Visit site
✟1,357,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was the time of the Passover. Satan had now entered into Judas Iscariot, one of Jesus’ 12 disciples, and he went out and betrayed Jesus to the death. But Judas Iscariot was still with Jesus and the other disciples for the Passover meal. And during the meal…

Luke 22:19-20 ESV

“And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, ‘This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’ And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, ‘This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.’”

Now this is something we do as Christians at the gatherings of the church, but perhaps not in all such gatherings. And we call this “taking communion.” It is the time when we as the body of Christ collectively reflect over what Jesus Christ did for us in dying on that cross for our sins and in being raised from the dead. We bring that to remembrance as we drink of the fruit of the vine and as we eat of the bread. But this is a time, not only of reflection, but of worship, thanksgiving, prayer, self-examination, and repentance, too.

[Jn 6:48-58; 1 Co 10:16-22; 1 Co 11:23-25; 2 Co 13:5-7; 2 Pet 1:10-11]

Now this time of remembrance is not to be taken lightly, and it is not to be only a religious practice or ritual we go through. And these symbols of the bread and of the fruit of the vine are not only symbols of Jesus’ death on that cross for our sins, but they symbolize the purpose for why he died on that cross which was to deliver us out of our slavery (addiction) to sin and to give us new lives in Christ, no longer to be lived in sin and for self, but to be lived now in obedience to our Lord in walks of holiness (Romans 6:1-23).

And not only that, but our taking of the cup and of the bread is symbolic of us participating with Christ in death to sin and in living to righteousness. And remember here the words of Jesus when he said that if we would come after him that we must deny self, take up our cross daily (die daily to sin and to self) and follow (obey) him. For if we hold on to our old lives of living in sin and for self, we will lose them for eternity, but if for Jesus’ sake we give up our lives of sin to live for God, then we have eternal life (Luke 9:23-26).

So, not only is the lesson here that this remembrance of what Jesus did for us is not to be in form only, but it is to encourage us strongly to be putting what he did for us in practice in our daily lives. For it is also a warning to us that if we do not die with him to sin but we hold on to our old lives of living in sin, that we will not inherit eternal life with God. For Jesus also said that not everyone who says to him, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one DOING the will of God (Matthew 7:21-23).

“Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world” (1 Corinthians 11:27-32).

So, please take this to heart. For we cannot just go through the motions of religious practice and expect that God will be pleased with our lives.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty

By Joachim Neander 1680 tr. By Catherine Winkworth 1863

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;
Praise Him in glad adoration.

Praise to the Lord, who o’er all things so wondrously reigneth,
Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen how thy desires e’er have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee;
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
If with His love He befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord, oh, let all that is in me adore Him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him;
Let the Amen sound from His people again,
Gladly for aye we adore Him.

Caution: This link may contain ads

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm fascinated by the wonderful music video you posted. I don't see the singer using any earbuds or headphones, so I'm trying to figure out how he keeps each of the parts in sync with the other parts without being able to hear them...
He probably prerecords each part using headphones and then he mechanically aligns them all together and this is probably him lip syncing with the music, but I don't know that for sure. He has done many of the old hymns this way. My husband and I love listening to him sing the old hymns.

Upvote 0