What should I read regarding infant baptism?

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Baptism, by Francis Schaeffer

The Polemics of Infant Baptism, B.B. Warfield

Institutes -- Paedobaptism, John Calvin

My own view started with one point in particular: the fact that God actually commanded the sign of faith be applied on infants in the Old Testament, and didn't revoke or reverse or attack that command anywhere in the New Testament.

Baptists command that infants not be given the sign of faith. That's a 180-deg reversal from any other command you can find from God about a sign of faith.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Baptism: Its Meaning and Purpose by Dr. Greg L. Bahnsen
Why We Baptize Infants by Dr. John Murray
Discourse 1 on Infant Baptism by Rev. Samuel Miller
Discourse 2 on Infant Baptism by Rev. Samuel Miller
Discourses 3-4 on Infant Baptism by Rev. Samuel Miller

Westminster Confession of Faith Chapter 28: Of Baptism
28:1 Baptism is a sacrament of the New Testament, ordained by Jesus Christ (Mat_28:19), not only for the solemn admission of the party baptized into the visible Church (1Co_12:13); but also, to be unto him a sign and seal of the covenant of grace (Rom_4:11 with Col_2:11, Col_2:12), of his ingrafting into Christ (Rom_6:5; Gal_3:27), of regeneration (Tit_3:5), of remission of sins (Mar_1:4), and of his giving up unto God through Jesus Christ, to walk in newness of life (Rom_6:3, Rom_6:4). Which sacrament is, by Christ’s own appointment, to be continued in His Church until the end of the world (Mat_28:19, Mat_28:20).

28:2 The outward element to be used in this sacrament is water, wherewith the party is to be baptized, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, by a minister of the Gospel, lawfully called thereunto (Mat_3:11; Mat_28:19, Mat_28:20; Joh_1:33).

28:3 Dipping of the person into the water is not necessary: but Baptism is rightly administered by pouring or sprinkling water upon the person (Mar_7:4; Act_2:41; Act_16:33; Heb_9:10, Heb_9:19-22).

28:4 Not only those that do actually profess faith in and obedience unto Christ (Mar_16:15, Mar_16:16; Act_8:37, Act_8:38), but also the infants of one or both believing parents, are to be baptized (Gen_17:7, Gen_17:9 with Gal_3:9, Gal_3:14, and Col_2:11, Col_2:12, and Act_2:38, Act_2:39, and Rom_4:11, Rom_4:12; Mat_28:19; Mar_10:13-16; Luk_18:15; 1Co_7:14).

28:5 Although it be a great sin to contemn or neglect this ordinance (Luk_7:30 with Exo_4:24-26), yet grace and salvation are not so inseparably annexed unto it, as that no person can be regenerated or saved without it (Act_10:2, Act_10:4, Act_10:22, Act_10:31, Act_10:45, Act_10:47; Rom_4:11); or, that all that are baptized are undoubtedly regenerated (Act_8:13, Act_8:23).

28:6 The efficacy of Baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered (Joh_3:5, Joh_3:8); yet notwithstanding, by the right use of this ordinance, the grace promised is not only offered, but really exhibited and conferred, by the Holy Ghost, to such (whether of age or infants) as that grace belongeth unto, according to the counsel of God’s own will, in His appointed time (Act_2:38, Act_2:41; Gal_3:27; Eph_5:25, Eph_5:26; Tit_3:5).

28:7 The sacrament of Baptism is but once to be administered unto any person (Tit_3:5).

Westminster Larger Catechism
Question 165: What is Baptism?
Answer:
Baptism is a sacrament of the New Testament, wherein Christ has ordained the washing with water in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, to be a sign and seal of ingrafting into himself, of remission of sins by his blood, and regeneration by his Spirit; of adoption, and resurrection unto everlasting life; and whereby the parties baptized are solemnly admitted into the visible church, and enter into an open and professed engagement to be wholly and only the Lord’s.

Question 166: Unto whom is Baptism to be administered?
Answer:
Baptism is not to be administered to any that are out of the visible church, and so strangers from the covenant of promise, till they profess their faith in Christ, and obedience to him, but infants descending from parents, either both, or but one of them, professing faith in Christ, and obedience to him, are in that respect within the covenant, and to be baptized.

Question 167: How is our Baptism to be improved by us?
Answer:
The needful but much neglected duty of improving our Baptism, is to be performed by us all our life long, especially in the time of temptation, and when we are present at the administration of it to others; by serious and thankful consideration of the nature of it, and of the ends for which Christ instituted it, the privileges and benefits conferred and sealed thereby, and our solemn vow made therein; by being humbled for our sinful defilement, our falling short of, and walking contrary to, the grace of baptism, and our engagements; by growing up to assurance of pardon of sin, and of all other blessings sealed to us in that sacrament; by drawing strength from the death and resurrection of Christ, into whom we are baptized, for the mortifying of sin, and quickening of grace; and by endeavoring to live by faith, to have our conversation in holiness and righteousness, as those that have therein given up their names to Christ; and to walk in brotherly love, as being baptized by the same Spirit into one body.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Why Baptist?

A Critical Evaluation of Paedobaptism

Contra the Covenant Argument for PaedoBaptism
John Owen on the Covenants

Diagram of the Historic Baptist view of the Covenants
From Peter Masters:
The Contrast of the Covenants 1(zipped MP3 file for Download 8.4MB)
The Contrast of the Covenants 2
(zipped MP3 file for Download 7.2MB)
The Contrast of the Covenants 3
(zipped MP3 file for Download 12.2MB)

1689, Chapter 29: Of Baptism

1._____ Baptism is an ordinance of the New Testament, ordained by Jesus Christ, to be unto the party baptized, a sign of his fellowship with him, in his death and resurrection; of his being engrafted into him; of remission of sins; and of giving up into God, through Jesus Christ, to live and walk in newness of life.
( Romans 6:3-5; Colossians 2;12; Galatians 3:27; Mark 1:4; Acts 22:16; Romans 6:4 )
2._____ Those who do actually profess repentance towards God, faith in, and obedience to, our Lord Jesus Christ, are the only proper subjects of this ordinance.
( Mark 16:16; Acts 8:36, 37; Acts 2:41; Acts 8:12; Acts 18:8 )

3._____The outward element to be used in this ordinance is water, wherein the party is to be baptized, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
( Matthew 28:19, 20; Acts 8:38 )

4._____Immersion, or dipping of the person in water, is necessary to the due administration of this ordinance. ( Matthew 3:16; John 3:23 )

The Baptist Catechism

Q. 100. What is Baptism?

A. Baptism is an holy ordinance, wherein the washing with water in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, signifies our ingrafting into Christ and partaking of the benefits of the covenant of grace, and our engagement to be the Lord's.
(Matt. 28:19; Rom. 6:3-5; Col. 2:12; Gal. 3:27)
Q. 101. To whom is Baptism to be administered?

A. Baptism is to be administered to all those who actually profess repentance towards God, faith in, and obedience to our Lord Jesus Christ; and to none other.
(Acts 2:38; Matt. 3:6; Mark 16:16; Acts 8:12,36; Acts 10:47,48)
Q. 102. Are the infants of such as are professing believers to be baptized?

A. The infants of such as are professing believers are not to be baptized; because there is neither command nor example in the Holy Scriptures, or certain consequence from them, to baptize such.
Q. 103. How is Baptism rightly administered?

A. Baptism is rightly administered by immersion, or dipping the whole body of the person in water, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
(Matt. 3:16; John 3:23; Acts 8:38,39)
Q. 104. What is the duty of those who are rightly baptized?

A. It is the duty of those who are rightly baptized to give up (join) themselves to some visible and orderly church of Jesus Christ, that they may walk in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
(Acts 2:46,47; Acts 9:26; 1 Peter 2:5; Heb. 10:25; Rom. 16:5)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DocNH

Feb 13, 2008
US
✟7,821.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
D

DominusIesus

The first place to start is to get a rubust understanding of baptism.

At creation we find three key ingredients; water, the Spirit of God and the word of God. At our new creation we find these same three ingredients, the water of baptism, the Spirit of God hovering over the waters and the creative word of God. In the sacrament of baptism the Word of God is united with Water by the Spirit and so just as at Creation, when Yahweh spoke, the heavens and earth were brought forth into being, so likewise at the New Creation, when Yaweh’s creative word sounds forth at baptism, faith is bought into being (created) in the young infant.

At creation Yahweh brought forth order out of chaos, so likewise we, through union with the death and resurrection of Christ, leave the old creation to become a part of the new creation, a member of Christ the new Israel, a part of true humanity. Our lives, once chaotic by sin are renewed by Yahweh’s creative word at baptism to become ordered and Spirit led, the torah written upon our hearts.

In our baptism Yahweh declares to you, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased” and to the World he declares, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased”. This is then a statement of our identity. Just as Jesus “was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead” (Romans 1:4) so when we are baptized into his resurrection we say with Jesus, “I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, ‘You are my Son; today I have begotten you’” (Psalm 2:7). Through our baptism “the Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:16, 17), we are assured that Yahweh is our Father and so address him appropriately.

The union of water, word and Spirit at baptism marks our departure from the old creation to the new and so acts as an eschatological sign of our new-exodus through the death and resurrection of Christ. Just as Israel passed through the waters of the Red Sea and escaped the bondage of Egypt, so we pass through the waters of baptism and are set free from the bondage of sin to new life, a more abundant life.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The first place to start is to get a rubust understanding of baptism.

At creation we find three key ingredients; water, the Spirit of God and the word of God. At our new creation we find these same three ingredients, the water of baptism, the Spirit of God hovering over the waters and the creative word of God. In the sacrament of baptism the Word of God is united with Water by the Spirit and so just as at Creation, when Yahweh spoke, the heavens and earth were brought forth into being, so likewise at the New Creation, when Yaweh’s creative word sounds forth at baptism, faith is bought into being (created) in the young infant.

At creation Yahweh brought forth order out of chaos, so likewise we, through union with the death and resurrection of Christ, leave the old creation to become a part of the new creation, a member of Christ the new Israel, a part of true humanity. Our lives, once chaotic by sin are renewed by Yahweh’s creative word at baptism to become ordered and Spirit led, the torah written upon our hearts.

In our baptism Yahweh declares to you, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased” and to the World he declares, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased”. This is then a statement of our identity. Just as Jesus “was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead” (Romans 1:4) so when we are baptized into his resurrection we say with Jesus, “I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, ‘You are my Son; today I have begotten you’” (Psalm 2:7). Through our baptism “the Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:16, 17), we are assured that Yahweh is our Father and so address him appropriately.

The union of water, word and Spirit at baptism marks our departure from the old creation to the new and so acts as an eschatological sign of our new-exodus through the death and resurrection of Christ. Just as Israel passed through the waters of the Red Sea and escaped the bondage of Egypt, so we pass through the waters of baptism and are set free from the bondage of sin to new life, a more abundant life.
This reads dangerously close to Baptismal Regeneration. I was unaware that it was a Church Of England teaching and it isn't typical of Calvinism that I know of.

Upvote 0
D

DominusIesus

This reads dangerously close to Baptismal Regeneration. I was unaware that it was a Church Of England teaching and it isn't typical of Calvinism that I know of.

It isn't baptismal regeneration. The Article of Religion:

Article XXV. Of the Sacraments.
SACRAMENTS ordained of Christ be not only badges or tokens of Christian men's profession, but rather they be certain sure witnesses and effectual signs of grace and God's good will towards us, by the which He doth work invisibly in us, and doth not only quicken, but also strengthen and confirm, our faith in Him.

Article XXVII. Of Baptism.
BAPTISM is not only a sign of profession and mark of difference whereby Christian men are discerned from other that be not christened, but is also a sign of regeneration or new birth, whereby, as by an instrument, they that receive baptism rightly are grafted into the Church; the promises of the forgiveness of sin, and of our adoption to be the sons of God, by the Holy Ghost are visibly signed and sealed; faith is confirmed, and grace increased by virtue of prayer unto God. The baptism of young children is in any wise to be retained in the Church as most agreeable with the institution of Christ.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Ron, it depends which Anglican you ask.

http://anglicanhistory.org/england/ccjwebb1928/05.html

"We praise you, most merciful Father, that all whom you receive and adopt as your own are spiritually regenerate and made true members of your church: grant that this child, being buried and raised with Christ, may have victory over sin, the world and the devil, that he may live a righteous life and that at the end he may inherit your eternal kingdom along with all your faithful people, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I find that it is rarely wise to read the works of naysayers to understand a position. To understand a position, one should read from those who hold, and can better defend the position.

Therefore, I have to cast another vote for Francis Schaeffer's paper titled, "Baptism."

http://www.spiritone.com/~wing/fs_bapt.htm

Just for the sake of full disclosure, I must "confess" that I remain a Reformed Baptist, but Mr. Schaeffer provides a reasonable argument from Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0