What's up with the Mormons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyjoe

Feb 2, 2005
✟222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am a Christian who has attended many different denominations, though my attendance at church is somewhat sporadic. I have never been to the Mormon Church, and know nearly nothing of what they teach, but I have met some Mormons who appear to be really nice people.

I have read through some of the threads here, and would like to know what it is about Mormons that irritates you all so much. I have seen a glimpse of some of their doctrines, but would like to know more about them and what makes them so worthy of attack.

Please help me understand.

Joe

christopher123

Veteran
Apr 2, 2004
✟9,052.00
Faith
Christian
stinkyjoe said:
I have read through some of the threads here, and would like to know what it is about Mormons that irritates you all so much. I have seen a glimpse of some of their doctrines, but would like to know more about them and what makes them so worthy of attack.

Please help me understand.

Joe

My reasons are good......

DocT ran over my dog,
Mormonfriend yelled at my kids,
fatboys has bad breath, and
Swart has a flatulance problem.

Chris <><

Well, that and maybe many of us completely disagree with their church's doctrine, teachings, history and "trueness", especially how it has and continues to permeate our lives.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
christopher123 said:

DocT ran over my dog,

Chris <><

Well, that and maybe many of us completely disagree with their church's doctrine, teachings, history and "trueness", especially how it has and continues to permeate our lives.
How does it continue to permeate your life? Because you let it?

Upvote 0

stinkyjoe

Feb 2, 2005
✟222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
christopher123 said:

DocT ran over my dog,

Chris <><

And what is it in Mormon Teachings that is so wrong, exactly?

Upvote 0

christopher123

Veteran
Apr 2, 2004
✟9,052.00
Faith
Christian
Jenda said:
How does it continue to permeate your life? Because you let it?

How am I to not let it, when the church consumes my family's life. In-laws, siblings, etc all must be coordinated with church activities and even temple life. Family discussions inevidabley turn to "well so-and-so is getting blessed, or so-and so is being sealed."

Are you suggesting that I cut off contact with my family? The church is their life (some completely and totally), so to remain a part of them, I allow it to permeate mine.

Chris <><

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
christopher123 said:
How am I to not let it, when the church consumes my family's life. In-laws, siblings, etc all must be coordinated with church activities and even temple life. Family discussions inevidabley turn to "well so-and-so is getting blessed, or so-and so is being sealed."

Are you suggesting that I cut off contact with my family? The church is their life (some completely and totally), so to remain a part of them, I allow it to permeate mine.

Chris <><
How is that different for you than for anyone else? I have family members that left my church and attend other churches and hear them say these same things. I don't hate them, or the church they attend because of it, though. I feel extremely sad for them, but that is their choice.

If you let it bother you to that degree, you need to let go of some things.

Upvote 0

christopher123

Veteran
Apr 2, 2004
✟9,052.00
Faith
Christian
stinkyjoe said:
And what is it in Mormon Teachings that is so wrong, exactly?

The LDS church is not God's only "true" church, Joseph Smith did not find plates bearing records of peoples on this continent, the LDS church does not uniquely hold God's authoritative priesthood, the book of abraham is nothing more than common egyptian funeral scrolls, Smith was a megolamaniac sex fiend whom married other men's wives, the temple ordinances were copied from masonic rituals, black people are not lesser human beings, and the doctrinal obsession with power and authority is kind of creepy.

Try google, read both sides, and sort it out for your own understanding. You won't meet a better, cleaner group of people for the most part, but that doesn't make them right.

Chris <><

Upvote 0

dhiannian

Jan 10, 2005
✟447.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[edited by moderator]
Joseph Smith the founder of Mormonism (and the branches that have tried to seperate themselves from it, LDS etc) was looking for buried treasure when he supposedly found the "golden plates" he claimed they were a new revelation from God, (also claimed an angel appeared beside his bed telling him he was the Lord's annointed prophet for this dispensation) He claimed the plates were in "reformed Egyptian" no such language exists. Oliver Cowdery [edited by Moderator] was the man Joseph chose to be the scribe for his "new revelation" Joseph alone saw the "golden plates" even the scribe did not see them, Joseph "translated" the non-existant language, oddly 25,000 words of the book of mormon were directly taken from the KJV, some verbatim quotations of considerable length. Martin Harris claimed to have seen the "golden plates" but in a conversation with Professor Anthon denied that he had actually seen them, and when pressed he stated he only saw them with "the eyes of faith.

[edited by Moderator]

mormanism, along with most of the other religions out there, teach you have to work your way to heaven, tithing unfortunatly is one thing joe got right, and that seems to be the main reason behind the hostility to them on these forums, although when joe translated that if you don't tithe you'll go to hell. he showed the main reason behind his "prophecies, money the very thing he was looking for when he found the "golden plates" You won't go to hell if you don't tithe but as a sinner freed from the bondage of sin we want to give God what is his, and whatever else we can to help further the gospel and help the church.(which is his) God did not put a penalty of death on not tithing, that was the act of a greedy human.

If someone were to seek out mormonism to find eternal life, they would undoubtedly become confused on how to achieve this, in; 111Nephi 12:2 and Moroni 8:11 it states that baptism is needed for the remission of sins, but in the doctrine of the covenants chapter 20 vs 37, it states the direct opposite, "all who humble themselves....and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the spirit of Christ unto the remission of sin, shall be received by baptism.." not the only countradiction by far. He even countradicts the perverted revelation he received that you are by law to have more than one wife.

[edited by moderator]
This is the foremost reason behind my distaste for the religion

Upvote 0

christopher123

Veteran
Apr 2, 2004
✟9,052.00
Faith
Christian
Jenda said:
How is that different for you than for anyone else? I have family members that left my church and attend other churches and hear them say these same things. I don't hate them, or the church they attend because of it, though. I feel extremely sad for them, but that is their choice.

I don't hate them, I never said or implied I did. Looking from the outside, I do very much dislike what control they allow the church to have on every matter of their life. Their choice though.

Can you attend family weddings? I'm asked to come, but sit outside. Have you been told by some family matters that it is such a shame that you will not be in heaven with them?

Chris <><

Upvote 0

dhiannian

Jan 10, 2005
✟447.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
christopher123 said:

Chris <><

It's easier said than done, but you need to help them see the truth, don't go along with it, show them by actions and words if they'll listen.
Help them see that this slavery to a religion is getting them no closer to heavens gates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
christopher123 said:
Can you attend family weddings? I'm asked to come, but sit outside. Have you been told by some family matters that it is such a shame that you will not be in heaven with them?

Chris <><
Yes, I can attend weddings, and yes, I have been told by family members that it is a shame that I won't be in heaven with them. I just chalk it up to the hate they find on anti-RLDS or anti-Joseph Smith sites (as well as preached from some pulpits). They are just sheep and follow the loudest voice, no matter whose it is.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
dhiannian said:
[quote edited by moderator-here]Joseph Smith the founder of Mormonism (and the branches that have tried to seperate themselves from it, LDS etc) was looking for buried treasure when he supposedly found the "golden plates" he claimed they were a new revelation from God, (also claimed an angel appeared beside his bed telling him he was the Lord's annointed prophet for this dispensation) He claimed the plates were in "reformed Egyptian" no such language exists. Oliver Cowdery [quote edited by moderator here]was the man Joseph chose to be the scribe for his "new revelation" Joseph alone saw the "golden plates" even the scribe did not see them, Joseph "translated" the non-existant language, oddly 25,000 words of the book of mormon were directly taken from the KJV, some verbatim quotations of considerable length. Martin Harris claimed to have seen the "golden plates" but in a conversation with Professor Anthon denied that he had actually seen them, and when pressed he stated he only saw them with "the eyes of faith.
[edited by moderator -here] God has never changed, the plan of salvation after Jesus has not changed, throughout the entire bible the message has been the same, saved by FAITH.
mormanism, along with most of the other religions out there, teach you have to work your way to heaven, tithing unfortunatly is one thing joe got right, and that seems to be the main reason behind the hostility to them on these forums, although when joe translated that if you don't tithe you'll go to hell. he showed the main reason behind his "prophecies, money the very thing he was looking for when he found the "golden plates" You won't go to hell if you don't tithe but as a sinner freed from the bondage of sin we want to give God what is his, and whatever else we can to help further the gospel and help the church.(which is his) God did not put a penalty of death on not tithing, that was the act of a greedy human.
If someone were to seek out mormonism to find eternal life, they would undoubtedly become confused on how to achieve this, in; 111Nephi 12:2 and Moroni 8:11 it states that baptism is needed for the remission of sins, but in the doctrine of the covenants chapter 20 vs 37, it states the direct opposite, "all who humble themselves....and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the spirit of Christ unto the remission of sin, shall be received by baptism.." not the only countradiction by far. He even countradicts the perverted revelation he received that you are by law to have more than one wife.
[edited by moderator here]This is the foremost reason behind my distaste for the religion
Boy, if your post had any truth in it, you'd be dangerous.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
dhiannian said:
Since I have proof of everything I posted I am dangerous but only to satan.
The only thing close to a truth you have in that post is a half-truth. Oh, and part of your opening line, "Joseph Smith the founder of Mormonism......."

And might I point out that the Mormons are the LDS.

Upvote 0

dhiannian

Jan 10, 2005
✟447.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jenda said:
The only thing close to a truth you have in that post is a half-truth. Oh, and part of your opening line, "Joseph Smith the founder of Mormonism......."

And might I point out that the Mormons are the LDS.

I'm glad you admitted that the LDS is from teachings of joe smith.
Most mormons are too ashamed to admit he is their "Christ"
Perhapes you are truly blinded, get one of the earlier copies of the book of mormon, if you can. before satan had time to cover joe's human mistakes.
In the book of Mosiah ch21 vs28 it is declared that "King Mosiah had a gift from God" but in the origional edition of the book the kings name was Benjamin,so either God made a mistake when he inspired it, or joseph made one when he translated it. an oversight mormon scribes quickly fixed, In Nephi 19:16-20 when compared with the edition of 1830 it reveals more than 50 changes in the "inspired" book of mormon, words have been dropped, spelling corrected, and words and phraseology added and turned around, what a way to treat an "inspired" revelation from God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
dhiannian said:
I'm glad you admitted that the LDS is from teachings of joe smith.
Most mormons are too ashamed to admit he is their "Christ"
I sure don't recall saying that. I agreed that Joseph Smith was the founder of Mormonism. That would be like Martin Luther is the founder of Lutheranism, in particular, and protestantism, in general.

Perhapes you are truly blinded, get one of the earlier copies of the book of mormon, if you can. before satan had time to cover joe's human mistakes.
In the book of Mosiah ch21 vs28 it is declared that "King Mosiah had a gift from God" but in the origional edition of the book the kings name was Benjamin,so either God made a mistake when he inspired it, or joseph made one when he translated it. an oversight mormon scribes quickly fixed, In Nephi 19:16-20 when compared with the edition of 1830 it reveals more than 50 changes in the "inspired" book of mormon, words have been dropped, spelling corrected, and words and phraseology added and turned around, what a way to treat an "inspired" revelation from God!
Yeah, yeah. I have an edition that is remarkably similar to the original, it is called the Restored Covenant Edition.

Since you know all this, you must know, then, that the printer of the original edition (not the translator or scribe) added all the punctuation and did all the paragraphing. Most of the changes (99%) were done to correct the punctuation and grammar so that the correct theology was brought out.

Upvote 0

dhiannian

Jan 10, 2005
✟447.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not diagreeing with you just to be obstinate.
Study it out with an open mind and see if you feel the same.
I would never ever agree to be ONE of the wives of some guy who will become a god with his own planet.
The truth is there is only one God. And he wasn't Adam, (journal of discourses vol1 page 50) and Adam wasn't Michael the archangel, he was just Adam.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
dhiannian said:
I'm not diagreeing with you just to be obstinate.
Study it out with an open mind and see if you feel the same.
I would never ever agree to be ONE of the wives of some guy who will become a god with his own planet.
The truth is there is only one God. And he wasn't Adam, (journal of discourses vol1 page 50) and Adam wasn't Michael the archangel, he was just Adam.
Well, neither do I. That is why I am not Mormon. :)

Upvote 0

dhiannian

Jan 10, 2005
✟447.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jenda said:
I sure don't recall saying that. I agreed that Joseph Smith was the founder of Mormonism. That would be like Martin Luther is the founder of Lutheranism, in particular, and protestantism, in general.

Yeah, yeah. I have an edition that is remarkably similar to the original, it is called the Restored Covenant Edition.

Since you know all this, you must know, then, that the printer of the original edition (not the translator or scribe) added all the punctuation and did all the paragraphing. Most of the changes (99%) were done to correct the punctuation and grammar so that the correct theology was brought out.
Changing punctuation and grammar brings out the correct theology?
so what is correct? Tell me? :sleep:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.