Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You will never find the perfect church. There is no such thing because it is filled with (ugh!) ... PEOPLE! You have a pastor who puts thought and study into his messages. Your children benefit from a strong youth ministry. You have active, vibrant worshipers who apparently, by your own description, care for and love one another. It may not be perfect, but I think we've already covered that. Why worry about tongues? I personally don't believe in tongues as valid modern ministry, nor do I speak in tongues. But I don't judge people who do. That is their method of worship, and given this ... ... it would seem they are not extremists haughty and misguidedly believing it is the only evidence of the Holy Spirit and therefore a indication of "saved or not saved."

Be blessed that you have a loving, dynamic church that preaches Christ and Him crucified. Unless the leadership begins pushing tongues as a requirement of membership or some other such insane tripe, stay put and grow. There are worse things that could be present that would be a valid concern for you and your family.
Good points. My only concern is the AoG belief that one has not received the Holy Spirit until the evidence of speaking in tongues. I don't see that in the Bible. I see that we receive the Holy Spirit at the time we are saved.

I'm praying!

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My only concern is the AoG belief that one has not received the Holy Spirit until the evidence of speaking in tongues.
... if this church isn't pressing that as an issue, allay your fears. If that changes, then look elsewhere. And ...
I'm praying!
... keep it up! God's blessings on you and your family. And, keep a list of good SBC churches close by. ;) :cool: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Good points. My only concern is the AoG belief that one has not received the Holy Spirit until the evidence of speaking in tongues. I don't see that in the Bible. I see that we receive the Holy Spirit at the time we are saved.

I'm praying!
I understand your concern.
Every congregation is a little different though, and it may be that THAT particular church is not so adamant on that point.
It IS curious that those in the New Testament accounts who received the Holy Spirit also immediately received the tongues.
One does wonder why we don't see that today.

I was taught to pray for it, ask for it, wait for it, and get my mouth moving to get it started.
Obviously, those in the book of Acts did not need to "help God out" in that way.
People are funny.

Remember God is even more interested in the spiritual safety of your family than you are.
You are the head of your household.
He will lead you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.