United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:
Since evolution is directly observed, it could only be false if God is deceptive.

I'm talking about the concept of a Godless Evolution.

You might as well talk about "Godless plumbing." Even if plumbers don't consider God when they fix your leaky pipes, that doesn't mean that plumbing is Godless.

The notion of a fish coming out of water, reptiles forming, dinosaurs and mammals coming about then a mammal going back into the ocean to form species like the Dolphins and Whales. I don't think that can be observed if it takes place over hundreds of millions of years.

Barbarian observes:
I don't see God as deceptive.

The best lies have a little truth in them.

Like the serpent in the Garden. But God would not show us evolution if that were not the truth.

I agree with aspects and dissagree with others namely, I agree with Natural Selection but dissagree with Random Mutations having a significant role in the result of complex organs.

Directly observed. An irreducibly complex new enzyme system evolved and was observed to have done so. A new digestive organ evolved in a species of wall lizards on an island. Would you like to learn about these?

The evolution of even more complex things takes longer than a human lifetime, but then so does the growth of a giant redwood from a seed. The argument that evolution only counts if it takes too long to observe in a lifetime, is basically a dodge.

I think there is a confusion between Evolution and Adaptation.

Adaptation is a result of evolution. Not all evolution results in adaptations, but it tends to be that way. Just so I know, tell me what you understand to be the five basic premises of Darwin's theory.

If you're worried about off-topic, start a new thread. One good discussion would be those transitions you mentioned. Would you like me to show you the evidence for each of them?

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Started as electronic physicist, then as entrepreneur picked up lots of skills through having to, from marketing new business to accounts, to corporate law, to safety.

But when it comes to faith it is three fold

First - Studying post grad physics in depth , I discovered it is not at all what Dawkinsian type atheists seem to think. It is just a model of what repeats, it explains nothing, and is certainly not a fundamental underpinning of our universe. It is a pity philosophy of science is not studied in schools, so pupils would discover how silly it is to base a realist philosophy of existence based on science!

Second in catholic apologetics, I learned the hard way as a protestant then evangelical who saw the many holes in the doctrine then study of the early church and fathers led me irrevoccably back to Rome. Along the way I studied the writings of literally thousands of those, many pastors of all denominations included who made the same journey. What I discovered was most of the antic catholic rhetoric is based on myth, not knowledge: but I also discoverd few catholics could explain WHY they believed what they do. Those that come in from the outside are better equipped to explain why!

Third, "science meets faith" is my fascination. I have a massive library on many topics from eucharist miracles, to statues that bleed, the shroud and sudarium, the marian apparitions, and many other miracluous phenomena. There is far more forensic science out there supporting christian beliefs than many realise. But sadly protestants will hate it, because by and large it supports catholic interpretations eg transubstantiation.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
First - Studying post grad physics in depth , I discovered it is not at all what Dawkinsian type atheists seem to think. It is just a model of what repeats, it explains nothing, and is certainly not a fundamental underpinning of our universe. It is a pity philosophy of science is not studied in schools, so pupils would discover how silly it is to base a realist philosophy of existence based on science!

While theories do explain things (which is why they are different than laws), they don't make any claims to be an ultimate reality. Science can't do that. So all truth in science is provisional and inductive.

I wish I had said it as well as you have.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And while I wouldn't call myself an expert, I do have a certain amount of skill in photography:
31733152244_2d795c2dd2_b.jpg

Upvote 0

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟12,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're worried about off-topic, start a new thread. One good discussion would be those transitions you mentioned.

I'm currently developing a paper which will become a new thread :) look forward to seeing you there.

Your example picture is very good, you are a talented photographer.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What have you got against walrus, hippos, narwhals, wart hogs etc?

A walrus once stole my sandal, a hippo once pooed in front of me and used its tail to fling it all over, a narwhal once tricked me into thinking it was a unicorn who'd lost its legs from a wizard's curse, and a warthog once told me to have no worries for the rest of my days, which didn't work out well with my overdue phone bill.

:D

Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nice to see another devo in the crowd. What's your environment of choice? Microsoft, Java, other?

Another software engineer over here.

I wouldn't call myself an "expert" though. Even only for the reason that there are quite a few insane devs out there who'ld program circles around me without breaking a sweat.

Having said that, I certainly manage and I think I'm more then good enough for the job.
I "specialize" in the boring side of software development though: good ol' enterprise development. As in "I don't care if it looks fancy, it just needs to work! And preferably, not for a lot of money!!"

I'ld say that my "real" area of expertise is more in the analysis side of things. Apparantly, I'm awesome at translating business needs into software designs. I seem to have a "talent" for "reading between the lines" of what users tell me. They'll go like "our problem is *this* and we need a software tool for X and Y".
And I'll be all like "Actually... no... your problem is actually *that* and you don't require a tool for X and Y, you require a tool for Z - which will make everything more efficient and streamlined".

And that's how I manage to turn 1500$ projects into 50.000$ projects, LOL.
And curiously, never the other way round, HAHAHA.

As for technology, I'm all about C# .NET and for UI I prefer WPF. I used to say "xaml" but ever since they killed Silverlight...

I absolutely HATE web development. Javascript gives me the creeps. Both it and HTML are abused relics from the 90s that got totally out of control, as far as I am concerned.

I've never been a part of a team that worked on a web-application which didn't end up being a total spaghetti and clusterf... near the end of the project. At least... as opposed to a nice and clean native application that uses proper UI technology.

What about you? What do you do?

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What do I do.........What do I do. I am an avid chess player. I have been over 2000 many times my record is 2500 + My real name is Marshall my dad named me after Chief Justice Throughgood Marshall. In the 60's .
Since my Dad became a minister he raised me right and I have followed in his footsteps. Gameknot is my name on CF mainly because I am part Native American . I am Indian on my Mom's side. She was a half breed . My mom's maiden name was Walker. Also the name Moon is a family name. Both my parents have been in the ministry over 50 years.

I got straight A's in science all my life Also in math.My best subject in science is AI and think it is really a cutting-edge technology. Mainly christian history which I believe is a science.

I have been praying for us about everything and everyone I know GOD is blessing me and you every day and I need someone to be closer to me so that is why I post here.

Upvote 0

jardiniere

Oct 14, 2006
✟152,266.00
Faith
Pantheist
What I've studied: zoology, evolution. What I've hobbied in: ethics, logic, philosophy. What I'm employed as: digital photo manipulation and enhancement specializing in biology. I avoid this subforum unless I'm feeling really strong: illogic hurts my head. What I believe: everyone should follow their religion to the best of their ability, as long as it hurts no one else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'ld say that my "real" area of expertise is more in the analysis side of things. Apparantly, I'm awesome at translating business needs into software designs. I seem to have a "talent" for "reading between the lines" of what users tell me. They'll go like "our problem is *this* and we need a software tool for X and Y".
And I'll be all like "Actually... no... your problem is actually *that* and you don't require a tool for X and Y, you require a tool for Z - which will make everything more efficient and streamlined".

I have a son who does that sort of thing. The department says "we need everything", and he takes a look and says, "what you really need is.."

Most of the time, it's sales, who want the flexibilty to distort the data, or the process so that their numbers stay high.

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Problem solving in general is definitely my area of expertise. But, I also have a lot of experience with debating and argumentation, architecture and game design / procedural noise.

In regards to game design, I started getting into mapping / level design about a decade ago as a hobby. From there over the years, I learned computer scripting, digital modeling, and other skills. Eventually, I started working on vehicles, terrain generators and even a complex item storage system (which now includes RPG features - such as hunger and thirst, locking of inventories and lock-picking, crafting, smelting, backpacks and container storage, mining, shops, a loot system, encumbrance, and much more).

Recently, I got into noise algorithms, simulating randomness and procedural content generation - which is gaining popularity in games today (especially in games like Minecraft, Grow Home and No Man's Sky). When I first started getting into procedural generation, I couldn't figure out how to use the noise algorithm that was provided. So instead, I taught myself how it worked and how to apply it via Google SketchUp and by sketching. I now have a in-depth understand of noise and can manipulate various algorithms as needed.

Procedural generation in games has really become a passion of mine lately; I find it interesting and ironic that randomness doesn't actually exist, yet we can simulate randomness / variability through complex mathematics. The applications for it are nearly endless. If anyone's interested, I have some pictures of my work in my profile.

My best subject in science is AI and think it is really a cutting-edge technology.
Oh cool =) I've been wanting to get into A.I. as well; it would be great to develop intelligent bots for things like RPGs and DMs. So far, I've just been exploring how to give an A.I. bot personality and simulated emotion, but am not sure how to give it the ability to gather data and learn.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering and 25 years experience in the automotive industry, mostly in lubrication systems and engine controller calibration but enough in manufacturing and materials to know that I'm dangerous. I've got a pretty good handle on thermodynamics.

Member of the National Ski Patrol (hence my avatar).

Upvote 0