What's your opinion on healing ministries?

Are you for or against healing ministries?

• For

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Against

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Other (explain in response)

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm expressly against healing ministries in the vein of those who 'touch to heal' and whatnot, as I find it rooted in pagan practices and not historic Christianity, in which healings were dramatic and obviously of God and were real and lasting.

I will concur that there are charlatans who run what they call healing ministries but are workers of deceit seeking to enrich themselves through dishonest gain and who propagate false doctrines, even going so far so as to twist certain passages of scripture to their own ends thereby deceiving those who do not know the full counsel of God’s Word.

But I would not go so far as to say that there aren’t any legitimate healing ministries about in which the power of God is made manifest. The best thing to do when it comes to such matters is, as the scripture commands us to test all things (1 Thess. 5:21) and if there be need for wisdom and discernment, we must ask God for it. (Jas. 1:5)

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What is the intent of the text?

1. To convey God can't heal because of unbelief?
  2. To convey God can't heal because of unbelief because the purpose of healing is to prove the doer's message is from God?
In our discussion it was stated that the unbelief of the victim prevented healing. It should have been qualified.

Healing didn't happen because no one was asked to come out of Egypt/the world.

Healing didn't happen because no one knew the message to come out of Egypt/the world was to be conveyed.

In that sense the statement was correct. There was unbelief because there was nothing to be believed, because nothing was asked of the victims or the spectators/witnesses. The healer had no mission, had himself not come out of Egypt, unlike Moses and Christ, was like Simon Magus.

Jesus still healed in Mark 6, but it wasn't bread, it didn't feed children towards nourishing faith. The feeders were as dogs under the table. The purpose of the work is not to relieve physical sickness or hunger, but to convert/revive both victim and spectators, bring them back on track to what they had been chosen to do. The Syro-phoenician woman wasn't chosen.

God honours requests for healing even without purpose, by healers who have not switched loyalties, but the healer must eventually work out that purpose, AND switch:

Mark 9
39But Jesus said, "Don't stop him, because no one who works a miracle in my name can slander me soon afterwards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The prayer for wisdom and discernment starts even before witnessing manifestations of God's communications, works and words.

We must ask for bread, signs from God, mostly from the miracle that the Bible is:

Matthew 6
Give us this day our daily bread.

We must ask for revelation, interpretation of those signs:

John 3
4“How can a man be born when he is old?” Nicodemus asked. “Can he enter his mother’s womb a second time to be born?”

The text is old, ranging from 2 to 4 millennia. The culture is foreign. The words have a wide range of semantic meaning. The parts of the message can have a multitude of combinations and permutations. It's an impossible task without divine help:

John 14
26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

Acts of the Apostles 1
4And while they were gathered together, He commanded them: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift the Father promised, which you have heard Me discuss.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"The prayer for wisdom and discernment starts even before witnessing manifestations of God's communications, works and words."

I never said it didn't.

"The text is old, ranging from 2 to 4 millennia. The culture is foreign. The words have a wide range of semantic meaning. The parts of the message can have a multitude of combinations and permutations. It's an impossible task without divine help"

You make it sound as though God is not capable of overcoming cultural and language barriers to make the scriptures easily understood by all who read them, just as they were in the languages in which they were first written. They were written to mean exactly what they say.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I tried to clarify the teaching that discernment is applied at the time of being approached with signs may be mistaken. Early discernment leads to preemptive screening of false teachers. Early discernment identifies the criteria: loyalty to the world or to God.

I won't stop a healer from healing. However, at some point he must ask the listener to "come out of Egypt":

Hosea 11
1When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You are a very wise Christian. God has blessed you with a great understanding. Please, keep spreading what God has opened your eyes to.

Upvote 0