über.n00b
Feb 8, 2005
Tennessee
✟9,722.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Similar to the "what are you currently reading" thread, except instead of what you're reading now, post what you want to read in the future.

If anyone is like me, you have waaay too many books on your list...so I'll post just a couple at a time throughout the thread if it goes well. If you want to give a summary of the books or share why you want to read em, feel free.

I'll start.

Pursuit of Holiness - Jerry Bridges
The Shack - William P. Young

odeminkwe

Veteran
Nov 24, 2007
United States
✟17,343.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I am about a third of the way through Einstein by Walter Isaacson.
On the short list:
The Universe in a single Atom- The Dalai Lama
A World Without Time- Palle Yourgrau
Three Cups of Tea- Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
Traveling Mercies- Annie Lamott
Endless Forms Most Beautiful- Sean B. Carrol

I need to learn to stay out of the bookstore.;)

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just finished some brain candy...1632 by Eric Flint and Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison.

I brought these home from the library on Friday....

If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd be Republicans, Ann Coulter (OK...this one is still along the lines of brain candy...but it sure is a fun read!! I finished it today.)

Crunchy Cons: The New Conservative Counterculture and Its Return to Roots, by Rod Dreher (Turns out I might be a Crunchy Con! I'm on p. 169, and so far the only disagreement I have with him is over global warming. Dreher's been suckered on that one!)

Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution, by Michael J. Behe (A non-Christian scientist's difficulties with evolution. I'm actually re-reading this one...it has a new afterword rebutting criticisms of Behe's theory)

Functional Chordate Anatomy by Ronald G. Wolff (This one is to examine some claims that Behe makes)

The Assault on Reason, by Al Gore (One needs to stay informed on the Other Side.)

A Personal Odyssey, by Thomas Sowell (Personal reflection from a black conservative. I got more interesting in reading more from Sowell and Walter Williams after reading Clarence Thomas' autobiography a few months ago)

Classical Economics Reconsidered, by Thomas Sowell (see the above comment)

Collected Legal Papers by Oliver Wendell Holmes (I got interested in learning more about OWH after reading Liberal Fascism...which does not cast OWH in a good light)

John Marshall: Major Opinions and Other Writings, edited by John P. Roche (just curious about writings by the first Chief Justice)

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just finished some brain candy...1632 by Eric Flint and Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison.

I brought these home from the library on Friday....

If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd be Republicans, Ann Coulter (OK...this one is still along the lines of brain candy...but it sure is a fun read!! I finished it today.)

Crunchy Cons: The New Conservative Counterculture and Its Return to Roots, by Rod Dreher (Turns out I might be a Crunchy Con! I'm on p. 169, and so far the only disagreement I have with him is over global warming. Dreher's been suckered on that one!)

Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution, by Michael J. Behe (A non-Christian scientist's difficulties with evolution. I'm actually re-reading this one...it has a new afterword rebutting criticisms of Behe's theory)

Functional Chordate Anatomy by Ronald G. Wolff (This one is to examine some claims that Behe makes)

The Assault on Reason, by Al Gore (One needs to stay informed on the Other Side.)

A Personal Odyssey, by Thomas Sowell (Personal reflection from a black conservative. I got interested in reading more from Sowell and Walter Williams after reading Clarence Thomas' autobiography a few months ago)

Classical Economics Reconsidered, by Thomas Sowell (see the above comment)

Collected Legal Papers by Oliver Wendell Holmes (I got interested in learning more about OWH after reading Liberal Fascism...which does not cast OWH in a good light)

John Marshall: Major Opinions and Other Writings, edited by John P. Roche (just curious about writings by the first Chief Justice)

Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
After reading A New Kind of Christian and A Generous Orthodoxy, I want to read everything by Brian McLaren. I will start The Story We Find Ourselves In tonight.

The Runes of the Earth and Fatal Revenant by Stephen R. Donaldson

The Ancestor's Tale and The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

Stay Mad for Life by Jim Cramer

I've also got the Hitchhiker series and some Edith Wharton on my TBR tower.

Reactions: odeminkwe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Immediate:
Cancer Ward - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Some short stories by Willa Cather
The Quiet American - Graham Greene
Whatever page I open to in Brothers Karamazov before bed

Long term:
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
The Extended Phenotype by Richard Dawkins
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin
Reread The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis (in their published order, not chronologica.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I want to read some of Arthur Pink's works.
*shudders silently*

I'm reading my way through a whole bunch of colonial/post- colonial novels:

Robinson Cruesoe, Foe, Things Fall Apart, Disgrace, Kim, The Road to India, A Fringe of Leaves, Oscar and Lucinda, Heart of Darkness, Wide Sargasso Sea and so on and so forth.

It's interesting stuff, mostly.

Upvote 0

jenptcfan

My cup runneth over
Jun 15, 2002
✟14,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At last count, I had 84 books on my TBR shelf, so I won't list them all.

Some of the ones higher on my list are Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde, a couple of Barbara Kingsolver books (High Tide in Tuscon and Small Wonder), an Elizabeth Berg--I think it's The Art of Mending, but I'm not sure what it's called. And maybe a Donald Miller - Through Painted Deserts. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Special_J

Senior Veteran
Apr 5, 2005
England
✟12,067.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christian ones that need to be read:
"The Case for a Creator" - Lee Strobel
"Preachers and Preaching" - Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones
"No Well Worn Paths" - Terry Virgo
"The End Times" - John Hosier
"The Cross of Christ" - John Stott

Secular books that need reading:
"The Afghan Campaign" - Stephen Pressfield
"The World Without Us" - Alan Weisman
"A Spot of Bother" - Mark Haddon
"The Interpretation of Murder" - Can't Remember
"Troy: Shield of Thunder" - David Gemmell
"Troy: The Fall of Kings" - David & Stella Gemmell

Reactions: Valentine
Upvote 0