Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For the last several decades, it has been common to hear America described as a “post-Christian nation.” This does not mean that America can never turn back to some of its very Christian roots. Rather, it means that what used to be Christian-based cultural norms are no longer norms today.

The implications of this are massive, representing a seismic cultural shift. It is imperative that we respond rightly.

A few years ago, I was speaking to a black pastor in Charlotte, North Carolina. He told me that when he was growing up, any adult in the neighborhood who saw a child misbehave could correct that child or even discipline him. Doing that today might get you shot.

Continued below.
When the Larger Culture Abandons God and Biblical Values | The Stream

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
A few years ago, I was speaking to a black pastor in Charlotte, North Carolina. He told me that when he was growing up, any adult in the neighborhood who saw a child misbehave could correct that child or even discipline him. Doing that today might get you shot.

My parents never permitted that nor did my grandparents. I forbade it completely. The correct response is speaking to the parent. You should never touch anyone’s child.

~bella

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And just what exactly are those "Biblical values"?

Usually, any good Christian thrift or used-book store will have numerous copies of the Bible in stock, and usually, they'll give you one for free if you ask. I recommend you pick one up, and read it. The values you asked about are clearly delineated inside the book, and if you have trouble puzzling some of the passages out, I'm sure that anyone here would be happy to break them down and explain them to you.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For the last several decades, it has been common to hear America described as a “post-Christian nation.” This does not mean that America can never turn back to some of its very Christian roots. Rather, it means that what used to be Christian-based cultural norms are no longer norms today.

The implications of this are massive, representing a seismic cultural shift. It is imperative that we respond rightly.

Continued below.

As a child who grew up in section 8 housing, I can confirm what the black pastor experienced. I will say though, that the rule of thumb was if you knew the parents, then it was acceptable. Otherwise, you dragged his butt to his mom and let her deal with it...which usually resulted in future permission to take care of the problem lol.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a child who grew up in section 8 housing, I can confirm what the black pastor experienced. I will say though, that the rule of thumb was if you knew the parents, then it was acceptable. Otherwise, you dragged his butt to his mom and let her deal with it...which usually resulted in future permission to take care of the problem lol.
Yeah it is usually a trusted friend that does that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

My parents never permitted that nor did my grandparents. I forbade it completely. The correct response is speaking to the parent. You should never touch anyone’s child.

~bella

It was definitely more of a cultural thing than anything else.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Usually, any good Christian thrift or used-book store will have numerous copies of the Bible in stock, and usually, they'll give you one for free if you ask. I recommend you pick one up, and read it. The values you asked about are clearly delineated inside the book, and if you have trouble puzzling some of the passages out, I'm sure that anyone here would be happy to break them down and explain them to you.

I don't think we would all agree on them or how they are practically lived out.
What Does the Bible Say About Christian Values and Christian Life?
The 9 Christian Values That Change Lives

Since the first century, The Bible has summarized Christians values as the Fruit of the Spirit. The list, written by the Apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatians includes:

• Love
  • Joy
  • Peace
  • Patience
  • Kindness
  • Goodness
  • Faithfulness
  • Gentleness
  • Self-control
Christian values - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was a tiny kid, maybe two or three years old---and this was back in the Pleistocene Epoch, bear in mind---every adult in the neighborhood kept an eye on everybody else's kids. I remember being very, very small, and running just because it felt good to run, and suddenly I was two blocks from home. A lady that I didn't know called me by name and asked me, "What are you doing way down here?" I turned around and beat it for home. I found out years later from my mother that the woman had watched me carefully until I was safely back in my own yard. "I didn't want anything to happen to him," she told my mom.

But, that was back when the Standard Model for American culture was Mayberry, NC, instead of Grand Theft Auto. It really was a "village", but probably not in the way Ms. Clinton of Unhappy Memory envisioned it. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there a pot you won't stir?
Isn't that why we are here?:scratch:

It depends on what you're making. A good kettle of beans usually requires a lot of stirring to keep them from burning to the bottom of the kettle, but something like chicken soup, not so much---give it a swipe every ten, twelve minutes until hot, and you're good.

It's been my experience that the thicker the combination, the more stirring it will require. Turkey broth will come to a rolling boil and you don't need to stir it at all---it stirs itself; but a heavy beef stew will call for a lot more attention. You also have to watch your heat----if you're trying to cook the stuff too fast, you will be constantly stirring to keep from scorching it to the pan.

Follow me for more recipe ideas.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on what you're making. A good kettle of beans usually requires a lot of stirring to keep them from burning to the bottom of the kettle, but something like chicken soup, not so much---give it a swipe every ten, twelve minutes until hot, and you're good.

It's been my experience that the thicker the combination, the more stirring it will require. Turkey broth will come to a rolling boil and you don't need to stir it at all---it stirs itself; but a heavy beef stew will call for a lot more attention. You also have to watch your heat----if you're trying to cook the stuff too fast, you will be constantly stirring to keep from scorching it to the pan.

Pardon the diversion but you are reminding me of something i was thinking about earlier. And that is how prior generations, especially ancient, seemed to be more adept at using metaphor, images and analogy in beautifully descriptive ways that we today expect to take almost literally. Take for example this reading from Ezekiel speaking of Israel:
"Then I passed by and saw you weltering in your blood. I said to you: Live in your blood and grow like a plant in the field. You grew and developed, you came to the age of puberty. Again I passed by you and saw that you were now old enough for love. So I spread the corner of my cloak over you to cover your nakedness; I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you; you became mine, says the Lord God. Then I bathed you with water, washed away your blood, and anointed you with oil. I clothed you with an embroidered gown, put sandals of fine leather on your feet; I gave you a fine linen sash and silk robes to wear. I adorned you with jewelry: I put bracelets on your arms, a necklace about your neck, a ring in your nose, pendants in your ears, and a glorious diadem upon your head."

As I read your post I was interpreting not as cooking advice but as conversational advice, communication advice. Maybe you were telling me some topics do not need to be "stirred" as much. But then something like Jello, as thin as it is, needs to be stirred in order to mix well and be able to jell.

Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don’t Mix the Elixir of Life With Poison
As expressed by Prof. Gerald Sittser in his book Resilient Faith: How the Early Christian ‘Third Way’ Changed the World:

The fact is: Christianity in America is declining, in both numbers and influence. The culture is changing, and we must therefore recognize that we live in a world very different from the one that existed even half a century ago during what appeared to be the “golden age” of American Christianity.

You probably sense the change and observe the trends, too. You know about the decline of mainline churches; the lack of growth in evangelical churches; the rise of “dones” (Christian dropouts) and “nones” (those people who refuse to identify with any religious tradition); … the creeping loss of religious freedom; the growing dominance of secularity in the public square; the deterioration of traditional morality in the entertainment industry.

(Other parts of this quote, which I skipped over here, are important but would take us off track.)

As a result of this trend, there is a general lack of consciousness of God, which leads to a decreased reverence for God, which, in turn, leads to the rejection of concepts like divine judgment and retribution. It is a paradigmatic shift in the culture, and it is something that must be reintroduced through our personal example, through much prayer for the nation, through uncompromised yet compassionate and wise preaching, through solid apologetics, and through helping individuals encounter God for themselves.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biblical Values are sisters to virtues. I thought I would add a few from Jewish tradition.
Jewish Values Page

Clearly our culture is more aligned with vice than virtue. Is that something new I am not sure. Or is it simply more explicit? But I think it has little to do with decline of mainline churches or lack of growth in evangelical churches. I am not even sure it has much to do with belief in divine judgment and retribution. I do think it has more to do with narcissism, self centeredness, and self gratification. We have become our own primary idols.

• Agree
Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I swear, you and Michie are my favorites here. Michie for their posts, and you for your sass. I love it

Upvote 0