What's the criteria for having a Mass outside?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My parish is celebrating our parish patron on the feast of Saint John the Baptist coming up on 6/25, the announcement says there will be a Mass and picnic at one of the local parks and it'll be the only Mass of the day—none at either of the parishes (or main parish or the mission parish nearby). I was just curious what exactly needs to happen, if anything, for a priest to celebrate Holy Mass outside?

There will inevitably be a lot of people since they're essentially combining five Masses by not offering any of the usual scheduled Masses.

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I found this on Newadvent

A portable altar consists of a solid piece of natural stone which must be sufficiently hard to resist every fracture. It must be consecrated by bishop or other person having faculties to do so.

In the Catholic Greek rites, they use (as do Eastern Orthodox) a cloth called the antimensium, which is a cloth signed by the bishop that a priest uses even in the church. As long as the priest has this, he can perform the Liturgy (or Mass).

1686135212033.png

This article also might be of interest:

• Agree
Reactions: Erose
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was in the Marines, we frequently had Mass outside in the open, when we were out in the field and not in the barracks. The Chaplin, had a portable altar, with all the cloths and utensils which were used inside a Church, just only smaller in size. It all went into a relatively small suitcase.

Reactions: JimR-OCDS
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I found this on Newadvent

A portable altar consists of a solid piece of natural stone which must be sufficiently hard to resist every fracture. It must be consecrated by bishop or other person having faculties to do so.

In the Catholic Greek rites, they use (as do Eastern Orthodox) a cloth called the antimensium, which is a cloth signed by the bishop that a priest uses even in the church. As long as the priest has this, he can perform the Liturgy (or Mass).

View attachment 332100

This article also might be of interest:

That was from the Catholic Encyclopedia of 1917.

I've attended Masses outside including on the beach of a neighbors camp. The celebrant, Father Brassard, spent
23 years in the Soviet Gulag.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I was in the Marines, we frequently had Mass outside in the open, when we were out in the field and not in the barracks. The Chaplin, had a portable altar, with all the cloths and utensils which were used inside a Church, just only smaller in size. It all went into a relatively small suitcase.
I also attended Mass outside when I was in the Marines, 1970.

Semper Fi

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That was from the Catholic Encyclopedia of 1917.

I've attended Masses outside including on the beach of a neighbors camp. The celebrant, Father Brassard, spent
23 years in the Soviet Gulag.
Morning,
Is that outdated information?
Thanks,
PsaltiChrysostom

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I've attended Masses outside for a parish picnic many, many years ago. My main concern is the Eucharist being dropped or desecrated. I'm not sure what the conditions are required to properly have Mass outside, though.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've attended Masses outside for a parish picnic many, many years ago. My main concern is the Eucharist being dropped or desecrated. I'm not sure what the conditions are required to properly have Mass outside, though.
If God the Father has the power to transform the bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus, I'm sure
he also has the power to undo it should the host be dropped or taken for abusive purposes.

We do our best to protect the Eucharist but don't get into all sorts of unnatural gymnastics in the process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If God the Father has the power to transform the bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus, I'm sure
he also has the power to undo it should the host be dropped or taken for abusive purposes.

We do our best to protect the Eucharist but don't get into all sorts of unnatural gymnastics in the process.
Absolutely!

Upvote 0