Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I was a new believer years ago, we sang the following song in Sunday school class:

I Am Covered Over With The Robe of Righteousness

"I am covered over with the robe of righteousness that
Jesus gives to me, gives to me;

I am covered over with the precious blood of Jesus
And he lives in me, lives in me,

Oh what joy it is to know my Heavenly Father loves me so,
He gives to me, my Jesus.

And when He looks at me He sees not what I used to be, but
He sees Jesus, Jesus."

I enjoyed the song and it certainly seemed Scripturally correct, but I always struggled with the last line: "He sees Jesus, Jesus".

My problem was not with "who I USED to be", but who I still was in the flesh - an utter wretch. Though I understood theologically that I was in a daily war between the new creation and the old sinful nature, I just couldn't comprehend how God could see Jesus when He looked at me.

The Lord finally led me to the one Scripture that settled it for me:

Galatians 23:26-27 NIV

"So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ."

Now it made sense what the "robe of righteousness" actually was - Jesus Himself! This opened up other Scripture, especially:

Jude 1:24-35 ESV

"Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of His glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen."

This is why we who are believers are not to have a "fearful expectation of judgement" because we are destined to be presented to Him "blameless" with "great joy" because we are "clothed with Christ".

When He sees us He sees Jesus, indeed!

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I was a new believer years ago, we sang the following song in Sunday school class:

I Am Covered Over With The Robe of Righteousness

"I am covered over with the robe of righteousness that
Jesus gives to me, gives to me;

I am covered over with the precious blood of Jesus
And he lives in me, lives in me,

Oh what joy it is to know my Heavenly Father loves me so,
He gives to me, my Jesus.

And when He looks at me He sees not what I used to be, but
He sees Jesus, Jesus."

I enjoyed the song and it certainly seemed Scripturally correct, but I always struggled with the last line: "He sees Jesus, Jesus".

My problem was not with "who I USED to be", but who I still was in the flesh - an utter wretch. Though I understood theologically that I was in a daily war between the new creation and the old sinful nature, I just couldn't comprehend how God could see Jesus when He looked at me.

The Lord finally led me to the one Scripture that settled it for me:

Galatians 23:26-27 NIV

"So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ."

Now it made sense what the "robe of righteousness" actually was - Jesus Himself! This opened up other Scripture, especially:

Jude 1:24-35 ESV

"Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of His glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen."

This is why we who are believers are not to have a "fearful expectation of judgement" because we are destined to be presented to Him "blameless" with "great joy" because we are "clothed with Christ".

When He sees us He sees Jesus, indeed!

Thoughts?
You are referring to "the end;" i.e., glorified in Christ.
God sees the end from the beginning.

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are referring to "the end;" i.e., glorified in Christ.
God sees the end from the beginning.
Agreed. Which is why we can boldly approach His Throne of Grace in the here and now.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0