England
✟15,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I wouldn't say that Disney films promote very nice values. Disney himself is considered anti-semitic, racist, and anti-communist, etc.

"there was a lot of antisemitic feeling in the Disney studio. While no one can specifically attribute bias to Disney himself, Jewish people were ready fodder for the animators' gags and Disney approved every scene in every short the studio made. In one scene in the original version of "The Three Little Pigs," the Big Bad Wolf comes to the door dressed as a stereotypical Jewish peddler. Disney changed the scene after complaints from Jewish groups. They didn't catch them all, though. In the short "The Opry House" Mickey Mouse is seen dressed and dancing as a Hasidic Jew."

"In 1933, the German American Bund was founded by Fritz Kuhn. Kuhn was evidently quite a character--he had met Hitler in the early thirties and reportedly was profoundly loathed by the Nazi leader. An association of German immigrants to America, the Bund had a definite pro-Nazi slant. Disney animator Art Babbitt claimed his boss had a strong interest in, if not outright sympathy for, the Bund:
In the immediate years before we entered the War there was a small, but fiercely loyal, I suppose legal, following of the Nazi party . . . There were open meetings, anybody could attend and I wanted to see what was going on myself. On more than one occasion I observed Walt Disney and [Disney's lawyer] Gunther Lessing there, along with a lot of prominent Nazi-afflicted Hollywood personalities. Disney was going to meetings all the time.

he German filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, whose documentaries in the mid-30s had helped to glorify the Nazis, claimed that "after Kristallnacht [1938], she approached every studio in Hollywood looking for work. No studio head would even screen her movies except Walt Disney. He told her he admired her work but if it became known that he was considering hiring her, it would damage his reputation."

And because everyone loves Family Guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAcIzPmOhBQ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I spent 25 + years in the cinema business. While I never met Walt personally I know he would be greatly disturbed by some of the garbage his company is putting out today. I've never heard about Walt being anti-Jewish. Sounds like a bit of an urban legend to me. And no, not everyone likes "Family Guy".

Upvote 0

SaraJarvis

Apr 2, 2012
England
✟15,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I spent 25 + years in the cinema business. While I never met Walt personally I know he would be greatly disturbed by some of the garbage his company is putting out today. I've never heard about Walt being anti-Jewish. Sounds like a bit of an urban legend to me. And no, not everyone likes "Family Guy".

Watch those early Disney films. It's all there. Maybe pick up a book or two on him, and do a little research. Have you seen some of his banned cartoons? They're racist. Here's some food for thought:

"One of the most disturbing Old World characterizations in Disney's film is that of the greedy puppetmaster Stromboli, who is quite obviously portrayed as a Jewish gypsy, in spite of his stereotypically broad Italian accent. Collodi's puppetmaster Mangiafuoco "seems a fearful man but deep down he isn't bad," nor does he have any sort of marked ethnic or racial identity. From an anti-Semitic perspective, Stromboli's gross facial features and his long black beard are recognizably Jewish, as is his excessive love of wealth. Critic William Paul has suggested that Stromboli is "a burlesque of a Hollywood boss.... Disney's own relationship to the Hollywood power structure was always a difficult one" (quoted in Allan, p. 87). Richard Schickel was the first critic to bring a clear charge of anti-Semitism to the film in his 1968 book Walt Disney, although some of Disney's closest colleagues were Jewish and insisted that they were unaware of any prejudice on his part. Stromboli does disturb a viewer today, however, for it is simply impossible to ignore the anti-Semitic implications of his characterization. And it is all the more disturbing when one thinks of the period in which the film was made and the anti-Semitism that was being spread like a plague in Europe by Hitler's Nazi Reich. "

Of course he didn't come out and say that he hated Jews. But that does not mean that he didn't hold them in contempt, and allow "subtle" (or none-so-subtle, to the contemporary viewer) anti-semitic messages in his films. I remember watching Disney as a child, and being uncomfortable even then, as I was fully aware of the Jewish stereotype. Just as I could not laugh and felt embarrassed and annoyed when I saw something racist in a film.

No, of course not everyone likes Family Guy. That was called being "light-hearted". It was a "joke".

Upvote 0

SaraJarvis

Apr 2, 2012
England
✟15,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I seriously doubt that you were fully aware of the Jewish stereotype when you were a child. So then, you feel your calling in life is to cast aspersions on Mr. Disney?
I can tell you that I was. Children develop at different levels. I happened to be an intelligent child - I had a very clever father, and I wasn't treated like a doll with no opinion; hence, I matured at a younger age. Children know right from wrong at a young age. They aren't ignorant. Besides this, how do you know that I'm not from a Jewish family? If so, I would be very aware of the stereotype. Don't be ridiculous. Making a comment on a forum is hardly a life calling. It's called expressing an opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can tell you that I was. Children develop at different levels. I happened to be an intelligent child - I had a very clever father, and I wasn't treated like a doll with no opinion; hence, I matured at a younger age. Children know right from wrong at a young age. They aren't ignorant. Besides this, how do you know that I'm not from a Jewish family? If so, I would be very aware of the stereotype. Don't be ridiculous. Making a comment on a forum is hardly a life calling. It's called expressing an opinion.

And your opinion of Mr. Disney is supposed to help us Believers how?

Upvote 0

SaraJarvis

Apr 2, 2012
England
✟15,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
And your opinion of Mr. Disney is supposed to help us Believers how?
Goodness me, you're getting very defensive over this. I was simply making a statement. If you disagree with me so vehemently, then you don't have to read my comments. I'm simply stating that Disney wasn't a man with wonderful values - he was anti-semitic and racist. Or, at the very least, that's what his films "subtly" promoted. It has nothing to do with whether or not you're a believer; it's down to what is right and wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Goodness me, you're getting very defensive over this. I was simply making a statement. If you disagree with me so vehemently, then you don't have to read my comments. I'm simply stating that Disney wasn't a man with wonderful values - he was anti-semitic and racist. Or, at the very least, that's what his films "subtly" promoted. It has nothing to do with whether or not you're a believer; it's down to what is right and wrong.

Before his death decades ago Walt had developed a reputation for creating the best "family entertainment" in the industry. In other words good, clean entertainment. No vulgarity, sexual nudity, gory special effects just good, clean fun. So why now this attack on his reputation? Who do you think it's going to help?

Upvote 0

SaraJarvis

Apr 2, 2012
England
✟15,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Before his death decades ago Walt had developed a reputation for creating the best "family entertainment" in the industry. In other words good, clean entertainment. No vulgarity, sexual nudity, gory special effects just good, clean fun. So why now this attack on his reputation? Who do you think it's going to help?
Yes, for the most part Disney films ARE family friendly. However, just because he's family friendly, doesn't mean that he wasn't anti-semitic and racist. It's simply stating the truth - those messages are there. I mean, I like Edith Wharton's books, and I've written a thesis on them - but she was extremely anti-semitic. I'm not going to stop reading her books, but you can't deny what's written. There's nothing wrong with stating what's there. What's with the censorship idea? I'm not saying don't watch his films, I'm simply stating that there was a darker side to them.

Upvote 0

HaigCraylett

L.O.V.E
Jul 4, 2012
Norfolk
✟15,269.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour

I agree with you sir. There are too many myths on the internet. I say if people want to know the man to speak to people who knew him.

Upvote 0