What's The Point?

Nov 26, 2010
✟7,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi guys,

Around December of last year I finally decided that I would read through the entire Bible. I base all of my faith around what is written in the Book, but I didn't even know what it said. Now that I'm done...

It feels great! There was so much to learn, so much to think about. I feel closer to God, and I want to keep learning and growing. However...

I remember reading through the book of Ezra, and it was tough. I read in Ezra 1:9 that inventory was being taken by Mithredath, and he counted 30 gold dishes, 1,000 silver dishes, and 29 silver pans.

But it's not just Ezra. It's in Judges, Leviticus, Obadiah, etc. It's everywhere, particularly in the Old Testament.

Now I happen to believe that the Bible is the Holy Book, divinely inspired by God. But I have a hard time grappling with what is written. In particular, I find myself asking: What's the point?

116-FOTU

May 19, 2011
✟7,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

Around December of last year I finally decided that I would read through the entire Bible. I base all of my faith around what is written in the Book, but I didn't even know what it said. Now that I'm done...

It feels great! There was so much to learn, so much to think about. I feel closer to God, and I want to keep learning and growing. However...

I remember reading through the book of Ezra, and it was tough. I read in Ezra 1:9 that inventory was being taken by Mithredath, and he counted 30 gold dishes, 1,000 silver dishes, and 29 silver pans.

But it's not just Ezra. It's in Judges, Leviticus, Obadiah, etc. It's everywhere, particularly in the Old Testament.

Now I happen to believe that the Bible is the Holy Book, divinely inspired by God. But I have a hard time grappling with what is written. In particular, I find myself asking: What's the point?

I dont understand what you're asking. whats the point of what?

Upvote 0

57Logos

May 21, 2011
✟7,677.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

The Bible will keep us from sin.
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Psalms 119:11

The Bible gives us learning that leads to patience and comfort giving us hope.
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
Romans 15:4

The Bible will also help to grow.
As newborn babes,desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.
I Peter 2:2

These are just a few of many reasons to study God's Word.
For the Bible is God's love letter written to us, His adopted children. Galatians 3:22-4:7

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,504.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just read the Bible, trusting God that what He said His word would not return unto Him void. They may not have a point to you, but by faith, know that the scriptures mean something to God. We walk by faith. That means that we trust God, whether we understand completely or not. Trust that if you faithfully read the scriptures that God will increase your wisdom, and understanding.God is faithful. He will accomplish what He says.

Upvote 0

KrimsonDraegon

Jan 17, 2005
Earth
✟9,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Peace upon you,

If I understand your question... you are asking why there are so many numerous calculations and tabulations laid out primarily in the Old Testament?

The Old Testament, known as the TaNaKH (Torah (The Law), Nevi'im (Prophets), and Ketuvim (Writings)) in Judaism and in Hebrew exists as a record of the Jews history and ancestry. Originally there were many, many more books. All of these books existed as records and lists of things individuals or groups saw, heard, etc. Anytime the Almighty One, blessed be He, gave a commandment the Jews would strive to record it perfectly. Anytime the Jews came across material gains they further attempted to tabulate the quantities and qualities in order to maintain their assests and blessings.

During Anshei Knesset HaGedolah, the Assembly of Great Men, the prophets, turning into Rabbis, gathered before them the many books that would become the Tanakh (what you know now as the Old Testament) and they debated over which to include and which to exclude. Some were simply long lists of material wealth and were excluded, while some were direct commandments from the Almighty and were included by default. Some were deemed inappropriate to include in the Tanakh and were compiled later into the Talmud(s), or other Midrashim.

I hope this helped!!

~ Shaeykh

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi guys,

In Ezra 1:7-11, King Cyrus gave the Jews something to take back to Jerusalem for God’s temple. He gave back the special objects that Nebuchadnezzar had taken from the temple in Jerusalem many years before (Daniel 1:2).

In verses 9 and 10 in particular, the objects sent back are named and counted. In verse 11, there were in total 5400 gold and silver objects. Sheshbazzar brought all these objects when the people left exile in Babylonia to go to Jerusalem.

In Judges, you have the Israelites turning their backs on God to worship pagan gods 31 times. Each time God removed his protection from them, and they were overtaken by Canaanites and the like. Each time also God rescued them when they repented and called out to him.

In Leviticus, God again removes his protection due to the evil doings of the sons of the priest Eli after Eli had been warned. The Philistines steal the ark of the covenenant from the Israelites but later bring it back.

In Obadiah, God gives Obadiah a message for the Israelites that He will avenge them because of the evil done to them when the Babylonians and Edomites destroyed Jerusalem. God's message also warns the people from Edom because they had helped the Babylonians.

If you have no objections to reading the ESV or NLT translations, they are easier to follow. However; strictly for the OT accounts, I recommend The Message. It is not a translation but a paraphrase, yet reads like a good novel.

Upvote 0