• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In the past I’ve supported homosexuality, and I thought girls were just as attractive as guys.
When I became a real Christian, Jesus sent someone to tell me that lgbt is not love and from the devil. I stopped supporting it.
When I saw a girl all I saw was, well, a girl.
With my ocd acting up, I’m worried if I’m actually attracted. I know this probably from my intrusive thoughts/ocd but it feels so real and scary! I had a nightmare about it.
Any advice?
(PS, if you recognize me and remember me from my last posts, I’m doing better with the obsessive fear of idolatry! :) God is near me.)

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Worrying about it might actually lead to attraction, so that's another reason why worrying about it would be self-defeating. Who you are in Christ though, is something that you can remember. We are not defined by what tempts us. We are defined by the righteousness that Christ has put on us. (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Worrying about it might actually lead to attraction, so that's another reason why worrying about it would be self-defeating. Who you are in Christ though, is something that you can remember. We are not defined by what tempts us. We are defined by the righteousness that Christ has put on us. (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).
Thank you!

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0
May 4, 2020
Chicago
✟15,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Attraction is involuntarily; you have no control over what you are, and are not attracted to; you only have control over your actions and the choices you make.

I suffer from severe OCD and can tell you the more you overanalyze things, the worse your OCD will get. If your OCD leads you to believe that "God" will turn away from you over any number of things, you are probably suffering from a form of OCD known as "scrupulosity" -- if you haven't heard of it, look it up. It will probably help you.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the past I’ve supported homosexuality, and I thought girls were just as attractive as guys.
When I became a real Christian, Jesus sent someone to tell me that lgbt is not love and from the devil. I stopped supporting it.
When I saw a girl all I saw was, well, a girl.
With my ocd acting up, I’m worried if I’m actually attracted. I know this probably from my intrusive thoughts/ocd but it feels so real and scary! I had a nightmare about it.
Any advice?
(PS, if you recognize me and remember me from my last posts, I’m doing better with the obsessive fear of idolatry! :) God is near me.)
This is actually a really common obsession, called HOCD. There's more about it on this site: Welcome

Upvote 0