Why Do I Cry When I Talk to God? Is Uncontrollable Crying During Prayer Wrong?

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
A Christian told me this once, do you guys think god is touching you when you speak to him, and all of a sudden you start to cry and get goosebumps?

Well not absolutely all the time but often yes I agree, I have a tendency to cry and be increasingly emotional during my alone time with him and I do relate that to God's presence and his moving in me. Though I would not conclude tears to always be proof of God.

I do believe the presence of God can be felt or realized through changes in our body, feelings and emotions like you noted.

Upvote 0

pilgrimgal

Jeremiah 29:11 It's good!
Apr 9, 2006
USA
✟25,368.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes, this certainly happens to me..but then sometimes I can get goose bumps and cry when God is not touching me like when I see a touching scene in a movie or a play. Generally when God is touching me I may cry, I may get goose bumps, or I may simply feel a strong sense of peace and rest in Him. Sometimes all of the above. :)

Upvote 0

amandatea

Legalist extraordinaire :s
May 9, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Visit site
✟8,835.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I think I agree. I used to be very emotionally walled up (which was something I built up in myself for protection) and as I got to know the Lord more, He broke those walls down. I have been extraordinarily emotional when speaking about/thinking about/singing about/ speaking to/ listening to/etc the Lord.

I think if it's genuine emotions (ie not just for show, or just our sense of obligation to get stirred up), then it's very likely, the Holy Spirit moving.

Upvote 0

achristian2

learning to walk with God
Aug 7, 2012
✟23,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A Christian told me this once, do you guys think god is touching you when you speak to him, and all of a sudden you start to cry and get goosebumps?

It can certainly be from God although at times it can be from your own emotional self.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"When you cry when talking to the lord, God is touching you" A Christian told me this once, do you guys think god is touching you when you speak to him, and all of a sudden you start to cry and get goosebumps?

No. What this person told you is total speculation. It is disturbing that so many believers are not more discerning about what they think is a sign of God's presence. Is God not present when you pray if you aren't crying and getting goosebumps? Of course not.

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yeah I think your right. I feel the same way and sometimes I tremble but that could be my medicine. Sometimes I feel like I am curled up in his giant hand lol.

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had times when God's presence has been so strong- or a sense of His love so overwhelming that I've just sat in tears.

So, yes, it can be God.

But it can be our emotions finding an outlet, too. I've cried plenty of times in prayer- but that's because of my feelings, not because it was a big spiritual experience.

That's not to take anything away from those very real and powerful- and precious- times when this has been God's hand on us- but I think that it's good not to put too much emphasis on this sort of manifestation of God's touch. There's an underlying danger that we begin to look to emotions to guide us or to 'tell' us if God is there or not.

I think we need to make sure that we don't go after emotional experiences. As someone said before- God is there whatever. He's touching us whether we cry, laugh or feel absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

amandatea

May 9, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Visit site
✟8,835.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I've had times when God's presence has been so strong- or a sense of His love so overwhelming that I've just sat in tears.

So, yes, it can be God.

But it can be our emotions finding an outlet, too. I've cried plenty of times in prayer- but that's because of my feelings, not because it was a big spiritual experience.

That's not to take anything away from those very real and powerful- and precious- times when this has been God's hand on us- but I think that it's good not to put too much emphasis on this sort of manifestation of God's touch. There's an underlying danger that we begin to look to emotions to guide us or to 'tell' us if God is there or not.

I think we need to make sure that we don't go after emotional experiences. As someone said before- God is there whatever. He's touching us whether we cry, laugh or feel absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

Yes, you're right. Being a Christian shouldn't be about feelings, but about trusting Jesus. We are warned not to go by just feelings. Doing this can be dangerous, as we can fool ourselves, and also, Satan and his minions can fool us. We should test everything, that it lines up with scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amandatea

May 9, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Visit site
✟8,835.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Emotions is not Any Spiritual experience.
You cried because you want something to be fixed and you are upset at the situation.

Not always. I get very emotional, joyfully, when I reflect on the amazing things that the Lord has done in my life. I cry sometimes while praying for/thinking about the lost. There are many reasons for tears. It's not always just a self-focused thing.

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not always. I get very emotional, joyfully, when I reflect on the amazing things that the Lord has done in my life. I cry sometimes while praying for/thinking about the lost. There are many reasons for tears. It's not always just a self-focused thing.

I'm a INTJ Skeptic, we don't judge with emotions or how it feels, we judge with facts and numbers and the entirety of the situation.
We don't get emotionally involved unless it directly effects something we care about or something that can change out of a result :p.

I'm not saying I don't have a sensitive side, because I cried at the end of Angel Beats when the girl thanks the guy for donating his heart to her (since they were together in this parallel world) T-T so Touching..

Upvote 0

amandatea

May 9, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Visit site
✟8,835.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I'm a INTJ Skeptic, we don't judge with emotions or how it feels, we judge with facts and numbers and the entirety of the situation.
We don't get emotionally involved unless it directly effects something we care about or something that can change out of a result :p.

I'm not saying I don't have a sensitive side, because I cried at the end of Angel Beats when the girl thanks the guy for donating his heart to her (since they were together in this parallel world) T-T so Touching..

How does that address my point? You stated: "Emotions is not Any Spiritual experience.
You cried because you want something to be fixed and you are upset at the situation."

I was simply refuting this as crying is not always about being sad - there are other reasons people cry.

Upvote 0