What's Your Area Of Expertise?

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Literature and mythology, and how they shape culture and our perception of history (which means I know a little history trivia). I also have decent first-hand knowledge of the American educational system, having been involved in it for the past seventeen years.

I also dabble in etymology, and I've picked up a rudimentary understanding of (and respect for) a few of the natural sciences in my travels.

(as I tell my students: When you read enough, you learn a little bit about a lot of things)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Graduate degree in physiology, 20+ years in executive management in healthcare and massive amounts of reading on my own in the field of human psychology and specifically, personality disorders. To add one thing; have done extensive personal studies on the historicity of the NT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Expertise: High energy physics (PhD + 10 years experience), genetics (mostly population genetics, 18 years experience, lots of published papers). Other education: English literature (BA, MA), some software engineering training. Other interests: history, Biblical studies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I have no expertise.

When I'm applying for a job, interviewers see my CV and:

giphy.gif

I have personally witnessed (and, perhaps participated) in discussions about solid state, quantum electrodynamics and field torsional theory in which YOU were also a significant contributor.

Weren't you on a thread talking about suitable, practical single and multi-use shielding armor? The principles and physics on the thread was sound; you all were having a good thread from what I observed.

Upvote 0

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟12,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I seek to understand reality more as a byproduct of my existence.
I spend time developing explanations to questions from mental exploration and scientific studying.

Topics on interest include:
Theology
Evolution
Technology
Philosophy
Math

I'm currently working on a paper about Evolution on the subject of Mutations. I think the greatest lies have a little truth in them to aid in being convincing. An example of this could be found in Genesis with the serpent.
I believe Evolution is a very powerful deception.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I seek to understand reality more as a byproduct of my existence.
I spend time developing explanations to questions from mental exploration and scientific studying.

Topics on interest include:
Theology
Evolution
Technology
Philosophy
Math

I'm currently working on a paper about Evolution on the subject of Mutations. I think the greatest lies have a little truth in them to aid in being convincing. An example of this could be found in Genesis with the serpent.

Let me ask you a question.

If evolution happened to be a fact, what would that do to your personal faith beliefs?

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Since evolution is directly observed, it could only be false if God is deceptive. I don't see God as being deceptive. Evolution just happens to be more efficient than design for complicated problems. Why wouldn't He use it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟12,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask you a question.
If evolution happened to be a fact, what would that do to your personal faith beliefs?

I used to believe in Evolution.
I believed, my existence was the result of a universe being compatible with life and this compatibility was sheer coincidence. It was the result of Evolution that I experienced consciousness in a world where consciousness is a byproduct of the arrangement of matter, HOWEVER I was still nothing more than matter...
I now see, I believed I was nothing more than a Robot. Thus is because: from my studying of life at the microscopic level it becomes comparable to molecular machinery.

If Evolution happened to be fact, what would I Do? Well, I would wonder why my life drastically changed after I started a relationship with God. I would wonder why my prayers have been answered and why I live a life of experiences, only to die making my existence as pointless as everything that has been forgotten.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I used to believe in Evolution.

That was your first error. One does not "believe in" a natural phenomenon.

I believed, my existence was the result of a universe being compatible with life and this compatibility was sheer coincidence.

That was your second mistake. That's not what the theory of evolution is about, nor does observed evolution suggest such a thing.

It was the result of Evolution that I experienced consciousness in a world where consciousness is a byproduct of the arrangement of matter, HOWEVER I was still nothing more than matter...
I now see, I believed I was nothing more than a Robot.

Your third mistake. So what happened was, you learned a series rather odd misconceptions about evolution, and it led you to some bad conclusions.

If Evolution happened to be fact, what would I Do?

Directly observed.

Well, I would wonder why my life drastically changed after I started a relationship with God.

What, in evolutionary theory, says your life wouldn't change drastically after you found Him and followed Him?

I would wonder why my prayers have been answered and why I live a life of experiences, only to die making my existence as pointless as everything that has been forgotten.

This shows an important point. Most people who think they hate evolution, don't really know what it is.

Upvote 0

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟12,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since evolution is directly observed, it could only be false if God is deceptive.
I'm talking about the concept of a Godless Evolution. The notion of a fish coming out of water, reptiles forming, dinosaurs and mammals coming about then a mammal going back into the ocean to form species like the Dolphins and Whales. I don't think that can be observed if it takes place over hundreds of millions of years.

I don't see God as being deceptive.
The best lies have a little truth in them. I agree with aspects and dissagree with others namely, I agree with Natural Selection but dissagree with Random Mutations having a significant role in the result of complex organs.

Evolution just happens to be more efficient than design for complicated problems. Why wouldn't He use it?

I think there is a confusion between Evolution and Adaptation.

Upvote 0

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟12,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was your first error.
That was your second mistake.
Your third mistake.
....and it led you to some bad conclusions.
This shows an important point.
....don't really know what it is.

Well, not sure I'm going to be very convincing from that point of view.

Upvote 0