When Black Man Was Afraid to Walk in His Upscale Community, 75 Neighbors Walked With Him

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You don't have to be angry to say the word, if he did. May not be friendly, but anyway you said he was being chased by angry men, and he said that after the shooting. I'd be angry if someone attacked me, too.
You don't get to claim self defense when you provoke someone who thinks you are going to shoot them. And I still say that they were angry, otherwise they wold not have hunted that young man with guns. You defense of them is not admirable. Makes me think you would have acted as they did if you were in their place.
Think of what you're saying. They hunted him to kill him, in broad daylight on a residential street. And one of "they" was video recording it. If you were planning to murder someone, would you video record it?
They did it.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You don't get to claim self defense when you provoke someone who thinks you are going to shoot them.
You saw the video yourself. He's standing there with a gun. Arbery charges at him from a distance and grabs it. They didn't provoke that, it was just a really bad decision.
And I still say that they were angry, otherwise they wold not have hunted that young man with guns. You defense of them is not admirable. Makes me think you would have acted as they did if you were in their place.
I very well may have acted the same if I really thought someone was a burglar in my neighborhood, regardless of their skin color.
They did it.
That's too far-fetched for me to believe.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You saw the video yourself. He's standing there with a gun. Arbery charges at him from a distance and grabs it. They didn't provoke that, it was just a really bad decision.

I very well may have acted the same if I really thought someone was a burglar in my neighborhood, regardless of their skin color.

That's too far-fetched for me to believe.

You would have chased a stranger with a gun, and got two accomplices ? OK...Gotcha.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I thought crimes were being committed by him, maybe, yeah.
OK...I see. So you would assume guilt by suspicion and you would not even consider that the person was innocent? There was no crime in progress in the Arbrey incident. He was jogging which is no crime.

Upvote 0

DaveISBA

Mar 1, 2020
Richmond
✟33,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
OK...I see. So you would assume guilt by suspicion and you would not even consider that the person was innocent? There was no crime in progress in the Arbrey incident. He was jogging which is no crime.
I think there are those whites who live in a bubble perpetrated by the news media! Many whites cannot conceive what it is like to live in the "hood"!
As tragic as the Arbrey incident was...that happened in Feb! How many times before or after did you hear about anything like that happening in a white neighborhood? CNN, ABC and the rest will make this one incident headline news but ignore the far greater danger to blacks...the constant gunfire, shootings, stabbings, wounding and killings, not to mention theft, that go on everyday in black neighborhoods! Is because it's just black on black, no big deal?

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the constant gunfire, shootings, stabbings, wounding and killings, not to mention theft, that go on everyday in black neighborhoods! Is because it's just black on black, no big deal?

Speaking as an Australian, I continue to find that astonishing.

I find it especially astonishing that the people who say "black lives matter" seem to just ignore all those deaths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Vigilantism is wrong, not least because it leads to this kind of tragic mistake.

Of course, if Glynn County police had been more responsive to the string of burglaries in Satilla Shores, the vigilantism might not have occurred.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Vigilantism is wrong, not least because it leads to this kind of tragic mistake.

Of course, if Glynn County police had been more responsive to the string of burglaries in Satilla Shores, the vigilantism might not have occurred.
I agree with you that people should not be vigilantes for the exact reasons you state. And white people need to lose the mindset that every black man is a criminal. You are in Australia so you might not know of the trend in America of white people calling the police on black people just because they exist(basically).I am glad that a lot of these instances are recorded on cell phones because it is so ridiculous that most people would not want to believe it.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think there are those whites who live in a bubble perpetrated by the news media! Many whites cannot conceive what it is like to live in the "hood"!
As tragic as the Arbrey incident was...that happened in Feb! How many times before or after did you hear about anything like that happening in a white neighborhood? CNN, ABC and the rest will make this one incident headline news but ignore the far greater danger to blacks...the constant gunfire, shootings, stabbings, wounding and killings, not to mention theft, that go on everyday in black neighborhoods! Is because it's just black on black, no big deal?
Crime is a big deal no matter where it occurs.While Arbrey was gunned down,there are incidents every day of black people being harassed just by being where "some" believe they don't belong. I know you have heard about it. There are dangerous neighborhoods. But my point is neighborhoods that are deemed "safe" are not "safe" for people of color. The Brunswick Ga area is close to a fort and an air base.There are many people of color in that area, and it should be safe for anyone to jog.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And white people need to lose the mindset that every black man is a criminal.

It wasn't quite that; there really was a criminal in the area, and surveillance video showed that the criminal really was black, and Arbery really did pause in his jogging to inspect a house under construction (which was, of course, only minor trespass).

I can fully understand that people mistook Arbery for a criminal. It's the taking of justice into their own hands that concerns me.

Of course, part of the issue looks to be that Satilla Shores, GA, being a poor working-class/retiree area, was set up outside Brunswick city limits. That way nobody has to pay Brunswick city taxes. But it also means that they were stuck with county police, who don't seem to have been fully up to the job.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It wasn't quite that; there really was a criminal in the area, and surveillance video showed that the criminal really was black, and Arbery really did pause in his jogging to inspect a house under construction (which was, of course, only minor trespass).
Yeah, and all black men "fit the description":rolleyes:. Boy, how many times have we heard that one.
I can fully understand that people mistook Arbery for a criminal. It's the taking of justice into their own hands that concerns me.
But would the reaction been the same if he had been white?

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But would the reaction been the same if he had been white?

I would guess so; Arbery's walking into the house under construction would presumably have been seen as suspicious in a white man too.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would guess so; Arbery's walking into the house under construction would presumably have been seen as suspicious in a white man too.
There is video of white people stopping by that same site. They were not seen as suspect.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember doing that with my dad when I was young. He was a former carpenter and like to look over the work. We never thought of it as trespassing, never would have expected someone to come after us with a gun.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Vigilantism is wrong,...
This was not vigilantism. By your thinking, I should just mind my own business if I were to see a small child being abducted.
...not least because it leads to this kind of tragic mistake.
What led to it was the actions of Arbery. If a law enforcement officer had been in McMichaels' shoes you'd have had the same result, except quicker. A trained cop likely would not have let Arbery get close enough to grab his gun. He would have shot sooner, which indicates to me that McMichaels was probably very reluctant to shoot Arbery.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This was not vigilantism. By your thinking, I should just mind my own business if I were to see a small child being abducted.

But no one here was abducting a small child. McMichaels had no business pulling a gun on this man; Arbery had every right to defend himself.

Upvote 0