When was the Sacrament of Marriage instituted?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,672,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question: I was wondering when the Sacrament of Marriage was instituted? I always assumed it was at the marriage feast in Cana?

— Ellen Hannan, New Jersey

Answer: The Sacrament of Holy Matrimony has its origin in God, who instituted it at the dawn of the human race. In the second chapter of Genesis, we read that God made Adam and placed him in the Garden of Eden. And though the Garden was beautiful, God declared it was not good for the man to be alone. A suitable helpmate needed to be made for him. Hence, the Lord formed Eve out of the rib from Adam’s side. At this moment God then teaches: “That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body” (Gn 2:24).

Although, at this point, the term “sacrament” is not used, marriage is clearly seen as a work of God himself who sets it forth with a structure: one man for one woman who cling to each other until death do they part. This structure makes sense because God also says to the first couple: “Be fertile and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it” (Gn 1:28). Therefore, holy matrimony takes its structure from what is necessary and best for children. A man and a woman are necessary so that children can be conceived. Further, it is best for children to have a father and a mother in a stable and lasting relationship so they can learn trust, loyalty, patience and forgiveness. To have a father and a mother (not two fathers, two mothers, or other recently proposed alternatives) is necessary for children so they can learn the masculine and feminine genius of being human. To intentionally subject children to something different and less than God’s plan is an injustice to them.

Continued below.

• Agree
Reactions: WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Question: I was wondering when the Sacrament of Marriage was instituted? I always assumed it was at the marriage feast in Cana?

— Ellen Hannan, New Jersey

Answer: The Sacrament of Holy Matrimony has its origin in God, who instituted it at the dawn of the human race. In the second chapter of Genesis, we read that God made Adam and placed him in the Garden of Eden. And though the Garden was beautiful, God declared it was not good for the man to be alone. A suitable helpmate needed to be made for him. Hence, the Lord formed Eve out of the rib from Adam’s side. At this moment God then teaches: “That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body” (Gn 2:24).

Although, at this point, the term “sacrament” is not used, marriage is clearly seen as a work of God himself who sets it forth with a structure: one man for one woman who cling to each other until death do they part. This structure makes sense because God also says to the first couple: “Be fertile and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it” (Gn 1:28). Therefore, holy matrimony takes its structure from what is necessary and best for children. A man and a woman are necessary so that children can be conceived. Further, it is best for children to have a father and a mother in a stable and lasting relationship so they can learn trust, loyalty, patience and forgiveness. To have a father and a mother (not two fathers, two mothers, or other recently proposed alternatives) is necessary for children so they can learn the masculine and feminine genius of being human. To intentionally subject children to something different and less than God’s plan is an injustice to them.

Continued below.
The unfortunate and often swept under the rug statistic is a higher suicide rate among children [teens] who are raised in gay relationships.

Upvote 0