godshapedhole

Dec 19, 2015
Australia
✟7,724.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been reading the Bible a lot recently, the New Testament and Old. I really feel like parts of the Bible are speaking to me, and I want to incorporate teachings from the New Testament into my life not because I seek eternal life or am afraid of hell, but because I want to be a better, more compassionate human being.

I now sometimes find myself about to say or do something, then I remember a verse from, for example, the Sermon on the Mount, or the Book of James, I catch myself and stop. I don't make that sarcastic or snarky remark I was about to make, or I don't buy that thing I desire, but don't really need.

But I'm also a skeptic by nature. I can't literally believe in a virgin birth, miracles or the resurrection. I guess I'm a bit like Thomas, except that Thomas actually got the oppurtunity to see Jesus resurrected, complete with wounds. I could maybe believe these things as vague spiritual or allegorical truths, but certainly not as concrete historical facts.

I also have some serious problems with the God of the Old Testament. For example, Abraham sacrificing Isaac. Yes, we know God never wanted Isaac to die, but as I see it, Abraham was willing to kill his son out of obediance to God (I don't buy the grammatical arguments that Abraham knew Isaac wouldn't ultimately die - if Abraham knew that Isaac would be saved one way or another, it renders the test meaningless).

In my opinion, a person so obediant to God that they would carry out a command to kill their son is a worse person than one who stands up to God and says "I won't do it, your command is immoral". This, and countless other occasions in the Old Testament show to me a God who is not loving - no matter what interpretative gymnastics are performed to demonstrate otherwise.

Anyway, having said all this, I know some Christians might not be too impressed with me, but do you think it a good thing for me to try to live according to the moral teachings in the New Testament, even if my skeptical mind can't accept the supernatural elements, or if I can't accept all Christian teachings as one whole package, should I just dump the Bible and Christian teachings altogether?

Reactions: LionL

davidcrosby

Aug 7, 2016
US
✟15,828.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can either stand up for God or lay down for the devil.
But anyway, Jesus is the theme of the whole Bible. And what the Old Testaments concealed of its time, the New Testaments revealed. As you were talking about Abraham and Isaac... God is a God of reality "our Reality" and Abraham had that 4real relationship with God (which is what it's about—relationship not religion) so he obeyed God, and with that God told Abraham I will provide "Myself" as a sacrifice (concealed) referring to Jesus (revealed).

Anyway bro, we could go on and on, but you'll never really understand till you want God to have a relationship with you. He's with you now reading this and waiting. As far as those better more compassionate feelings your talking about... Rev 3:20 I stand at the door and knock.

And with answering the door comes "the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." (Joh 14:26)

1Cor 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (Bringing those things of the Old Testament to Light with understanding).

It's not about fact or feelings mate, God doesn't need to prove Himself, God is proof in Himself. What He doe's need though is your trusting faith... Faith holds the hand of God. And with it is a transforming Truth by sustaining grace that pervades our being with a passion of His presence. And it’s in that presence our character takes on a conforming shape the size of Christ’s heart.

You'll be alright bro, just keep on keeping on. Regardless, we can't get enough of the Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello GSH,

I've been reading the Bible a lot recently, the New Testament and Old. I really feel like parts of the Bible are speaking to me, and I want to incorporate teachings from the New Testament into my life not because I seek eternal life or am afraid of hell, but because I want to be a better, more compassionate human being.
I now sometimes find myself about to say or do something, then I remember a verse from, for example, the Sermon on the Mount, or the Book of James, I catch myself and stop. I don't make that sarcastic or snarky remark I was about to make, or I don't buy that thing I desire, but don't really need.
While it’s commendable for you to want to be more compassionate, I don’t think the Bible lends itself to being reduced to a manual on “how to be more compassionate.” It’s worldview implies that its contents aren’t for the sole purpose of becoming a more socially sensitive person, even though, of course, Jesus would like for all Christians to learn to be compassionate. Technically, you could learn to be compassionate from other sources apart from the Bible.

But I'm also a skeptic by nature. I can't literally believe in a virgin birth, miracles or the resurrection. I guess I'm a bit like Thomas, except that Thomas actually got the oppurtunity to see Jesus resurrected, complete with wounds. I could maybe believe these things as vague spiritual or allegorical truths, but certainly not as concrete historical facts.
I’m skeptical as well to some extent—by nature—but I don’t have too much problem believing in the Virgin Birth or the Resurrection. If you’re having problems with these biblical events, then I would suggest, as I have to others, that you self-check your own epistemological assumptions and/or your understanding of biblical hermeneutics and exegesis.

I also have some serious problems with the God of the Old Testament. For example, Abraham sacrificing Isaac. Yes, we know God never wanted Isaac to die, but as I see it, Abraham was willing to kill his son out of obediance to God (I don't buy the grammatical arguments that Abraham knew Isaac wouldn't ultimately die - if Abraham knew that Isaac would be saved one way or another, it renders the test meaningless).
If you read the various contexts of Genesis carefully, I think you’ll find that some of your grievances regarding Abraham's near sacrifice of Isaac can be cleared up; however, with that being said--you’ll also have to question the historical warp and woof of the social paradigm you’ve received by having been born and raised in a Post-Enlightement culture.

In my opinion, a person so obediant to God that they would carry out a command to kill their son is a worse person than one who stands up to God and says "I won't do it, your command is immoral". This, and countless other occasions in the Old Testament show to me a God who is not loving - no matter what interpretative gymnastics are performed to demonstrate otherwise.
Using the term “interpretive gymnastics” doesn’t really explain the justification of your own perceptions, thoughts, or the propriety of your own interpretive methods as they relate to the nature of justice and ethics (or love), and neither does it really reflect some kind of self-evident thought process by which we can all know exactly what justice should be. Moreover, I think your citation and censure of the God of the OT for His apparent moral misbehavior is inconsistent with your reading of the New Testament. If we pay attention to the details in the Bible, Jesus is represented as having said some “atrocious” things as well, things that line up very well with those things previously stated by “God” in the OT.

Anyway, having said all this, I know some Christians might not be too impressed with me, but do you think it a good thing for me to try to live according to the moral teachings in the New Testament, even if my skeptical mind can't accept the supernatural elements, or if I can't accept all Christian teachings as one whole package, should I just dump the Bible and Christian teachings altogether?
I wouldn’t say that what you’re endeavoring to do at the present moment is a bad or useless thing. Reading the Bible to learn simple points of compassion is one approach to the Bible among many that people could take, I suppose, but at the same time, it isn’t one that is consistent with the overall intent of the writers of the Bible.

Of course, I don’t recommend you “dump” the Bible either just because you have a difficult time believing it. A number of us who are presently Christian have to wrestle every day with our propensities toward unbelief, doubt, or even unfaithfulness, but we don't dump the Bible just because some aspects of it are difficult to deal with. What I do suggest is that you “dump” some of your current epistemological predilections and study epistemology at a deeper level, among other things.

I could go on about how you need to challenge and refine your own philosophical framework, but when all is said and done, the real essence of your “desire” to read the Bible will depend on whether or not this reflects the possibility that God/Jesus is calling you unto Himself … Maybe He is and you’re just bucking like a bronco! ;)

Peace

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When we read about something, we acquire knowledge. If we understand what we read we use say we "understand." How is it then that when a college graduate gets their first job, their boss tells them they understand nothing? (In practice it takes new graduates two years of full-time work in their field before they understand "anything.") While it is easy to say that they need to learn how to apply their knowledge in the real world, the fact is that no one understands anything in a deeper sense unless they can connect what they believe with experiences. A simpler example is how we understand the meaning of a word. If we aren't relying on other words to understand it, the only way we have to understand it is through labeling an experience (which includes seeing something).

I say all that to mean, that unless you do what God said to do, you will not really understand what you read. Put another (perhaps simpler) way, reading about being a civil engineer does not make you into a person that is like a person who has been a civil engineer.

This idea is from Scripture: Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death. (Hebrews 11:19, 1984 NIV)

There's a lot of people who don't believe in God, but believe life as described in the Bible is the best way to live. A good example is how we need to love our enemies. Returning violence for violence escalates violence in the hearts of those involved, not diminish it. It makes them angry and to want revenge.

You don't have to accept it all or dump it all, but you need to do what it says, otherwise all you have done is develop a personal philosophy (that you won't understand in a deeper sense).

Upvote 0

godshapedhole

Dec 19, 2015
Australia
✟7,724.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definitely take them to heart.

While it’s commendable for you to want to be more compassionate, I don’t think the Bible lends itself to being reduced to a manual on “how to be more compassionate.” It’s worldview implies that its contents aren’t for the sole purpose of becoming a more socially sensitive person, even though, of course, Jesus would like for all Christians to learn to be compassionate. Technically, you could learn to be compassionate from other sources apart from the Bible.

You're right, I could learn to be compassionate from books on Buddhism, and indeed I have, but I've felt a calling or yearning for some higher and stronger power, and I feel like it might be God, which is why I turned to the Bible.

Despite being such a skeptical person, and spending so much of my life an atheist, I really want to be a Christian, but a lifetime of atheism and skepticism makes the Bible a tough pill to swallow. I only hope God is patient with me, and forgiving when I throw my hands up in frustration and say "I can't believe!". In the words of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord";

I really want to see you,
I really want to be with you,
I really want to see you Lord,
But it takes so long, my Lord.

"I want to believe", as Mulder would say, but it's difficult. In Matthew 7:7-8 Jesus says everyone who asks shall receive, everyone who seeks shall find, and to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened, but I haven't found that to be true yet.

But maybe I'm being impatient. I do pray to God, I pray The Lord's Prayer, and I mean every word when I pray it, I pray "help me overcome my unbelief!", and I keep praying that God with soften my heart. But at the same time - I don't believe. There's a skeptic and and a believer residing inside me side by side. I won't give up on trying to believe (even though I sometimes tell myself I will), I just hope God sees that I'm trying my best, even if my best isn't that impressive.

Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definitely take them to heart.

You're right, I could learn to be compassionate from books on Buddhism, and indeed I have, but I've felt a calling or yearning for some higher and stronger power, and I feel like it might be God, which is why I turned to the Bible.

Despite being such a skeptical person, and spending so much of my life an atheist, I really want to be a Christian, but a lifetime of atheism and skepticism makes the Bible a tough pill to swallow. I only hope God is patient with me, and forgiving when I throw my hands up in frustration and say "I can't believe!". In the words of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord";

I really want to see you,
I really want to be with you,
I really want to see you Lord,
But it takes so long, my Lord.

"I want to believe", as Mulder would say, but it's difficult. In Matthew 7:7-8 Jesus says everyone who asks shall receive, everyone who seeks shall find, and to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened, but I haven't found that to be true yet.

But maybe I'm being impatient. I do pray to God, I pray The Lord's Prayer, and I mean every word when I pray it, I pray "help me overcome my unbelief!", and I keep praying that God with soften my heart. But at the same time - I don't believe. There's a skeptic and and a believer residing inside me side by side. I won't give up on trying to believe (even though I sometimes tell myself I will), I just hope God sees that I'm trying my best, even if my best isn't that impressive.

I understand what you're saying in all of this. And I wish you the best and God's blessing as you move into the future ... As that other former Beatle, Ringo Starr, would have said, "It don't come easy." :cool:

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Abraham was willing to kill his son out of obediance to God

I have found it really pays not to give up when Scripture presents an interpretive or moral problem. It may take time, but the answer will come.

Abraham did not exist in a vacuum. All around him, SOP was to sacrifice children to the gods for prosperity's sake. So the idea of sacrificing Isaac wasn't unthinkable as it would be to us.

Abraham had had a difficult discipleship. His course was a brutal learn as you go, and was fraught with some very costly and dangerous mistakes. Maybe because of this he had learned not to trust his own logic, but to trust in the Lord without reservation or hesitation. And now, with Isaac, Abraham was finally giving his dissertation. Even if Abraham did believe God would raise Isaac, he still would have to first kill him, and that is still a heck of a test. i don't believe you can say the test was rendered invalid because of A's faith.

Back to my capital point. I think if you hold Heb 11.6 as your guiding principle, you will do well. Two things are required in order to progress in faith; belief that God is sovereign, and that He is good. Power and character. Our moral sense is but a reflection of His nature, and flawed, most often by the fact that we can't see the whole picture. And God requires that we exercise faith in order to grow, because it draws us into relationship with Him, as it ought to be. That is not to say there aren't solid answers to our questions and predicaments, but often there will be a season in which we must simply trust as the answer unfolds.

Don't worry too much about the allegory thing. The church spent a few hundred years camped out in allegory la-la land, but eventually got over it. Be like the noble-minded Bereans of Acts 17, and search the Scriptures to see if things are so.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

bookofjade

Aug 7, 2016
Old Melbourne
✟7,922.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private

Prophets, apostles and disciples only saw through a glass darkly.

1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is also, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:13, 1984 NIV)

People that want to believe but just don't are not far from the kingdom of God. One of two things will happen: either (1) God will slowly increase your faith in the evidence to the point where it is not unreasonable for you to take a risk and commit to him—but you will still need to choose, or (2) you won't notice your faith increasing, but you will get to the point where you just need to make a decision. The problem is that lots of people are already in the (2) situation, but are waiting for more reasons to commit. Try to recognize how much a hindrance it is that you just don't want to change your lifestyle (which is something that is more gut-motivated than logical). This is the biggest hurdle for a lot of people.

To be honest, the best thing you can do short of making a commitment is to start obeying his commands (and keep reading Scripture). For some people this is not so difficult, because they don't have much trouble believing that what they see in the Bible is a good/moral way to live. God will use any and all effort to be obedient to him to increase a person's faith that he is who he said he was in the Bible. How long it takes can vary a lot. But what can also happen is that the longer you wait, the harder the choice will become. Instead of reading Scripture and just recognizing ways in which it can't be true, try to understand how it could be true.

Attending a church is also an avenue that God uses to reveal himself to people over time. (There's no need to continue to go to a church you don't like these days.)

There's a concept from Scripture that I will relay: Don't wait too long; no one knows if they will even be alive tomorrow. What would you do if this was your last day of life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's probably not a bad idea. A lot of people back in the first century claimed to be eyewitnesses to all those things, the miracles and resurrections and stuff, and they were fed to lions because they refused to change their testimony.

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
they were fed to lions because they refused to change their testimony.
Yeah, there's a big difference between people that believe in God and those that have experienced God. Scripture is not a record of what people believed. It is a record of what people experienced.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

GOD used Abraham in service to us. Abraham heard the voice of GOD: he knew Gods Voice. When GOD called Abraham to sacrifice his son, the promised seed through whom Abraham would be the "father of many nations" GOD, knowing our limited humanity, that we ever and always need signs and representations and visuals to understand all His higher and hidden spiritual truths, provided us with a visual sign speaking and pointing us to CHRIST

Abraham did not fully understand what he was called to do them but he does now

And that visual reenactment of a sacrifice of the son through whom all Gods promises to Abraham would come was simply pointing to and prophecying of THE SACRIFICE OF THE PROMISED SON spoken of from the beginning

Isaac was simply a shadow and prefigure of THE SON

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Anyway, having said all this, I know some Christians might not be too impressed with me, but do you think it a good thing for me to try to live according to the moral teachings in the New Testament, even if my skeptical mind can't accept the supernatural elements, or if I can't accept all Christian teachings as one whole package, should I just dump the Bible and Christian teachings altogether?[/QUOTE\

You are being very open to say what you have. I want to respond to you in a sensitive way, and I hope to give you a outlook to see things and a door to perhaps open.

I encourage you to continue reading the New Testament, you might like to start in the book of Mark, as most biblical scholars believe that was the first Gospel written, then John. Mathew and Luke are both Gospels that start with the genealogy of Jesus, showing the family trees of Mary and Joseph. So I would encourage you to read the words of Jesus Christ and His teachings. If you are so inclined along your readings speak out to Jesus and say if you are truly who this book says your make yourself known to me. That seems to me pretty point blank to me, and you just might find what your looking for.

I have known a few who found out what they wanted to know by doing just as you are. I would be happy to answer any questions you might encounter as you read. As a side note I hope you are reading a more up to date Bible that say the King James, as it is more difficult to understand. Here a few Translations of the Bible I have and can honestly recommend; The HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible, I use this much of the time), the NASB (New American Standard Bible I use this often), and the ESV (English Standard Bible) and some reluctant the NIV (New International Version) These are the ones I think are the cream of the crop, that are more accurate and easy to comprehend.

I hope this helps in some way, as you journey in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

godshapedhole

Dec 19, 2015
Australia
✟7,724.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Celibate
I read from the NIV or the ESV. I have a King James Bible, but I only read it if I feel like hearing a specific portion of the Bible in that particularly nice Old English poetic style, but yes, it's not great for modern understanding.

When I read the Gospels I will ask Jesus if he will let himself be known to me, to answer my knock at the door, and in my prayers I will ask for the same thing.

Even if I may be lacking in faith in many elements of Christianity at the moment, I think I can at least stretch myself to have faith that one day I will have faith - if that makes sense. In other words I feel like I'm a long way off, but still believe I can make it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read from the NIV or the ESV. I have a King James Bible, but I only read it if I feel like hearing a specific portion of the Bible in that particularly nice Old English poetic style, but yes, it's not great for modern understanding.

When I read the Gospels I will ask Jesus if he will let himself be known to me, to answer my knock at the door, and in my prayers I will ask for the same thing.

Even if I may be lacking in faith in many elements of Christianity at the moment, I think I can at least stretch myself to have faith that one day I will have faith - if that makes sense. In other words I feel like I'm a long way off, but still believe I can make it.
Faith the size of a mustard seed directed in and on HIM is faith

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I'd rather live next to a decent unbeliever than an indecent unbeliever. More people should live by what the New Testament says to do, but that is only a small part of it. By not believing in the virgin birth, miracles, resurrection, the Holy Spirit, being born again into the new life that is here now but will fully be here when Christ returns - you're missing the really good stuff.

To your objections, I believe that if God wasn't loving, we wouldn't be here now, the planet would be unable to sustain life, at least as we know it. By this, he demonstrates more true mercy than any person would be capable of, all things considered.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In my opinion, a person so obediant to God that they would carry out a command to kill their son is a worse person than one who stands up to God and says "I won't do it, your command is immoral".
I'd like to offer some explanation to help you with this.

Judaism (which Christianity fulfills), is all about God's promise to us because of the faith that Abraham had. This faith does require us to trust Him more than our own wisdom, which of course is proper and right, if we have recognised Him correctly. Abraham lived with that type of faith, such that God was his friend.

Remember too, that Sarah was already 90 before conceiving Isaac, so it's not as though Abraham was being irrational. He had already witnessed God's power to do the impossible.

We clearly see that this was a test for Abraham, mainly being a test of loyalty - would he obey God at all costs, despite the greatest possible temptation and doubt? .. You have said that owing to your present state of faith, you would choose differently than he did. Actually, that is the most normal position in the present age! Probably, due to the character of Jesus that has remained with us through the scriptures, (Abraham did not have this), plus resulting from a recent majority of Holy Spirit in Western culture, human rights values led to an essentially more egalitarian society, that produced you and me!

Anyhow, we should not be judging Abraham for his failure to recognise the true heart of The Father. Afterall, he was greatly exalted! God alone is holy, and He reproves those for whom He has affection. (Imagine how this must have impacted Abraham and Isaac's view of Him and each other!). Rather, Abraham's was the type of faith, elected for our example, that God desires.

Jesus said "whoever loves their mother, father, son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me". It is our lack of faith that really restricts His ability to work through us. Hebrews 10:38-39 shows that Christian disciples give God a great amount of joy when they live by faith!

.. So keep at it! You already are on the right path, to be only accepting beliefs that you can comfortably state as honest truth, wholeheartedly. Conversely, beware of dismissing beliefs that are true because they make you uncomfortable.

If you continue this path, you are going toward the crucial key to your faith: the faulty belief. Ask, seek, knock. Test all things and hold fast the good.

Keep in mind too, that He is always watching you in your journey, because it is the quality of your heart that really matters.

Upvote 0