bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I think of spiritual songs, it brings to mind the opposite which would be non-spiritual songs.

What do I think non-spiritual songs are? Those songs which do not exalt Christ or build up His Church in knowledge of Him.

So, by that line of thinking, spiritual songs would be those that DO exalt Christ or build up His Church in knowledge of Him.

At least that's the way I'm understanding it.

Upvote 0

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
When I think of spiritual songs, it brings to mind the opposite which would be non-spiritual songs.

What do I think non-spiritual songs are? Those songs which do not exalt Christ or build up His Church in knowledge of Him.

So, by that line of thinking, spiritual songs would be those that DO exalt Christ or build up His Church in knowledge of Him.

At least that's the way I'm understanding it.

I agree, and also believe that, because when we sing and play praise music, we do these things for an audience of one.

We play and sing to the Lord.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me start off by stating that I am not racist, but the first time I ever heard that term, it was referring to the songs that the field workers sang in the fields in the old South to help the day go by faster, and to comfort themselves.
My mom and dad had an album of them sang accopella (sp) in their traditional form, that was put out by either Time Life, or the Smithsonian...They were absolutely beautiful!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Randy_R

Citizen of Gods Kingdom
Jan 21, 2011
Kansas
✟7,697.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Pneumatikos is an adjective that is almost exclusively Pauline. In Pauline usage it means belonging to or pertaining to the Holy Spirit. So Spiritual songs would be impromptu songs under the direction of the Holy Spirit, just like praying in the Spirit would be praying under the guidance of the Spirit. These songs could be in tongues or in a person's native language, the main point being that they originate from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Paul uses the phrases "praying in the Spirit" and "praying in tongues" the same way, both mean the same thing. When we pray in the Spirit we pray in tongues and when we sing in the Spirit we are singing in tongues. Besides its use by Paul in 1Co 14:15-16;Eph 4:16; Eph 5:19 the same phrase is used by Jude in 1:20.

Barry

Upvote 0

Randy_R

Citizen of Gods Kingdom
Jan 21, 2011
Kansas
✟7,697.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Paul uses the phrases "praying in the Spirit" and "praying in tongues" the same way, both mean the same thing. When we pray in the Spirit we pray in tongues and when we sing in the Spirit we are singing in tongues. Besides its use by Paul in 1Co 14:15-16;Eph 4:16; Eph 5:19 the same phrase is used by Jude in 1:20.

Barry

Personally, I don't care if you talk in tongues until your lips fall off, but it does mean more than just tongues.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Holy Spirit is not bound to tongues, and neither is His music. Any music that ushers us into His Presence is legitimate spiritual music, be it impromptu or otherwise.

Blessings,
p.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Randy R

Personally, I don't care if you talk in tongues until your lips fall off, but it does mean more than just tongues.
Your disdain for the ability of the Holy Spirit to pray through the believer is noted; I am a bit surprised that you have discounted the Spirit in the manner that you have but to each his own.

I am sure that there are many who would be intrigued to see your definition of "more" with regard to prayer; is there a better way of praying than in the Spirit?

Barry

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Randy R

Your disdain for the ability of the Holy Spirit to pray through the believer is noted; I am a bit surprised that you have discounted the Spirit in the manner that you have but to each his own.

I am sure that there are many who would be intrigued to see your definition of "more" with regard to prayer; is there a better way of praying than in the Spirit?

Barry

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Randy_R

Citizen of Gods Kingdom
Jan 21, 2011
Kansas
✟7,697.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Randy R

Barry

Praying in the Spirit includes quietly waiting for the Holy Spirit to direct you what to pray for and how to pray for it. One paragraph of praise at a time, one petition at a time, one item at a time. Allowing the Spirit to direct you in prayer, step by step. You can pray in the Spirit in tongues or you can pray in the Spirit in your native language. However if you allow the Spirit to pray through you in your native language you allow Him to inform your mind of what is on the Mind of the Spirit that He wants you to pray for so that after you have prayed you can see the direction the Spirit has taken you.

Praying in tongues on the other hand is great for praying for things that you don't need to know about. If you're praying for someone in government, you can pray in tongues with a specificity that you can't in your native language. Same thing in praying for Missionaries in restricted countries.

Both have their place for different reasons. However praying in the Spirit in your native language becomes a school of prayer, as well as allowing you to see directions He wants you to go in your service and growth in Christ.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Pneumatikos is an adjective that is almost exclusively Pauline. In Pauline usage it means belonging to or pertaining to the Holy Spirit. So Spiritual songs would be impromptu songs under the direction of the Holy Spirit, just like praying in the Spirit would be praying under the guidance of the Spirit. These songs could be in tongues or in a person's native language, the main point being that they originate from the Holy Spirit.

I tend to agree with this. I have had quite a few experiences of the Lord singing through me prophetically and of being inspired by Him to sing songs to Him that were in the flow of what He wanted to do among His people. (I hope that makes sense, LOL) And - for me - it has almost always been in English.

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Randy R (# 11),
However if you allow the Spirit to pray through you in your native language you allow Him to inform your mind of what is on the Mind of the Spirit that He wants you to pray for so that after you have prayed you can see the direction the Spirit has taken you.
By the way, when I read my earlier response to you it did seem a bit terse which is something that I can fall into if I respond when I’m a bit weary.

I must certainly say that if we were to understand the mind of the Spirit regarding want he wants us to pray that this would be a form of prayer that I have never heard anyone move into.

I’m not sure how I would handle knowing the deepest thoughts and troubles of someone who I was praying for and if I was praying for my own needs then I guess that such revelations from the Spirit would be the answer to my needs as the Spirit would be allowing me to have such a great understanding of my requirements. As the Spirit only prays through us in accordance with the will and purposes of God this would mean that our prayers answer our needs before the Father needs to respond to them – as such our prayers become self-answering which in my line of thinking would make us equal to God himself.

This is an advantage of praying in the Spirit where Paul says he will pray with the mind and pray with the Spirit; the first one is cognitive where we pray in accordance with our own understanding and reasoning and within our human limitations and spiritual maturity; whereas praying in the Spirit is in angelic languages which we can never understand where the Spirit intercedes on our behalf strictly in accordance with the Fathers will and within the knowledge that the Spirit has of all things.

When it comes to singing in the Spirit, I wonder if it is more about praise to the Father than it is with prayer requests; is singing more conducive to praise than say with intercession on the behalf of someone who is facing serious struggles? Maybe if someone is more inclined to music it could be a more natural approach than with someone who is maybe a bit more analytical; maybe there is no real answer to this question.

Barry

Upvote 0

Randy_R

Citizen of Gods Kingdom
Jan 21, 2011
Kansas
✟7,697.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
When it comes to singing in the Spirit, I wonder if it is more about praise to the Father than it is with prayer requests; is singing more conducive to praise than say with intercession on the behalf of someone who is facing serious struggles? Maybe if someone is more inclined to music it could be a more natural approach than with someone who is maybe a bit more analytical; maybe there is no real answer to this question.

Barry

I don't know. When I'm singing in tongues it always seems more praise than anything else, but Psalms is the songbook of the Bible and it certainly includes more than just praise. It will be interesting to get to heaven and hear some of the things we've been praying and singing in tongues while in this life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Codger

Oct 23, 2003
N. E. Ohio
✟1,926.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Years ago I was listening to a tape of an exorcism. At one point the subject started singing...

Let us break bread together on our knees, (on our knees)
Let us break bread together on our knees. (on our knees)
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun,
O Lord, have mercy on me.

When this spirit was asked his name he blurted out "False religious songs." There are many others like Michael row your boat ashore and so on. I would say that the name of Jesus and his work on earth as well as scriptures in song are valid and true worship songs. These spirits don't want to say "Jesus" and almost choke to say "Lord."

To this day I don't sing these songs anymore - as well as others.

Upvote 0