Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
book14.gif

Philippians 3:18-19
For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.
Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.

Most Christians would not describe themselves as enemies of the cross. Many are not headed in the direction they think they are because their minds and hearts are no longer set on God, but on earthly things. they are more concerned with themselves than with obeying God. They want all the conveniences of modern living. They gorge themselves on expensive foods and become drunk on favorite beverages.
The things many Christians pursue are not evil in themselves, but by pursuing them they forget their need of God.
It is not enough simply to accept Christ. We are called to maintain that experience in faith. We are called to obedience. When Christ dwells in our lives
and we walk in faith and trust, we become children of the cross instead of enemies of the cross.

Cassia

Jul 11, 2005
✟129.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:amen: I love what you've said Doc! Might I say:
A few years ago, my husband was off work for a few weeks and asked me to get cable TV (it was a long cold winter). After he was back at work, I started to watch more and more TV, nothing bad, just too much. One discipline that was very consistent in my life up to that point was my morning "Quiet Hour" devotional time with the Lord. I loved to get up early, read my Bible, pray and sing praise songs and hymns. Bit by bit, I turned to the TV first thing in the morning, because there was a "good" show on I wanted to see, you can see where this is going. Before long, I was meeting with God less and less.
One morning, (I actually had a devotional time) the Lord very clearly led me to Daniel 1:12-17 when Daniel and his friends asked to be tested, not to eat the portion of the kings delicacies and wine, but to eat a simple diet and water. After the 10 day "trial period", these young men had amazing health, knowledge, wisdom and understanding and Daniel had understanding in dreams and visions.
God convicted me that I was feasting on "cake, ice cream, cotton candy" at the table of the "king" of this world, rather that being satisfied and fed at the Lord's table on the Word and the living waters. I was losing my taste for the heavenly Manna, Jesus, and the cup from the Lord's hand and settling for the temporary, empty offerings from the enemy of my soul.
I'm also not saying everything on TV is bad, or movies, food, etc... but I'm agreeing with Doc, that we christians have to be very careful that our minds are not "on earthly things". Our hearts must be set on God, heavenly things, righteousness, the will of God....
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Luke 12:34

Upvote 0

bananas07

May 16, 2005
The Boonies
✟7,965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
growingupinhim said:
very well said..we must abide..and have moderation..
in america there so much excess..and lack of self control..lust, etc..may we live simple lives, and not caught up in every convient way..but with hard work and dillgence.

i agree. there is so little control in peoples' lives now, and we need to concentrate on what we're here for.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

School's Out!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟571,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
growingupinhim said:
very well said..we must abide..and have moderation..
in america there so much excess..and lack of self control..lust, etc..may we live simple lives, and not caught up in every convient way..but with hard work and dillgence.

Sadly we do take things for granted and we get caught up in our everyday routine lives! :sigh:

Upvote 0