Whatsoever you do to the least of My brethren, that you do unto Me.

Is sarcasm a sin according to the Holy Bible?

• Yes, sarcasm is always sinful behavior.

• Yes, except when I use it to belittle myself.

• It's a sin only if used against a Christian.

• No, it's never a sin.

Results are only viewable after voting.

J.A.I

. Galatians 6:10 .
Jan 28, 2004
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
chanter said:
Aren't satire and irony used as literary devices?

Sarcasm is mainly used in speech where we can use vocal inflections to deliver a sword to the heart of our listener. Indeed, since it is designed to cut or give pain, I cannot see the use of sarcasm except as sinful.

I disagree. And when the poll was made, there was no choice for people who feel the way I and others do.

Sarcasm is not always sinful.

That's like saying sex is always a sin. It's a sin when it's USED wrongly, but when used in a proper context, it's not.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sarcasm is not the same as sex.

Sex was created by God; therefore it is good and is to be used for the procreation of our species.

Read 1 Cor 13:4-7

Good News New Testament said:
Love is patient and kind; it is not jealous or conceited or proud; love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable; love does not keep a record of wrongs; love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth. Love never gives up; and it's faith, hope, and patience never fail.

Doesn't sarcasm violate St. Paul's definition of love in 1 Cor. 13?

Upvote 0

J.A.I

Jan 28, 2004
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
I didn't say sarcasm was the same as sex.

I said that is LIKE saying sex is always a sin.

Some things are not sin depending on the way they are used.

Drinking is not a sin. Getting drunk IS.
Sex is not a sin. Sex outside of marriage IS.
Sarcasm is not a sin. Used with the wrong intent, it IS.

If I am joking around w/my mom or so on, and we're being sarcastic, it isn't sin. And there ARE instances in the Bible where God is a bit sarcastic.

If I am being sarcastic w/someone with the intent of hurting them in some way, that is sin.

Upvote 0

Ceris

I R the Nutness (and I love sedatta )
Mar 10, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,150.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Before I finally matured (and grew closer to God) about three years ago, I started to use sarcasm a lot. In fact I was using it to the point that my family was starting to get hurt. While I do not think all sarcasm is a sin (as Jai said, it has to do with the intent of the heart), one must be very careful when using it, because it can to lead to hurt, even when we do not mean to. There is a reason sarcasm originally meant "to cut flesh".

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
mpshiel said:
So people really believe that if I come home and my parents say:

"We need you to clean out the septic tank."
and I say,
(sarcasm) "Yes, that sounds delightful."

Then I have sinned?

Nope. Peeuw! (I have no idea how that is spelled!) :D

Upvote 0

Paula

Veteran
Oct 15, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟17,178.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
chanter said:
Aren't satire and irony used as literary devices?
Yes. Sarcasm (like irony, satire, parody, caricature, or any other literary device), can be (but is not always) bitter and hurtful. These devices are also frequently used by comedians and political satirists. As several others have already pointed out, sarcasm can also be playful, like when you walk into your office late and a co-worker lampoons you with, "How nice of you to join us this morning!" It's just a mild jab meant to tease, but I wouldn't take it so seriously as to call it sinful.

Irony is actually saying the opposite of what you really mean. It can be just as bad, or sometimes worse, than sarcasm. An example of irony as used in the Bible is the inscription which Pilate had placed above Jesus on the cross, calling him "King of the Jews." This is the worst example of irony I can think of, and of course, it was used to blaspheme and mock.

Sarcasm is mainly used in speech where we can use vocal inflections to deliver a sword to the heart of our listener. Indeed, since it is designed to cut or give pain, I cannot see the use of sarcasm except as sinful.
Here I'd have to disagree. I didn't vote in your poll because of there was no choice that sarcasm can sometimes (but not always) be sinful.

Upvote 0

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Lord, Humble Me
Jan 25, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟1,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
chanter said:
These words of Christ are very clear.

We will be judged by Christ on how we treat our brothers.

What is your opinion about sarcasm or the use of the rollyeyed smilie :rolleyes:?

Do you think this is appropriate of Christians?

I would have added another option. Sarcasm is okay when dealing with the self-righteous or those who blatently disregard the clear teachings of the Bible.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wilfred of Ivanhoe said:
I would have added another option. Sarcasm is okay when dealing with the self-righteous or those who blatently disregard the clear teachings of the Bible.

That is my question. Isn't sarcasm a violation of 1 Cor. 13?

Isn't it self-righteous to use sarcasm against those who blatently disregard the clear teachings of the Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Lord, Humble Me
Jan 25, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟1,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
That is my question. Isn't sarcasm a violation of 1 Cor. 13?

Isn't it self-righteous to use sarcasm against those who blatently disregard the clear teachings of the Bible?

Please understand that I have not come to a conclusion on this issue. Therefore, until I do, I refrain from using sarcasm, but am gentle with those who blatently twist and disregard direct commandments of scripture.

I know that Jesus was pretty blunt with the self-righteous of his times. Some would say, "But that was Jesus, the son of God, and you are not the son of God." However, I would respond, "But aren't we suppost to be Christ-like?" As I've said before, Christ was gentle to the sinner who was penitent in regards to his sin. However, Christ was quite harsh to those who held the truth in unrighteousness. Isn't that being Christ-Like?

As to paganism, I quickly suggest that people look at the manner in which Elijah humiliated the 400 prophets of Baal.

Upvote 0

J.A.I

Jan 28, 2004
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
To me, God has used sarcasm. Remember the story about the quails ? How the people kept complaining about eating all that manna ?

Numbers 11:18-20 GW
18 Tell the people to get ready for tomorrow. They must be set apart as holy. Then they will eat meat. I, the LORD, heard them crying and saying, 'If only we had meat to eat! We were better off in Egypt!' So I will give them meat.
19 They won't eat it just for one or two days, or five, or ten, or twenty days,
20 but for a whole month, until it comes out of their ears and they're sick of it. This is because they rejected the LORD who is here among them and cried in front of him, asking, 'Why did we ever leave Egypt?'"

God's sense of humor and no-nonsense shine right there. It was pretty much like, "Ok you want this ? Alright, here you go. You think you want that quail ? I'll give you quail alright! Until it comes out of your ears!"

Upvote 0

Ceris

I R the Nutness (and I love sedatta )
Mar 10, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,150.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To go off track for 1 post: this is what Jai was referring to.

Edit:added the actual msn smiley as well.

Attachments

• sunglasses.jpg
    sunglasses.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 74
  • sunglasses smiley.JPG
    sunglasses smiley.JPG
    779 bytes · Views: 114
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I dunno, I would be very hesitant about saying that using sarcasm is a sin. I mean, when I read some of the things that Jesus says to the pharisees and even his own apostles at times, it looks a lot like sarcasm to me. So, since we know that Jesus was without sin, I'd say from what I've observed that sarcasm itself isn't sinful. I would say that it can be used in a sinful way though.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Aria said:
These words of Christ are very clear.

We will be judged by Christ on how we treat our brothers.

What is your opinion about sarcasm or the use of the rollyeyed smilie :rolleyes:?

Do you think this is appropriate of Christians?

I at times have issues with sarcasm more in real ife than here. I don't know that it is a sin but it does make for ill feelings at times. The roll eyes smiley, sometimes I am so tempted to use it but I don't, I think it should be done away with, I find it totally disrespectful. I would rather someone just be sarcastic with me.

Upvote 0

sad astronaut

Robot in Disguise
Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
✟749.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
flesh99 said:
Anything that is not meant to hurt or belittle anyone. For instance when I tell my brother "Yeah, ...right, that's your story and you're stickin' to it". He knows it's a joke, I know it's a joke, and no-one is harmed.
I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with me saying to myself or anyone else, "Oh yes, I loooovvveee doing yardwork."

Upvote 0