the Universe. Is the universe the all inclusive over arching phenomina that includes both physical and metaphysical concepts, or one of them or neither. To me, and I would offer that the Universe is a term we use as the highest definitional order of physical material. The justification for this is follows, in either faith tradition, Religious and Secular, both argue that their is a conception beyond or before the Universe. The secular mindset argues for a big bang, but argues are pre-existing conception, "Before the Big-Bang". If we can all agree to accept that the Universe is a term that defines physical things, we can move on to phase 2.

No one knows or can tell you where you came from or going. But realize that the same place we are then the same as dreams and out of body experiences. The problem with defining physical is close your eyes and what do you see? Lets imagine(helps by closing your eyes) that you are laying in your bed and you get out of it to stair at the ceiling. Picture it clearly. Focus on that as you read the next sentence.

Now ask your self where are you? In the bedroom staring at the ceiling or staring at this monitor reading this text. Where are both locations taking place? Close your eyes again if you need help understanding.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.