What would be the ethical way of handling this situation?

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, I'm studying the book of Acts and I have been pondering on these situations. When Peter was arrested by Herod to please the Jews, the disciples prayed and God sent an angel to release him but there was a consequence, four of the guards were killed by Herod as a result of this miracle, these were probably innocent men who were bound by law to obey the wicked ruler. On another occasion, Paul and Silas were arrested and while imprisoned they prayed and sang at midnight and God sent an earthquake, they were unbound and free to go but they didn't, they even saved the life of the guard who wanted to commit suicide because he was fully aware of the consequence he would face if the Magistrate discovered that the prisoners had escaped.

Based on ethics, what should Peter have done to save the lives of the four guards, should he have risked his own death while preaching to them so that they live by not running off, what if Paul was killed by his decision to remain?
We are not responsible for the choices others make. Even if those choices cost their lives. We are very much responsible for our own choices a d that is actually the very burden so many try to run away from.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We are not responsible for the choices others make. Even if those choices cost their lives. We are very much responsible for our own choices a d that is actually the very burden so many try to run away from.

'Even as I please all men in all things not seeking mine own profit but the profit of many, that they may be saved' 1 Cor.10:33

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'Even as I please all men in all things not seeking mine own profit but the profit of many, that they may be saved' 1 Cor.10:33
Where does that say Paul is responsible for the choices others make? That was my point. This does address that fact. God does not hold us responsible for the choices others make but holds us completely responsible for the choices we make.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Where does that say Paul is responsible for the choices others make? That was my point. This does address that fact. God does not hold us responsible for the choices others make but holds us completely responsible for the choices we make.

This isn't entirely true.

Read, Luke 17:2, Romans 14:20-21, Matt.13:41

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This isn't entirely true.

Read, Luke 17:2, Romans 14:20-21, Matt.13:41
Don’t see that anything here supports your position. Can you pinpoint which wears you this supports your position please? The first lays the blame for a man’s choices directly upon himself. It isn’t that the “little one” stumbles which could happen if the man did nothing. It’s that the man’s own choice was so wrong that punishment will he executed.

I said we are not responsible for the choices others make but are very much responsible for the choices we make. Please point out where you think the Bible disagrees with that statement.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Don’t see that anything here supports your position. Can you pinpoint which wears you this supports your position please? The first lays the blame for a man’s choices directly upon himself. It isn’t that the “little one” stumbles which could happen if the man did nothing. It’s that the man’s own choice was so wrong that punishment will he executed.

I said we are not responsible for the choices others make but are very much responsible for the choices we make. Please point out where you think the Bible disagrees with that statement.

In the opening post, i posted two biblical situations, one involving apostle Peter and the other involving Paul. Both are quite similar situations with differing results, and i asked a question based on "ethics", i repeat, the question was asked based on 'ethics'.

In Paul's case, the Jailer gave his life to Christ and was baptised with his family, Paul and Silas were set free the next day with a public apology
given by the Magistrate. The Jailer was about to commit suicide knowing for sure that he would have been killed had the Magistrate discovered that Paul had escaped, thankfully, Paul stopped him just in time, Paul saved his life and still got miraculously freed the next dday. Why didn't Paul and Silas leave after the earth quake, what stopped him? perhaps he stayed to save the life of the Jailer and to lead him to Christ

In apostle Peter's case, he left, unfortunately, Herod ordered the execution of the four guards as a result of this. Take note, I'm not blaming Peter for anyone's choice, but rather raising a question on his own choice in handling the situation.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the opening post, i posted two biblical situations, one involving apostle Peter and the other involving Paul. Both are quite similar situations with differing results, and i asked a question based on "ethics", i repeat, the question was asked based on 'ethics'.

In Paul's case, the Jailer gave his life to Christ and was baptised with his family, Paul and Silas were set free the next day with a public apology
given by the Magistrate. The Jailer was about to commit suicide knowing for sure that he would have been killed had the Magistrate discovered that Paul had escaped, thankfully, Paul stopped him just in time, Paul saved his life and still got miraculously freed the next dday. Why didn't Paul and Silas leave after the earth quake, what stopped him? perhaps he stayed to save the life of the Jailer and to lead him to Christ

In apostle Peter's case, he left, unfortunately, Herod ordered the execution of the four guards as a result of this. Take note, I'm not blaming Peter for anyone's choice, but rather raising a question on his own choice in handling the situation.
You actually are blaming Peter for their death by questioning their “handling of the situation.” What you have to assume is that

1) death is the ultimate evil to be avoided even if we have to refuse to do the will of God to secure the safety of others

2) By so choosing we assume we have higher ethics than God

3) If our totally righteous choices in Gods eyes result in someone making an immoral choice, that’s our fault. That’s your assumption. We then become the captives of other men’s choices. A cage indeed. It isn’t true.

The guards in Paul’s case repented and were saved. The guards in Peters case had exactly the same option. Death overtakes all of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The other thing that could be added is Peter was awakened by an angel who told him to get up and follow him. In your proposal Peter should have refused the angels instructions, that is, disobey the Living God, for the sake of some guards. If an angel from God ever tells you to follow him, it would be foolish to refuse assuming you know better.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Based on ethics, what should Peter have done to save the lives of the four guards,

Do we know for certain that Peter was aware that the guards would be killed?
Was He informed?
I think Songonthewind, pointed this out, in a former post.

Paul knew of the Jailor, so, we know that for certain.

Upvote 0