Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 3:19(NKJV)
19What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.

to what transgressions is this verse referring?

7trees

Oct 15, 2016
Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
19What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.

'Sin is a transgression of the Law' the bible says but what transgression before the Law? There was always a spiritual Law and to sin against that made it necessary to formalize the holiness of this Law in commands and regulations: The Law of Moses.

Upvote 0

smithed64

To Die is gain, To Live is Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟41,497.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Here is the verse in context.

16Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 17And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. 18For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise. 19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. 20Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. 21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. 22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Paul's writings were done this way, many times. He would ask a question as in a debate with someone there is a certain terminology for it, but at this time I can't remember what it is. I will find out though.

In any case. Paul ask, "Wherefore then serveth the law?" You have to go to verses 16-18 to find out why he ask.
v16, Paul is speaking about the promise made to Abraham and his seed. He emphasis that the promise was made to one seed, which is Christ.
v17, He is telling the church, that the promise or covenant was confirm before of God in Christ, the promise wasn't given through the law, which was given 430 years after the promise was given. The law also couldn't disannul the promise, if it did it would make the promise no good.
v18, The promise that God made to Abraham and his seed, Christ, was an inheritance, if it had been from the law, it wouldn't have been a promise, but it was given to Abraham by promise. The law doesn't trump God and His promises.
v19 (now to the question at hand) Wherefore serveth the law? other words, do we serve the law? He then explains why the law was made, because of transgressions. Other words, because of the transgressions of the jews at the time the laws where made, was the reason for the laws to be made. And the law is what lead men to God, until the seed (Christ) came. He didn't come to destroy or to get rid of the Law, but to enforce it, he even enhanced a few in explanation of them.

So that was the long answer.

The short answer is, the transgressions of the jews at the time the law was made. Those transgressions is why God put the laws into written form.

Remember, keep the verse in context with the other verses around it. I tell others sometimes to do the 20/20 rule...if you find a verse that stumps you, read 20 verses ahead of that verse and 20 verses after that verse. Asking Holy Spirit to help you to understand, the principle(s) He is trying to show you.

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Before Moses received his stones with law, I think israelites very much wanted to make golden bull and make idol from it. And always unhappy wanted go back to Egypt. Etc So, God gave laws against their bad behavourings in order to tell them it's bad. Then God gave many many more laws during when Israelites doing other bad things.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Romans 3 - "All have sinned"
Romans 3 - the Law binds all people as sinners "so that the entire world may be accountable to God" -- everyone needs a Savior.

But the Gal 3 text is dealing with placing the moral law of God on tablets of stone - and makes the point that the rebellion of mankind to that point - made it necessary.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Romans 3 - "All have sinned"
Romans 3 - the Law binds all people as sinners "so that the entire world may be accountable to God" -- everyone needs a Savior.

But the Gal 3 text is dealing with placing the moral law of God on tablets of stone - and makes the point that the rebellion of mankind to that point - made it necessary.

Precisely where is the term "moral law" found in the Bible?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Rom 3:19-21 and Romans 7 are clear - it is the law that defines what sin is.

1 John 3:4 also confirms "SIN IS transgression of the LAW"

And of course - everyone knows that "taking God's name in vain" is sin - it is one of the TEN Commandments.

of course - Eph 6:2 the 5th commandment is the FIRST commandment in that "LIST OF TEN" -- "with a promise" and is binding on all mankind - as are all in that "unit of TEN"

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Rom 3:19-21 and Romans 7 are clear - it is the law that defines what sin is.

1 John 3:4 also confirms "SIN IS transgression of the LAW"

And of course - everyone knows that "taking God's name in vain" is sin - it is one of the TEN Commandments.

of course - Eph 6:2 the 5th commandment is the FIRST commandment in that "LIST OF TEN" -- "with a promise" and is binding on all mankind - as are all in that "unit of TEN"

So, yet again, I ask you when you intend to repent and start obeying the Law - not just a select handful of commandments?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
what do you mean?

What I mean is that the Law is not just ten commandments from God which we have the liberty to adjust to our own preferences. The Law consists of every commandment from God given to His covenant people, Israel. If one insists on keeping the Law, as Bob does, yet only keeps ten of God's commandments, then he has broken the law and is a condemned sinner worthy of God's eternal judgment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

As I am lead to understand, these are transgression of conscience; conscience being the "law written on the heart": Romans 2:15: as opposed to "tables of stone": the law was then added to "set the conscience in stone", as it were, for purposes of "purification of conscience" toward sin: Hebrews 10:2, Hebrews 10:22: in other words, by the law people could have a form of objectivity to law, and thereby a form of annual "purge of conscience" in relation to their own condemnation of their own heart toward themselves. This was "added" for this purpose until the eternal sacrifice would be made through Christ to a perpetual one-and-for-all elimination of "an evil conscience" toward ones own self by ones own heart: thus, casting out the "fear and torment" of an "evil conscience" seared by "knowledge of sin" into the liberty expressed through the sacrifice of Christ allowing our own conscience to cease its condemnation of ourselves, having made "peace" through Christ: Romans 8:1:

But to those who try to attain righteousness through the works of the law by their own will and power, they have "removed" from this peace, and constantly have their "conscience" seared by renewed sin in their constant failure to keep the law: and as such have "no more sacrifice for sins" (seeing the sacrifice of Christ was not enough for them to purge their conscience of sin, they go about to "add" by their own hand to the perfect sacrifice of Christ, and continually fail) but instead Hebrews 10:27

However, to them made perfect through Christ, and who abide solely in the grace and finished work of Christ (without "looking back" or "returning again" to the bondage of carnal rules and commands in a desire to "perfect" the work of Christ with their own will and works) there is peace from this "torment": 1 John 4:18: and so John speaks of this as the "law written in the heart" as opposed to a "set of carnal rules to be followed, or else...": 1 John 3:20-21

This is the spiritual Sabbath which all in Christ experience; as we cease from working, and enjoy perpetual rest in the finished work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,745.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As I am lead to understand, these are transgression of conscience; conscience being the "law written on the heart": Romans 2:15: as opposed to "tables of stone": the law was then added to "set the conscience in stone", as it were, for purposes of "purification of conscience" toward sin: Hebrews 10:2, Hebrews 10:22: in other words, by the law people could have a form of objectivity to law, and thereby a form of annual "purge of conscience" in relation to their own condemnation of their own heart toward themselves. This was "added" for this purpose until the eternal sacrifice would be made through Christ to a perpetual one-and-for-all elimination of "an evil conscience" toward ones own self by ones own heart: thus, casting out the "fear and torment" of an "evil conscience" seared by "knowledge of sin" into the liberty expressed through the sacrifice of Christ allowing our own conscience to cease its condemnation of ourselves, having made "peace" through Christ: Romans 8:1:

But to those who try to attain righteousness through the works of the law by their own will and power, they have "removed" from this peace, and constantly have their "conscience" seared by renewed sin in their constant failure to keep the law: and as such have "no more sacrifice for sins" (seeing the sacrifice of Christ was not enough for them to purge their conscience of sin, they go about to "add" by their own hand to the perfect sacrifice of Christ, and continually fail) but instead Hebrews 10:27

However, to them made perfect through Christ, and who adibe soley in the grace and finished work of Christ there is peace from this "torment": 1 John 14:18: and so John speaks of this as the "law written in the heart" as opposed to a "set of carnal rules to be followed, or else...": 1 John 3:20-21

Excellent reply. Thank you.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

However, to them made perfect through Christ, and who abide solely in the grace and finished work of Christ (without "looking back" or "returning again" to the bondage of carnal rules and commands in a desire to "perfect" the work of Christ with their own will and works) there is peace from this "torment": 1 John 4:18: and so John speaks of this as the "law written in the heart" as opposed to a "set of carnal rules to be followed, or else...": 1 John 3:20-21

This is the spiritual Sabbath which all in Christ experience; as we cease from working, and enjoy perpetual rest in the finished work.
i see, however, the ten commandments aren't carnal rules!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i see, however, the ten commandments aren't carnal rules!

I would disagree. Hebrews 7:15-17, Hebrews 7:18-19 seem to me to make no difference between "the law" and "carnal commandment"; using the two interchangeably. A "carnal commandment" is one that pertains to carnal activities, "touch not, taste not, handle not": as "the law" is regarding the ten commandments: Deuteronomy 10:4, Deuteronomy 33:2

But if it offend, you may feel free to just understand it as "the law"

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would disagree. Hebrews 7:15-17, Hebrews 7:18-19 seem to me to make no difference between "the law" and "carnal commandment"; using the two interchangeably. A "carnal commandment" is one that pertains to carnal activities, "touch not, taste not, handle not": as "the law" is regarding the ten commandments: Deuteronomy 10:4, Deuteronomy 33:2

But if it offend, you may feel free to just understand it as "the law"
no offense, it's just that i thought a carnal commandment meant that it takes physical labor to accomplish.

for example, if one had to wash to fulfill the ordinance, then one would have to physically accomplish the act by putting water on the body and so on.

and my understanding of the ten commandments are that they are a spiritual law, which takes no physical labor to accomplish, even with the sabbath - which takes no physical labor to accomplish.

besides, the 7th chapter of hebrews is speaking of laws that governed the priesthood, namely tithing.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
no offense, it's just that i thought a carnal commandment meant that it takes physical labor to accomplish.

for example, if one had to wash to fulfill the ordinance, then one would have to physically accomplish the act by putting water on the body and so on.

Sure, that is for a "do this carnal thing (wash your hands)"; and a "don't do this carnal thing" would be like "do not commit adultery" which, adultery is a carnal activity, and this command - taken carnally - is restricting a carnal activity. Physically rest on a specific day is prohibiting carnal labor, and also a carnal commandment, not to perform physical/carnal labor on a certain day.

and my understanding of the ten commandments are that they are a spiritual law, which takes no physical labor to accomplish, even with the sabbath - which takes no physical labor to accomplish.

Any "don't do this thing" is a commandment which requires no physical labor in that you're not supposed to "do" it, at all. Carnality refers to the way it's understood. All commandments can be understood carnally, or, they can be understood spiritually.

"Be fruitful and multiply" can be understood as a carnal commandment to, take a carnal wife, pass your carnal seed, and bear carnal children. Or, it can be understood as a spiritual commandment to, take a spiritual wife, pass your spiritual seed, and bear spiritual children (meaning, teach people, and make disciples). The law is spiritual in the sense that it is understood under the new covenant spiritually; or, it is "spiritually discerned" and "spiritually obeyed"

besides, the 7th chapter of hebrews is speaking of laws that governed the priesthood, namely tithing.

Again, if the word "carnal" is causing a stumbling at my words, simply ignore the word and the reply is the same in spirit.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sure, that is for a "do this carnal thing (wash your hands)"; and a "don't do this carnal thing" would be like "do not commit adultery" which, adultery is a carnal activity, and this command - taken carnally - is restricting a carnal activity. Physically rest on a specific day is prohibiting carnal labor, and also a carnal commandment, not to perform physical/carnal labor on a certain day.

Any "don't do this thing" is a commandment which requires no physical labor in that you're not supposed to "do" it, at all. Carnality refers to the way it's understood. All commandments can be understood carnally, or, they can be understood spiritually.

"Be fruitful and multiply" can be understood as a carnal commandment to, take a carnal wife, pass your carnal seed, and bear carnal children. Or, it can be understood as a spiritual commandment to, take a spiritual wife, pass your spiritual seed, and bear spiritual children (meaning, teach people, and make disciples). The law is spiritual in the sense that it is understood under the new covenant spiritually; or, it is "spiritually discerned" and "spiritually obeyed"

Again, if the word "carnal" is causing a stumbling at my words, simply ignore the word and the reply is the same in spirit.
ok.

i'm going to do a thread on the law here within a couple of days.

i'm still doing some organization and maybe we can continue in that thread.

Upvote 0