Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
- A California woman is suing the maker of Tropicana claiming it is squeezing consumers by touting the best-selling U.S. orange juice as "100% pure and natural" when it is not.

In her federal lawsuit, plaintiff Angelena Lewis said Tropicana Products Inc, knowing consumers "want and demand natural products," deceives them in its advertising and packaging for its Pure Premium juice, including cartons featuring an orange with a straw stuck into it.

What's in that OJ? Tropicana is sued - Yahoo! News

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I feel no remorse for these juice companies. Practically every bottle I've seen has said "100% juice from concentrate and other natural products." It really annoys me we have such lax requirements on food labeling, as well as the cheap tricks they use like changing up serving sizes.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
100% natural labels are absolutely useless. I can sell you a bottle of strychnine with that label and it would be the truth. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good for you, and just because something isn't natural doesn't mean it's bad for you.

It's less about what is natural and unnatural then it is about the label being in no way regulated and untrue in this particular case.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I personally love Tropicana, and think it tastes far nicer than the supermarket brands that I often buy for sake of cheapness. However, I do think we should have more regulations on this sort of thing- it is just lies, after all.

Saying that, being led to believe that the juice is 100% natural does make it taste even nicer...

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Rotate the container 90 to 180 deg clockwise / counter clockwise & read the ingredients.
Then you won't be surprised.

Those labels are only tin the first place because of regulations, and even then companies try to skirt the rules, like a bottle of Gatorade having 2.5 servings in it, despite everyone treating the bottle as one serving. I like how they do it here, it's always the information for 100g of the food/drink.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Mehh
Ever watch How it's made? They did most of this years ago. Nothing really new.
How Orange Juice Is Made - YouTube

New or not, I question the point of consuming something that is so unpalatable it has to have processed flavor added to it in order to make it taste good. Not that I drink much juice anyway, because it's nothing but sugar.

Also, a lot of orange juice that has this "flavor pack" crap added to it is marketed as 100% juice and "all natural" and all that nonsense so that people will believe it's been squeezed out of oranges into a tank and then piped directly into cartons or bottles.

Don't even get me started on how much food marketing angers me. We live in a society where companies can peddle a product that's over 50% sugar by weight (I'm referring to most boxed cereals) and label it so it appears to be an excellent thing to give your kid for breakfast: WARNING: The Following Breakfast Cereals Contain More Sugar Than A Twinkie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
New or not, I question the point of consuming something that is so unpalatable it has to have processed flavor added to it in order to make it taste good. Not that I drink much juice anyway, because it's nothing but sugar.

Also, a lot of orange juice that has this "flavor pack" crap added to it is marketed as 100% juice and "all natural" and all that nonsense so that people will believe it's been squeezed out of oranges into a tank and then piped directly into cartons or bottles.

Don't even get me started on how much food marketing angers me. We live in a society where companies can peddle a product that's over 50% sugar by weight (I'm referring to most boxed cereals) and label it so it appears to be an excellent thing to give your kid for breakfast: WARNING: The Following Breakfast Cereals Contain More Sugar Than A Twinkie

See my earlier post, rotate package & read.
FYI Companies also peddle products that are 100% sugar by weight.

ETA: Fyi Orange Juice isn't 100% sugar no mater how much you'd like to say it is.

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
See my earlier post, rotate package & read.
FYI Companies also peddle products that are 100% sugar by weight.

ETA: Fyi Orange Juice isn't 100% sugar no mater how much you'd like to say it is.

Can you post a picture of an orange juice container where the flavor pack is listed in the ingredients? I'd love to see one.

And as far as I know, no one who sells sugar, even the raw stuff, claims that it's "Part of a balanced breakfast!" I don't know what point you're even attempting to make there.

And I never intended anyone to take away from my "nothing but sugar" statement that I meant that juice is 100% sugar, so I don't understand why you're even pointing that out. You're reaching, here. Why? Do you work for Tropicana or something?

Last edited:
Upvote 0