Visit site
✟1,352,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just because Jesus set us free from bondage to sin does not mean we will never be tempted to sin again. We will! Even Jesus was tempted of Satan, yet he never gave in to any temptation. He was without sin. But, not us.

So, what do we do when we are tempted? Better yet, what do we do to avoid temptation? What spiritual disciplines do we have in place to keep us from yielding to temptation? These are very important questions.

We can’t just wait until we are tempted and then hope we don’t give in. We must be proactive in our approach to sin and to temptation to sin. If we don’t make and implement a plan to succeed, we plan to fail.

The Lord Jesus led me to read Ephesians 6:10-20 (ESV).

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” Vv. 10-12

When I was a child, I had a father who was an abuser. If I sensed a hit was coming from him, I would cross my arms in front of my face, hoping to not get hit, but that did not stop the hits from coming.

Well, the problem with that is that I learned to take that same approach to temptation to sin. I didn’t have a plan, at times, in my younger years, and so when the temptation came, I tried to fight off Satan’s attacks like I tried to fight off my father’s. Sometimes it worked, because I coupled it with prayer, but sometimes it didn’t work, because I caved to the pressure, and because I truly believed that Satan still had power over me.

One of the things I had to learn in life is to truly grasp the truth that Jesus Christ set us free from slavery to sin. Satan no longer has power over us! Jesus delivered us from the power of Satan! And, he has given us everything we need to resist Satan, to flee temptation, and to walk in the Spirit, in godliness and holiness, and no longer according to the flesh. We just have to believe it, live like we believe it, and put what he has given us into practice.

And, that is what this passage of scripture is talking about. If we want to be able to stand strong against the devil’s schemes, and not cave to pressure, then we have to apply these truths to our lives, proactively, every day.

“Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” vv. 13-17

When I was much younger, I just didn’t get this. I thought it was just words I said in a prayer, like “I take on your armor,” or something like that. If someone did explain this to me, it must have gone over my head.

So, how do we do this? What does it mean to put these pieces of armor on? Obviously they are not physical pieces of physical armor, but they are spiritual. So, how does one fasten on the belt of truth or take up the shield of faith or the sword of the Spirit?

I believe it means we apply these things to our lives. We put them into practice, not just defensively, when we are being attacked by Satan, but offensively, ahead of time, we have these things in place and ready and prepared for when those attacks or those temptations do roar their ugly heads. We don’t just wait around, guards down, and let the enemy get us by a surprise attack, especially if this is not the first time this has happened.

For example, we have to be truth tellers. If we are in the habit of telling lies, and we are tempted to lie, we are more likely to give in to temptation than would someone who makes a practice of telling the truth. We have to be people of faith, too, believing what God says is true, and obeying what his Word teaches us. If we don’t put the Word of God into practice, it will not be there when we need it to warn, to encourage, to counsel and to help us, so it would be easier to just give in, then, rather than to fight.

We also have to recognize our areas of weakness, our areas where we have given in before, and we have to guard our hearts and minds in those areas. For example, if you keep giving in to the temptation to lust, or to view inappropriate contentography, then you examine your triggers, and you purposefully remove from your life what you know is going to lead you into sin. Again, stupid is what stupid does. If you keep getting burned on a hot stove, smart would not keep putting its hand on a hot stove. Get my drift? We can be really dense sometimes when we keep repeating the same mistakes.

Smart is putting into practice what we know, not ignoring it.

“…praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.” Vv. 18-20

Prayer is critical to all of this. We need to be praying for ourselves and for our fellow believers in Christ in the area of temptation to sin, that they might resist Satan and flee temptation, and be strong in the Lord. We must also pray for them in the area of Christian persecution. Satan and his hordes will come against us because we are standing strong in Christ, we are resisting Satan, and we are putting on the armor of God daily. Satan doesn’t like it when we obey God and we resist him, so he will do everything he can either to get us back or to bring us down in another way, and in order to shut us up. He doesn’t like it, too, if we are helping others to be free.

Yet, we must stand strong in the Lord and in his power, and we must put into practice our faith, love, perseverance, truth, righteousness, and the Word of God, so we can resist Satan and live godly and holy lives, pleasing to God. We must not fear what humans may think of us, say about us, or do to us, but we must keep on keeping on in our faith and in our testimonies for the sake of the gospel, which is where we give people the hope that they, too, can be free in Christ from the power of Satan and sin.

He Touched My Mouth
An Original Work / June 13, 2012

Based off Isaiah 6:1-8; Jeremiah 1:4-9

Oh, I saw the Lord seated on His throne,
High and lifted up; Holy is the Lord!
The earth is full of His glory.
“Woe to me,” I cried,
“I’m of unclean lips.”

My Lord touched my mouth
With His cleansing pow’r;
Removed all my guilt, paid for by His blood.
He asked, “Whom shall I send;
Who will go for us?”
I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Before I was born, God set me apart;
He appointed me to His servant be.
I said, “I don’t know how to speak.
I am but a child.” Then, the Lord replied:

“Do not say to me, ‘I am but a child.’
You must go to all, and do what I say.
Do not fear them, for I’m with you.”
My Lord touched my mouth;
Gave me words to say.

Sunday, December 17, 2017, 3:32 p.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for this teaching from your Word. May we all put your Word into practice. Amen!

• Winner
Reactions: brinny

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Just because Jesus set us free from bondage to sin does not mean we will never be tempted to sin again. We will! Even Jesus was tempted of Satan, yet he never gave in to any temptation. He was without sin. But, not us.
You ask this question, which makes me ask you one.

How are we set free from the bondage of sin, is there anything we must do, besides Believing?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

So, what do we do when we are tempted? Better yet, what do we do to avoid temptation? What spiritual disciplines do we have in place to keep us from yielding to temptation? These are very important questions.

We can’t just wait until we are tempted and then hope we don’t give in. We must be proactive in our approach to sin and to temptation to sin. If we don’t make and implement a plan to succeed, we plan to fail.

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” Vv. 10-12

When I was a child, I had a father who was an abuser. If I sensed a hit was coming from him, I would cross my arms in front of my face, hoping to not get hit, but that did not stop the hits from coming.

Well, the problem with that is that I learned to take that same approach to temptation to sin. I didn’t have a plan, at times, in my younger years, and so when the temptation came, I tried to fight off Satan’s attacks like I tried to fight off my father’s. Sometimes it worked, because I coupled it with prayer, but sometimes it didn’t work, because I caved to the pressure, and because I truly believed that Satan still had power over me.

One of the things I had to learn in life is to truly grasp the truth that Jesus Christ set us free from slavery to sin. Satan no longer has power over us! Jesus delivered us from the power of Satan! And, he has given us everything we need to resist Satan, to flee temptation, and to walk in the Spirit, in godliness and holiness, and no longer according to the flesh. We just have to believe it, live like we believe it, and put what he has given us into practice.

And, that is what this passage of scripture is talking about. If we want to be able to stand strong against the devil’s schemes, and not cave to pressure, then we have to apply these truths to our lives, proactively, every day.

“Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” vv. 13-17

When I was much younger, I just didn’t get this. I thought it was just words I said in a prayer, like “I take on your armor,” or something like that. If someone did explain this to me, it must have gone over my head.

So, how do we do this? What does it mean to put these pieces of armor on? Obviously they are not physical pieces of physical armor, but they are spiritual. So, how does one fasten on the belt of truth or take up the shield of faith or the sword of the Spirit?

I believe it means we apply these things to our lives. We put them into practice, not just defensively, when we are being attacked by Satan, but offensively, ahead of time, we have these things in place and ready and prepared for when those attacks or those temptations do roar their ugly heads. We don’t just wait around, guards down, and let the enemy get us by a surprise attack, especially if this is not the first time this has happened.

For example, we have to be truth tellers. If we are in the habit of telling lies, and we are tempted to lie, we are more likely to give in to temptation than would someone who makes a practice of telling the truth. We have to be people of faith, too, believing what God says is true, and obeying what his Word teaches us. If we don’t put the Word of God into practice, it will not be there when we need it to warn, to encourage, to counsel and to help us, so it would be easier to just give in, then, rather than to fight.

We also have to recognize our areas of weakness, our areas where we have given in before, and we have to guard our hearts and minds in those areas. For example, if you keep giving in to the temptation to lust, or to view inappropriate contentography, then you examine your triggers, and you purposefully remove from your life what you know is going to lead you into sin. Again, stupid is what stupid does. If you keep getting burned on a hot stove, smart would not keep putting its hand on a hot stove. Get my drift? We can be really dense sometimes when we keep repeating the same mistakes.

“…praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.” Vv. 18-20

Prayer is critical to all of this. We need to be praying for ourselves and for our fellow believers in Christ in the area of temptation to sin, that they might resist Satan and flee temptation, and be strong in the Lord. We must also pray for them in the area of Christian persecution. Satan and his hordes will come against us because we are standing strong in Christ, we are resisting Satan, and we are putting on the armor of God daily. Satan doesn’t like it when we obey God and we resist him, so he will do everything he can either to get us back or to bring us down in another way, and in order to shut us up. He doesn’t like it, too, if we are helping others to be free.

Yet, we must stand strong in the Lord and in his power, and we must put into practice our faith, love, perseverance, truth, righteousness, and the Word of God, so we can resist Satan and live godly and holy lives, pleasing to God. We must not fear what humans may think of us, say about us, or do to us, but we must keep on keeping on in our faith and in our testimonies for the sake of the gospel, which is where we give people the hope that they, too, can be free in Christ from the power of Satan and sin.

He Touched My Mouth

“Woe to me,” I cried,
“I’m of unclean lips.”

My Lord touched my mouth
Who will go for us?”

Gave me words to say.

Sunday, December 17, 2017, 3:32 p.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for this teaching from your Word. May we all put your Word into practice. Amen!

Amen Sue. Thank you for sharing your profound testimonies, tied in with what God puts on your heart from His Word.

"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." ~James 4:7

Looks to me that when we "submit" ourselves to God, this literally "terrifies" the devil, thus his "fleeing". THAT is what causes him to flee.

Powerful.

It ties right into "fearing God". Cuz when we "fear God" we fear NOTHING else.

Amen.

Powerful and profound post today Sue.

God bless you.

iu

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen Sue. Thank you for sharing your profound testimonies, tied in with what God puts on your heart from His Word.

"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." ~James 4:7

Looks to me that when we "submit" ourselves to God, this literally "terrifies" the devil, thus his "fleeing". THAT is what causes him to flee.

Powerful.

It ties right into "fearing God". Cuz when we "fear God" we fear NOTHING else.

Amen.

Powerful and profound post today Sue.

God bless you.

iu

Brinny, Thank you so much for sharing those encouraging words with me today. Amen to what you said! There is so much wisdom here in what you shared, too. All glory to God for what he has done in me and through me for his glory, and for how he is using you, as well.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How are we set free from the bondage of sin, is there anything we must do, besides Believing?

This cannot be answered quickly, so let me get back with you later on this. Thanks for asking!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Brinny, Thank you so much for sharing those encouraging words with me today. Amen to what you said! There is so much wisdom here in what you shared, too. All glory to God for what he has done in me and through me for his glory, and for how he is using you, as well.

Keep shining sister. May God show you a great great harvest from all the seeds of testimony and His wisdom that you faithfully planted. And what comes to mind for me also, is that verse in Proverbs 31, where her family rises and gives her, in essence, a standing ovation. Hahahaa! Isn't that wunnerful? He is a GOOD God.

God bless you Sue.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep shining sister. May God show you a great great harvest from all the seeds of testimony and His wisdom that you faithfully planted. And what comes to mind for me also, is that verse in Proverbs 31, where her family rises and gives her, in essence, a standing ovation. Hahahaa! Isn't that wunnerful? He is a GOOD God.

God bless you Sue.

Thank you, and God bless you, too, for being such an encourager. :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

He Touched My Mouth

“Woe to me,” I cried,
“I’m of unclean lips.”

My Lord touched my mouth
Who will go for us?”

Gave me words to say.

Beautiful post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When we believe in Jesus Christ, if it is true faith, of the Spirit of God, we are crucified with Christ in death to sin, and we are resurrected with Christ to newness of life, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. This is the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives as we yield to God's work of grace, and as we submit our lives to Christ and to his will for our lives. This is faith. This is being born again. The Spirit of God transforms us, and he turns us from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that we might receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in Jesus Christ. He changes our hearts so that we no longer want to walk in the ways of the flesh but we want to live for God and to walk in the Ways of the Spirit. We have been freed from our slavery (bondage, addiction) to sin by God's grace.

So, this is the first thing which must happen. Then, by the Spirit, we daily put to death the deeds of the flesh, and we daily obey our Lord and His Word and we do what it says. We put off the flesh, and we put on Christ, in the power and working of God's Spirit now living within us. We put on the armor of God with which to fight off Satan's schemes against us, we resist Satan, we flee temptation, we cut out of our lives every hindrance to our freedom, and everything which leads us into sin, so that we can walk in the Spirit and no longer live to gratify our sinful desires. Our Lord will empower and strengthen and guide us in what we are to do, and we just have to obey him. When we don't obey, we cut that process short, and then we are ripe to be trapped in sin again.

• Winner
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Better yet, what do we do to avoid temptation?
It is likely, if not necessary, that 'temptations' will continue every day until we pass away.
That never means that we have to sin each time, nor even most times, if any times. (though few ever find this out - especially if they just give up at the start of the race of faith, and figure they don't have to stop sinning, so they just go ahead and sin continually! (wrong to do) )

Many Instructions of YHWH are throughout all Scripture,
especially continual prayer , as noted already I think,
and "abiding" - through hard times and easy times STAY CLOSE to JESUS,
never give up, never give in willingly, because YHWH'S WORD says HE HIMSELF ALWAYS provides a way of escape from sin or temptation. (even if we lose everything we own or have (family/ friends/ church/ job/ future) , even unto death, YHWH is Faithful and True) ....

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is likely, if not necessary, that 'temptations' will continue every day until we pass away.
That never means that we have to sin each time, nor even most times, if any times. (though few ever find this out - especially if they just give up at the start of the race of faith, and figure they don't have to stop sinning, so they just go ahead and sin continually! (wrong to do) )

Many Instructions of YHWH are throughout all Scripture,
especially continual prayer , as noted already I think,
and "abiding" - through hard times and easy times STAY CLOSE to JESUS,
never give up, never give in willingly, because YHWH'S WORD says HE HIMSELF ALWAYS provides a way of escape from sin or temptation. (even if we lose everything we own or have (family/ friends/ church/ job/ future) , even unto death, YHWH is Faithful and True) ....

Amen! Thank you so much for sharing those encouraging words.

Upvote 0