Whats all this falling down under the Spirit.

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟10,195.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Can someone with experience please tell me why alot of people are falling in the spirit. Do they just do this because one person starts it. I had a pastor practically force me down to the ground but I wouldnt let him. I held my ground. Is this scriptural, are we meant to fall in the spirit. Some people look like they are in pain. some people scream, come on would the Lord want us to be in pain.

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can someone with experience please tell me why alot of people are falling in the spirit. Do they just do this because one person starts it. I had a pastor practically force me down to the ground but I wouldnt let him. I held my ground. Is this scriptural, are we meant to fall in the spirit. Some people look like they are in pain. some people scream, come on would the Lord want us to be in pain.

They're caught up in the emotion of it all...just like the girls swooning at rock concerts. :p I'm glad you didn't fall for that nonsense.

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
They're caught up in the emotion of it all...just like the girls swooning at rock concerts. :p I'm glad you didn't fall for that nonsense.

You just packed everyone in the same boat. Thats pretty general and a bit condescending (calling it nonsense). In the presence of God, its hard to stand still. When the Holy Spirit is heavy on you, its hard to stand still.

Dont generalise please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Until you experience it, you may never understand why or how they fall under the powerful presence of the Holy Spirit.

Maybe some fake it, but DEFINITELY NOT ALL fake it or 'caught up in emotion'

Why the genuine ones do is because of the powerful presence of the Holy Spirit (Spirit of GOD)

If you dont, fall, thats ok, but I do not agree with anyone forcing anyone to the ground.

Why some scream, if its like a shriek maybe they are being delivered from unholy spirits.

Many people fall for many reasons. Some people may fall while healing is taking place. They basically all fall if the presence of the Holy Spirit is powerful on them. Some fall if the anointing falls on them, some fall in deliverance and they sometimes convulse, shriek etc when they re being delivered.

There is nothing nonsensical about what the Holy Spirit is doing to God's children. Many people cant help falling.

SO much more...

Upvote 0

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit does not knock people down just for the sake of an experience of unconsciousness. It is totally accurate to call that nonsense.

The gifts and manefestations of spiritual activity are both measured by the same stick, and that is whether or not the activity is edifying for the church. There is no other way to evaluate these things than to genearalize them. If the activity is simply for sensation sake, and does nothing to uplift the church body, if it is just bewildering, then it is not from God. It is either another spirit, or it is just people getting carried away with a fantasy.

People love to feel "experiences", rather than experience the true quickening of the spirit which reveals sins and brings real lasting peace and joy. A feeling of calm is not peace. Peace is something in your soul, not just in the flesh.

In case you are wondering I have had first hand experience with ministries of this kind, and I can say for sure, that no lasting peace ever came from "falling".

As to the screaming, this is a significant activity. Is anything that is said intelligble. Or is it simply noisy and wierd? If it is not beneficial for others in the church as well as the person screaming, it is not from God. For instance, dreams, visions, prophecies, these are gifts that edify the church. These also must be measured for their content as well, but these are things which can benefit the church. Don't take screaming as automatically a holy spirit thing, it sounds to me like the result of a person who is not of a sound mind, nor is it peaceful.

Look at content, and look at results. Is the congregation repenting? Is it changing for the better by the next week? Is anything changing in the lives of people outside the church services?

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in the bible-belt in NC and saw that lots at churches and
at camp meetings.

Like what the poster about said-- "Look at content, and look at results. Is the congregation repenting? Is it changing for the better by the next week? Is anything changing in the lives of people outside the church services"

That will tell you what spirit is at work...sadly it's been the wrong spirit in the
cases I've been witness to.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It can happen.
It is found even in the Old testament and exampled in the New
as well as documented throughout history.

Some of what is observed is real, some is emotional and
some could be counterfeit.

The counterfeit or emotional does not negate the real...

In the Old testament we find an example God's presence or Spirit
coming on king Saul and him being overcome.

1 Samuel 19:23-24

23 So he went there to Naioth in Ramah. Then the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on and prophesied until he came to Naioth in Ramah. 24 And he also stripped off his clothes and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Therefore they say, “Is Saul also among the prophets?”

In the New testament on the day of pentecost the people who were filled with God's
spirit were thought to be drunk. What do dunks do? The stagger and fall down.

I know of two women who love the Lord and would never do anything to counterfeit or shame
the Lord or themselves who one night were so overcome by God's spirit that they fell on the
floor of the church and laughed so hard they could not get up.
They finally crawled up by each others support and staggered to the front door and as
they staggered out onto the street they were witnessing to the passing people of
Jesus Christ and His salvation.

The church leaders were mad and accused the women of all kinds of evil intent and actions.

I interviewed each one and ask them what they had experienced.

They both said that they felt the love of God so strongly that they felt as if they
were little children before the Lord and that they had so much joy within them
that all they could do is laugh with joy.

I told the leaders that these women had experience what had taken place on the day
of pentecost when those in the upper room were overcome by God's spirit that they
spilled out onto the streets praising and witnessing of Jesus Christ and all the people
thought they were drunk.

Be careful not to dismiss what God can do to reset all of our unbelief, hardness of heart
and religious doctrines that say He is powerless because God can and will bring
us back to a place of love and trust as a little child, if we are willing.

All those who are quick to dismiss God's working in the supernatural will all
admit they have never experienced God's working in their own lives in
supernatural demonstrations of the Holy Spirit so they denounce not by
first hand knowledge but by their preconceived prejudices and man made doctrines.

I welcome any and all of what God would do in me to wrest control from my carnal fallen
nature and bring me to a place where I am so undone before God that I have fallen
under the weight of His glory that crushes out the flesh like a grape and leaves only
the new wine of His Holy Spirit.

Don't dismiss what God is doing in the lives of those who abandon themselves to God's love.

2 Samuel 6
14 Then David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was wearing a linen ephod.

Now as the ark of the Lord came into the City of David, Michal, Saul’s daughter, looked through a window and saw King David leaping and whirling before the Lord; and she despised him in her heart.

20 Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, “How glorious was the king of Israel today, uncovering himself today in the eyes of the maids of his servants, as one of the base fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!”

21 So David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the Lord. 22 And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor.”

Are you filled with the Spirit?
We are told to be filled with the Spirit of God.
Do you believe the Bible and the words of Christ and His disciples?
Are you pursuing God and asking for more of His Spirit or are you judging those who are?

Don't let what others look like when the Spirit of God comes upon them keep you from
seeking more of God and His Holy Spirit.

Take your eye's off others and surrender it all to the Lord and He will not disappoint you.

Ephesians 5:18
And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It is good to be cautious. Some might say we should default to a postition of "faith" and not be quick to question the authenticity of these things, but I would say we should be very careful and always question the authenticity of signs from God.

We are to "earnestly seek to prophesy", and to use our gifts to "build up" the church.

Upvote 0

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It is very real and sometimes when someone is under the anointing of the Holy Spirit ..the Holy Spirit can move through someone and the presence of the Holy Spirit cause someone to fall out or pass out...( because the presence of the Holy Spirit is so strong, not the person or pastor)It isnt forced..if a pastor is trying to force you down then he is trying to mimick an experience that isnt sincerely happening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

It appears this isn't an experience you have had but dont put down others who have stood in the presence of God and fallen out due to the power of His glory. It is an indescribable experience that many times cant be understood until one experiences this part of God themselves. With everything of God, satan has a counterfeit but dont generalize God with satan's counterfeits. God bless

Upvote 0

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It appears this isn't an experience you have had but dont put down others who have stood in the presence of God and fallen out due to the power of His glory. It is an indescribable experience that many times cant be understood until one experiences this part of God themselves. With everything of God, satan has a counterfeit but dont generalize God with satan's counterfeits. God bless

So what would you say is a good way to tell the fake from the real?

Upvote 0

revrod

Sep 25, 2012
Carthage, IL
✟7,795.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The best explanation of why some people fall down is because they stand up. Whenever a person encounters a power bigger than they are they will experience a response. God is big enough to do whatever He wants. When they came to arrest Jesus and asked which one was Jesus, He answered "I AM HE" and they all fell backwards.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

It's not Biblical, of course. It has to do with groupthink and inducing a sense of heightened expectation in your audience.

It's really nothing different than a good stage hypnotist does.

It's why they sing the same line over and over, like just singing "we worship You" over and over until the person works themselves into an altered state of consciousness and is highly suggestable.

Here's something to ponder: ever wonder why these people who fall lose control when Galatians 5 tells us that one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is self control?

Upvote 0

revrod

Sep 25, 2012
Carthage, IL
✟7,795.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not Biblical, of course. It has to do with groupthink and inducing a sense of heightened expectation in your audience.

It's really nothing different than a good stage hypnotist does.

It's why they sing the same line over and over, like just singing "we worship You" over and over until the person works themselves into an altered state of consciousness and is highly suggestable.

Here's something to ponder: ever wonder why these people who fall lose control when Galatians 5 tells us that one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is self control?

Your opinion is noted. However, I will say that while I have seen plenty of things faked in the name of Holy Spirit, I have also seen and experienced plenty of real. When someone has a genuine encounter with the power of God's Spirit and it genuinely changes their lives and produces the FRUIT of the Spirit then there is no denying its validity.

In terms of the fruit of self-control, this totally doesn't apply. The reality is that as you speak of self-control it would really be telling God what He couldn't do for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

Publius

Your opinion is noted. However, I will say that while I have seen plenty of things faked in the name of Holy Spirit, I have also seen and experienced plenty of real.

How do you know it's real? Because it gives you goosebumps? Or because you see it in scripture? If so, what verse?

When someone has a genuine encounter with the power of God's Spirit and it genuinely changes their lives and produces the FRUIT of the Spirit then there is no denying its validity.

I see. So then, you judge "validity" by subjective and esoteric standards?

In terms of the fruit of self-control, this totally doesn't apply. The reality is that as you speak of self-control it would really be telling God what He couldn't do for you.

Straw man. It has nothing to do with what God "can" do, but with what has already stated He will do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Well, you have touched on a very controversial subject within Christian circles. Here are some thoughts on this topic :

1. It is not biblically supported , and the closest thing in the Bible to it is when The Guards came to arrest Jesus in Gethsemane and wehn Jesus announced who he was...the Gaurds all fell . 2. While God DOES work in mysterious ways often...we must be very careful with paranormal actions. 3. I have witnessed the real thing when it came to a man being slain in the spirit and know for sure it wasnt contrived by him nor the Pastor who ever so slightly touched him. I even got to interview the man as he was on the ground and could not move. He reported that it was like elec tricity surging thru his bodydy and he was literally paralyzed for a good 5 minutes before moving again. I was standing right alongside of him when he went down and i tried to break his fall, but couldnt. He hit hard but had no repercussions from the fall. 4. It is NOT a normative practice even though some can and do fall under the Spriit of God. 5. MOST of it can be chalked up to socio-pyschological manipulation with onlookers, catchers, and a zealous Pastor to accomodate..so the person will oblige to that pressure --- such are the antics of Benny Hinn in particular. Go to YouTube and pull him up. 6. What is more important than the paranormal experience of falling in the Spirit, is, having a GOOD DOSE of the Holy Spirit living in us daily with evidence of the Fruit of the Spirit ; it is that which we should seek and not signs and wonders .

Those are some of my thoughts on the subject.

Upvote 0

revrod

Sep 25, 2012
Carthage, IL
✟7,795.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you know it's real? Because it gives you goosebumps? Or because you see it in scripture? If so, what verse?

John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

Revelation 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

just a few off the top of my head before I head out. This is not a major doctrine of the church, but it is valid Throughout the OT it speaks of God's glory and presence filling the area people found themselves and they were unable to enter or stand.

But, yes, the most important is the goosebumps. You got me there. :)

I see. So then, you judge "validity" by subjective and esoteric standards?

No, I judge validity in Jesus saying that we can judge by the fruit of the person, which is what I was saying. When God moves in or on a person's life the evidence will present itself.

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Straw man. It has nothing to do with what God "can" do, but with what has already stated He will do.

Noted. I do personally value the fruit of the Spirit as being above the gifts of the Spirit, but I don't believe God has eliminated either one.

I have to go. Will check back. And, for the record, I am not looking to argue, simply discuss. I have nothing to prove, just enjoy discussion. I don't claim to be know all or end all. But, I know what I believe and I know what God has done in my life.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

Revelation 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

Neither of which have anything to do with the question I asked you.

In the first case, it says that they fell to the ground, not that they were under the influence of the Holy Spirit and it says that they were able to see, to speak, and to reason. None of which happens during the "slain in the Spirit" nonsense.

In the second, he fell as the result of fear, not as the result of being "slain in the Spirit".

This is not a major doctrine of the church, but it is valid Throughout the OT it speaks of God's glory and presence filling the area people found themselves and they were unable to enter or stand.

Post verses.

But, yes, the most important is the goosebumps. You got me there.

Then no amount of reasoning from the scriptures will suffice and there is nothing productive or edifying in discussing this with you.

No, I judge validity in Jesus saying that we can judge by the fruit of the person, which is what I was saying. When God moves in or on a person's life the evidence will present itself.

In other words, yes.

I do personally value the fruit of the Spirit as being above the gifts of the Spirit, but I don't believe God has eliminated either one.

Strawman. Nobody is arguing that God has eliminated either one.

But, I know what I believe

The problem is that, by your own admission, the only basis for your belief is subjective and esoteric experiences.

Upvote 0

playbluebabble

Wide Awake
Oct 4, 2012
✟15,245.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private

I do not really see "why" I would seek out such things or consider that something useful.

I can not say "as a rule that is invariably bad", I am far more interested in what a church teaches and how their members judge others then what hand waving they perform.

Upvote 0