But by the grace of God I am what I am
Jan 3, 2010
Conway SC
✟8,053.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering what the best study bible and version/translation is the best? I've been choosing between MacArthur NASB and the ESV study bible or is there any other one that you prefer?

I us the MacArthur NASB study bible as my main bible. And I us the Reformation ESV study bible.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Spirit of The Reformation Study Bible is awesome. Despite it being the NIV it is truly the best study Bible I've come across. Additionally it includes all of the Heidelberg Cathecism, Westminster Confession of Faith with both the larger and shorter Chatecisms, and the Canons of Dort - all with scriptural references. It is really good stuff - I highly recommend it...

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The Spirit of The Reformation Study Bible is awesome. Despite it being the NIV it is truly the best study Bible I've come across. Additionally it includes all of the Heidelberg Cathecism, Westminster Confession of Faith with both the larger and shorter Chatecisms, and the Canons of Dort - all with scriptural references. It is really good stuff - I highly recommend it...

I agree, even though I have the Reformation Study Bible (ESV & NKJV) I bought the above because of the "extras."

Upvote 0

itisdeliciouscake

Deus est regit qui omnia
Apr 14, 2008
Indiana
✟11,689.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
My personal preference is MacArthur Study Bible NKJV
I used to have an extremely nice leather-bound one of these but I gave it to a friend who I thought could make better use of it. (I'm kind of a Bible-hoard)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Peasants! Get the original Study Bible, the 1599 Geneva Study Bible! ;) Over 300,000 commentary words by the reformers! When you whip this out in your Sunday School Classes, others will be silent. ;)

And be sure to carry it in a special messenger bag everywhere you go, so folks know where you stand:
http://bags.cafepress.com/item/calvin-rocks-messenger-bag/75246669

Sample chapter:
http://www.tollelegepress.com/downloads/1599_Romans.pdf

Second choice: the NKJV Reformation Study Bible...if you can find that translation.

AMR

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Peasants! Get the original Study Bible, the 1599 Geneva Study Bible! ;) Over 300,000 commentary words by the reformers! When you whip this out in your Sunday School Classes, others will be silent. ;)

I have it for nostalgia's sake - but I find it very tedious to study with. I just can't around the old english when I read it. One thing I plan on doing is reading my ESV along side to the Geneva Bible - read the scripture from the ESV and the notes from the Geneva Study Bible - and see if that helps.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have it for nostalgia's sake - but I find it very tedious to study with. I just can't around the old english when I read it. One thing I plan on doing is reading my ESV along side to the Geneva Bible - read the scripture from the ESV and the notes from the Geneva Study Bible - and see if that helps.

I actually do that with e-Sword.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've been using the ESV Study Bible, which is very good. There are some good theology articles and plently of very well done illustrations along with the notes. However, as the previous post says, you can throw your back out with it!

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you have e-Sword the Geneva bible is free.
The Tollelege Press version updates the old English, so what you have with the e-Sword version is something very different from the Tollelege Press version.

AMR

Upvote 0