Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have not figured out what my spiritual gift is. How does one do this?

Get stuck into serving Jesus in your church and community and you will find it.

S

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Check list... These extraordinary spiritual gifts, often termed "charismatic gifts", are the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, increased faith, the gifts of healing, the gift of miracles, prophecy, the discernment of spirits, diverse kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues. But I believe there are many more gifts not mentioned in this "charismatic gift" list. Gift of understanding, caring, sensing needs, encouraging, helping, patience, tolerance, long suffering, kindness, slow to anger, witnessing, speaking the truth, giving love, leadership, having mercy, and working. In fact, every facet of our being is a gift. We, who are spiritually connected to God, use our gifts for His glory. Often the simple things in life, done in connection with God, become extraordinary.

I was reading scripture and was inspired by what I read. I asked the Lord, "who can I tell?" Just then someone knocked on my door. I opened it to an encyclopedia salesman. [this gives away how long ago this was]

With a quick "thank you", his spiel became my opportunity to reveal what God had shown me. While I was talking to him about it, the Holy Spirit took over and explained things that even I marveled at. As the words were being poured over him, he began to glow like Moses on Mount Sinai. I was beside myself in awe. I was amazed by what I was seeing, hearing and it wasn't me doing the telling. It was God. So what was an ordinary event turned into and extraordinary life changing experience.

Upvote 0

hope faith love

****LOVE****
Dec 29, 2019
SYLACAUGA
✟15,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
when God actvates your gifts they will come natural to you because its not you doing your gift but the Holy spirit flowing thru you as a vessel.... theres no need to worry about what gifts you have but the bible says its best to pray for the gift of prophesy .....

Upvote 0

GraceBeliever

Jan 14, 2020
America
✟8,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have gone to church and been a part of various ministries, as a matter of fact, and am 59 years old and have participated in finding your gift or gifts classes. I have been a part of the Church since I was 8 years old and still have no idea what my spiritual gift is. I thought at one time it was the gift of teaching, so I tried teaching children, and it was awful. I didn't and don't believe God would gift me with something where I was miserable doing it. I then tried teaching a class full of young adults my age at the time. After 3 years of this, it hadn't gotten any easier or less stressful, so I stopped that. I have been on church boards as a trustee and couldn't wait to bow out of that after 3 years, because of the bickering among board members. My last attempt of finding a gift within the church was to be an usher/greeter and it didn't fulfill any empty space in my nitch. I dropped that after 2 years because I think that it would be something that I am naturally good at, or if it's from God, it's going to be fun or edifying, but not to my assessment yet.

I am not what you would call troubled over this, as I don't lay awake at night thinking about it, but all the "courses" I've been a part of tell me that I don't have a gift. The people I have talked to say that others can tell you what your gift is. You should've seen the individuals squirming and deflecting when I asked them to opinionate on what they thought my gift is. That isn't a good place to put someone in, so I stopped asking people I went to church with, and I'm asking you all total strangers to answer for me how to tell what my gift is after 51 years of being in the Church. I do thank those of you who responded, but at this specific time, all of the suggestions have been tried numerous times over the years, and I'm thinking if God was going to reveal it to me, it should've happened by now.

Again, I am not heavily bothered by this, it's just a question I have asked God about for decades. It' isn't going to cause me to wander off the reservation, or derail my commitment to Christ, I'm just new here, and fresh eyes might offer something I haven't thought about. The last thing I will offer on the subject is, I think it is possible that finding your spiritual gift might be romanticised in Christianity. Maybe we've put way too much emphasis on it, and when we do that, it takes away from relying on the Holy Spirit to lead our everyday lives.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You DON'T, and the "Gifts" (1 Cor 12) are NEVER yours, they're temporary empowerments enabling you to do things impossible to you otherwise. If you're not involved in a ministry, then you wouldn't NEED "Spiritual gifts". If you ARE, then they'll "show up" when they're needed.

Upvote 0

GraceBeliever

Jan 14, 2020
America
✟8,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bob Carabbio "old guy" If you don't mind my asking, would you provide the scripture references for this interpretation that all gifts are temporary. I also would like for you to explain to me how a Christian is not involved in a ministry. If it's "professional ministry" that you are talking about, I disagree. EVERY Christian is in "ministry", is he not? Let's say they are. Then EVERY Christian has gifts that come and go, on and off, in and out, only when needed. This would seem rather odd. We would also have to interpret the word "needed". It also makes me scratch my head when you wrote "NEVER". Words mean things to me, and never would assume that the gift never being ours, is like a string holding a carrot in front of a mule. They never get the carrot, but it sure looks tempting. All in all, it was something that provoked thinking within me, so thanks.

Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have gone to church and been a part of various ministries, as a matter of fact, and am 59 years old and have participated in finding your gift or gifts classes. I have been a part of the Church since I was 8 years old and still have no idea what my spiritual gift is. I thought at one time it was the gift of teaching, so I tried teaching children, and it was awful. I didn't and don't believe God would gift me with something where I was miserable doing it. I then tried teaching a class full of young adults my age at the time. After 3 years of this, it hadn't gotten any easier or less stressful, so I stopped that. I have been on church boards as a trustee and couldn't wait to bow out of that after 3 years, because of the bickering among board members. My last attempt of finding a gift within the church was to be an usher/greeter and it didn't fulfill any empty space in my nitch. I dropped that after 2 years because I think that it would be something that I am naturally good at, or if it's from God, it's going to be fun or edifying, but not to my assessment yet.

I am not what you would call troubled over this, as I don't lay awake at night thinking about it, but all the "courses" I've been a part of tell me that I don't have a gift. The people I have talked to say that others can tell you what your gift is. You should've seen the individuals squirming and deflecting when I asked them to opinionate on what they thought my gift is. That isn't a good place to put someone in, so I stopped asking people I went to church with, and I'm asking you all total strangers to answer for me how to tell what my gift is after 51 years of being in the Church. I do thank those of you who responded, but at this specific time, all of the suggestions have been tried numerous times over the years, and I'm thinking if God was going to reveal it to me, it should've happened by now.

Again, I am not heavily bothered by this, it's just a question I have asked God about for decades. It' isn't going to cause me to wander off the reservation, or derail my commitment to Christ, I'm just new here, and fresh eyes might offer something I haven't thought about. The last thing I will offer on the subject is, I think it is possible that finding your spiritual gift might be romanticised in Christianity. Maybe we've put way too much emphasis on it, and when we do that, it takes away from relying on the Holy Spirit to lead our everyday lives.
Sounds like your gift is endurance and steadfastness! God bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByHisLove

Feb 14, 2020
Portland
✟7,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I think that having a 'gift' is misunderstood. I will try to explain. We are all a part of the body that are like pieces of a puzzle. Once fits here and there, and another fits over there. The gifts can all be used by any believer as needed, when you are lead by the Holy Spirit.
They are as the body needs. This does not mean that everyone will get healed, or have visions, it means that if you are quiet and know the Father's voice and he prompts you to pray for someone that needs healing, a true Rema, then that person can be healed. It is not you, but the Father. I have a grandson that has been ill for a very long time, I pray but for my grandson, he has not been healed. I accept that, it is not in the Father's will, at this time.

Also, you have strengths, characters. Like giving, or serving. That is a gift, something that you do naturally, that the Father has made in you. Does that answer your question? I wouldn't worry about it. Just learn to have that deep relationship with the Father, learn to hear His voice, that still small quiet voice, learn patience and soon, you will hear Him and He will tell you who to pray for, and speak to you what is going on around you as needed!

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Judging by the few paragraphs you've posted here, I'd lean more toward the gift of wisdom and/or the gift of faith for you.

Upvote 0