when u ask God for forgiveness does that include future sins?

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
when u ask God for forgiveness does that include future sins? I know its wrong to sin just cause u know you'll be forgiven, but do i have to ask forgiveness after every sin? i think its good to, but is it absolutly nessasary?

MY SISTER,
YES, IT IS INDEED ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

The idea of asking God in advance for forgiveness of future sins is an unthinkable and meaningless act.

In order for a sin to be forgiven, it must be REPENTED of.

In order for repentence to be SINCERE, it must contain A. Sorrow for having committed the sin; and B. A firm purposing to not, with God's help, repeat the sin again.

How could you possibly apply the above criteria to a future sin?

ephraim

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
i just have this fear of dying before asking for forgiveness of a sin.

MY DEAR SISTER,

AS SOON AS YOU REALIZE THAT YOU HAVE COMMITTED A SIN--CONFESS IT!

God keeps short books! What possible reason can you have for not confessing a sin as quickly as the Holy Spirit makes you aware of it? Our Lord has told us to be ready to go at any time. An important part of this readiness is to have no unconfessed sins on our consciences.

My advice in this regard is, at the end of every day, to run a quick "video replay" of the day and, before going to sleep, confess everything you feel impressed was a sin during the day. i guarantee you will sleep better for so doing!

ephraim

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
i feel like im not a very good Christian. what if i dont feel truly sorry when im asking for forgiveness :_(

MY SISTER,

If you have sinned how can you NOT feel sorry knowing you have hurt the One Who loves you enough to give His life for you that your sinning might cease and be forgiven?

You are confusing me a little--but i do admire your honesty.

ephraim

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
what if i cant remember every thing? do i have to ask forgivess for each individual sin? ive always said 'Lord please forgive me for all my sins"

MY SISTER,

That which you cannot remember is not held against you. However, if you pray that the Holy Spirit will aid you in remembering your sins, all the important stuff will eventually come to light and be disposed of. God is much more interested in our honesty than in our remembering every little detail, but generic confessions such as "please forgive everything sinful thing i have done in the last 16 years" won't work because they are meaningless.

Once you are "caught up", confession at the end of each day, as previously suggested, will make your job much simpler and must less stressful.

ephraim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
i know its wrong when i sin, but i dont feel sad and very upset for every little sin. is that wrong?

MY SISTER,

We should not feel "upset for every little sin", but we should feel sad knowing that our Lord has been hurt by what we have done.

When you accidentially or on purpose hurt a good friend, don't you feel sad then and want to do what is necessary to make things right again between you and your friend? How much more should this apply to grieving your Lord, God, and Savior--your FRIEND BEYOND ALL FRIENDS?

ephraim

Upvote 0

Mskedi

Senior Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
✟21,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I would think praying to avoid sin successfully would be more prudent a prayer about future sin than asking for forgiveness preemptively. We are to strive to be perfect, though we have a bad habit of falling short. It doesn't mean we should just be complacent about sin.

As far as forgetting sins... I'm sure we all do it. Some of us realize one day that something we've been doing habitually most of our lives is sin. That's one of the reasons I like the prayer used in Catholic, Episcopal, Methodist and some other denominations that asks forgiveness for "what we have done and what we have left undone." It cover just about everything and it makes me reflect on what, specifically, those things have been throughout the week.

I'm more or less rambling at this point. Hope it helps a bit. :)

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As far as forgetting sins... I'm sure we all do it. Some of us realize one day that something we've been doing habitually most of our lives is sin.

YES! i am wondering if perhaps our "forgetting" sins is God's way of shielding us from the whole and total ugly truth about ourselves by feeding it to us a piece at a time rather than beating us over the head with it all at once. (i am assuming here that the "forgetting" is HONEST and not WILLFUL.)

God's dealing with the sin in me appears to be progressive--sort of like beginning with the tip of an iceberg and working down. It seems i am shown an area of sinfulness and guided into dealing with it by and through the Holy Spirit. i picture this process as the Holy Spirit wandering around in the basement of my soul with a flashlight, from time to time shining the light into dark corners and closets, illuminating the sins in that area while the rest of the basement remains in darkness. So i get my broom and, with God's help, clean the illuminated sinful area up as nice and tidy as possible. i then go to sit down and take a break, when i notice the Holy Spirit has moved on and is shining the Light of Truth into another corner which is dirtier and messier than the previous one. Knowing myself and the size of my dirty basement, i believe this process will continue until the Lord returns.

Soooooo . . . perhaps sins are not really "forgotten" but just haven't come around to be dealt with yet.

(i hope this made at least a little bit of sense!)

IN CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
im still worried about this though, what if i died while commiting a sin or something like that?

MY DEAR SISTER,

If you don't mind me saying so, your preoccupation with this topic indicates to me that you have a very twisted perception of who God is and what He is about. i believe you see God as some kind of cosmic judge just waiting for you to mess up so he can punish you in some terrible way.

GOD IS LOVE!

What part of that don't you understand?

What part of God's infinite and eternal Love for you haven't you accepted yet?

What part of "GOD IS PATIENT WITH YOU, BEING UNWILLING THAT ANY SHOULD PERISH, BUT THAT EVERYONE COME TO REPENTANCE."
(2 Peter 3:9)

MY SISTER--DO THE BEST YOU CAN TO LIVE THE GOSPEL!

TRUST IN GOD'S MERCY AND LOVE FOR YOU!

BE AT PEACE!

WITH LOVE IN CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

hannah77

Jul 1, 2007
✟8,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ur definitly right!! im just scared if i died while sinning that God couldnt let me go to Heaven. trust me i know how good God is though. He's done some things in my life that amaze me!! i wonder sometimes if i am scrupulous. i read about it somewhere on the internet. i dont know if its a real thing or not. its probly not a bad thing to be though. it could have somthing to do w/ my ocd.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ur definitly right!! im just scared if i died while sinning that God couldnt let me go to Heaven. trust me i know how good God is though. He's done some things in my life that amaze me!! i wonder sometimes if i am scrupulous. i read about it somewhere on the internet. i dont know if its a real thing or not. its probly not a bad thing to be though. it could have somthing to do w/ my ocd.

YES! i will say without fear of contradiction that you are the most scrupulous i have yet met on this Forum.;)

Scrupulousity is a major tool Satan uses against young Christians to convince them that they are beyond the pale of God's forgiveness and will sooner or later be damned to hell by an angry God who is tired of them messing up. SOUND FAMILIAR?

NOW I STRONGLY SUGGEST, MY DEAR FEARFUL SISTER, THAT YOU SPEND YOUR TIME AND ENERGY FOCUSING AND GOD'S LOVE FOR YOU AND STOP ALLOWING THE EVIL ONE TO PLAY WITH YOUR HEAD!

Focus on develop the same degree of PERFECT LOVE for God that God has always had--and always will have--for you! REMEMBER:

"THERE IS NO FEAR IN LOVE. BUT PERFECT LOVE DRIVES OUT FEAR, BECAUSE FEAR HAS TO DO WITH PUNISHMENT. THE ONE WHO FEARS IS NOT MADE PERFECT IN LOVE."
(I John 4:18)

WITH LOVE IN CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0