Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not sure how to take this. :confused:
Nor I. :(

However to one of your comments, I am a dispensationalist... or used to be according to the old term LOL I have no idea what that might mean today. (As being an evangelical used to be a good term, and has different connotations today. :( )

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Nor I. :(

However to one of your comments, I am a dispensationalist... or used to be according to the old term LOL I have no idea what that might mean today. (As being an evangelical used to be a good term, and has different connotations today. :( )
The fact that you are Dispensational in your theology may be the biggest reason why you are having difficulty with a Presby pastor. My hope is that you both can find the time to set down together and talk. He may be able to help you understand Covenant theology better. If you are considering putting yourself under his pastorate it is imperitive.

Please forgive the spelling errors, my wife has taken my spelling dictionary and I haven't a clue what she has done with it.

It is always easy to blame her of course.;)

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The fact that you are Dispensational in your theology may be the biggest reason why you are having difficulty with a Presby pastor. My hope is that you both can find the time to set down together and talk. He may be able to help you understand Covenant theology better. If you are considering putting yourself under his pastorate it is imperitive.

Please forgive the spelling errors, my wife has taken my spelling dictionary and I haven't a clue what she has done with it.

It is always easy to blame her of course.;)

There's nothing wrong with my theology...it's the new definitions that are throwing me. :) I just don't know where my theology fits into the new age movement of terminology I guess. ;)

Basically--very basically-- what I was trained in is this: covenant theology is based upon there being 2 covenants from God: the Mosaic of the Law, and the NT of grace through faith in Christ Jesus. The dispensations are periods of time of man--God's--activity.... said
dispensation of grace being the one that began with the new covenant of Christ which we are now in and will be until the rapture. Then the 70th week begins (tribulation for those "left behind") and after that Christ's victory and the millennial reign with Him on earth... and after that 1000 years, believers are "forever with Him" in heaven. Basically.

BTW there's a spell checker with each post window...anything with squiggly lines is misspelled... can't you guess better? ROFL.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing wrong with my theology...it's the new definitions that are throwing me. :) I just don't know where my theology fits into the new age movement of terminology I guess. ;)

Basically--very basically-- what I was trained in is this: covenant theology is based upon there being 2 covenants from God: the Mosaic of the Law, and the NT of grace through faith in Christ Jesus. The dispensations are periods of time of man--God's--activity.... said dispensation of grace being the one that began with the new covenant of Christ which we are now in and will be until the rapture. Then the 70th week begins (tribulation for those "left behind") and after that Christ's victory and the millennial reign with Him on earth... and after that 1000 years, believers are "forever with Him" in heaven. Basically.

BTW there's a spell checker with each post window...anything with squiggly lines is misspelled... can't you guess better? ROFL. Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online
Yes that is classic Dispensationalism. But your teaching concerning covenant theology is off. It would be if you were taught what covenant theology is by a Dispensationalist.

I certainly don't want to overstep my bounds but if you wish I can give you a more detailed understanding of Covenant theology. But I must confess that I do not hold to Reformed Covenant theology as practiced by Presbyterians. I hold to a covenant theology more along the lines of the Baptist John Gill. But that doesn't mean that I don't know or understand both Dispensationalism or Reformed Covenant theology. I have actuall spent a great deal of time finding out what each believe and have a library full of writings from both.

Using the spell check function, which I just found since you pointed it out, would be too easy. I am an idiot who always seems to do things the hard way. ;)

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, while my institutional training was as a Baptist... I did change to Presbyterianism and sat under the direction of Dr D James Kennedy for several years. Of course, imo the Presbyterians used to be much weaker regarding eschatology and in historical studies as well, so in keeping with that I daresay there wasn't alot of training through the church then (and why should they since anyone wanting a full education could sign up for their Knox Seminary courses!)

Anyway... I gave only the basic premise of what used to be covenant theology. As I continue to study my Bible etc., I'm not sure how it could be "improved upon" and drastically changed and still remain true to God's Word. Perhaps this minister can explain his position to my liking after all :)

Upvote 0