LDS What other words does the BOM use in the BC era which are out of place?

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Enos 1:27 "... And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality" ... "there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen."

Allegedly written between BC 544 and 421.

I say it plagiarizes Paul and Jesus. Anachronism. Fraud.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're relying on the 1826 bit?

Mormon/LDS Answers: Questions about LDS Prophets and the Mormons

(note: long)

What took place was a pre-trial hearing. There's no evidence to indicate that it went any further.

edit -

Did you check any apologetic sites for information on this before posting?

I ask as this information is from what I've seen pretty widely known. Full-length debunkings date back to at least 2002, if not earlier. Even a surface examination should have shown this.

Try again, JS was convicted and fined.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No he wasn't, the trial papers and documents they have are phony, even has him witnessing against himself. It was a Justice of the Peace court and there is no jury etc. He was charged and saw a judge but apparently it was dismissed because there was no follow up trial.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He claims to have seen the face of God when no man can see Him and live. Moses saw God the Son, Jesus--not God the Father. JS says it was God the Father he saw.

1 Timothy 6:16 Good News Translation (GNT)
16 He alone is immortal; he lives in the light that no one can approach. No one has ever seen him; no one can ever see him. To him be honor and eternal power! Amen.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Timothy 6:16 Good News Translation (GNT)
16 He alone is immortal; he lives in the light that no one can approach. No one has ever seen him; no one can ever see him. To him be honor and eternal power! Amen.

Rev
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; .....

how is that going to happen if ya cant see him?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did you read the material at the link?

No because I read the court testimonies below,

"
State of New York v. Joseph Smith.

Warrant issued upon written complaint upon oath of Peter G. Bridgeman, who informed that one Joseph Smith of Bainbridge was a disorderly person and an impostor.

Prisoner brought before Court March 20, 1826. Prisoner examined: says that he came from the town of Palmyra, and had been at the house of Josiah Stowel in Bainbridge most of time since; had small part of time been employed in looking for mines, but the major part had been employed by said Stowel on his farm, and going to school. That he had a certain stone which he had occasionally looked at to determine where hidden treasures in the bowels of the earth were; that he professed to tell in this manner where gold mines were a distance under ground, and had looked for Mr. Stowel several times, and had informed him where he could find these treasures, and Mr. Stowel had been engaged in digging for them. That at Palmyra he pretended to tell by looking at this stone where coined money was buried in Pennsylvania, and while at Palmyra had frequently ascertained in that way where lost property was of various kinds; that he had occasionally been in the habit of looking through this stone to find lost property for three years, but of late had pretty much given it up on account of its injuring his health, especially his eyes, making them sore; that he did not solicit business of this kind, and had always rather declined having anything to do with this business.

Josiah Stowel sworn: says that prisoner had been at his house something like five months; had been employed by him to work on farm part of time; that he pretended to have skill of telling where hidden treasures in the earth were by means of looking through a certain stone; that prisoner had looked for him sometimes; once to tell him about money buried in Bend Mountain in Pennsylvania, once for gold on Monument Hill, and once for a salt spring; and that he positively knew that the prisoner could tell, and did 'possess the art of seeing those valuable treasures through the medium of said stone; that he found the [word illegible] at Bend and Monument Hill as prisoner represented it; that prisoner had looked through said stone for Deacon Attleton for a mine, did not exactly find it, but got a p— [word unfinished] of ore which resembled gold, he thinks; that prisoner had told by means of this stone where a Mr. Bacon had buried money; that he and prisoner had been in search of it; that prisoner had said it was in a certain root of a stump five feet from surface of the earth, and with it would be found a tail feather; that said Stowel and prisoner thereupon commenced digging, found a tail feather, but money was gone; that he supposed the money moved down. That prisoner did offer his services; that he never deceived him; that prisoner looked through stone and described Josiah Stowel's house and outhouses, while at Palmyra at Simpson Stowel's, correctly; that he had told about a painted tree, with a man's head painted upon it, by means of said stone. That he had been in company with prisoner digging for gold, and had the most implicit faith in prisoner's skill.

Arad Stowel sworn: says that he went to see whether prisoner could convince him that he possessed the skill he professed to have, upon which prisoner laid a book upon a white cloth, and proposed looking through another stone which was white and transparent, hold the stone to the candle, turn his head to book, and read. The deception appeared so palpable that witness went off disgusted.

McMaster sworn: says he went with Arad Stowel, and likewise came away disgusted. Prisoner pretended to him that he could discover objects at a distance by holding this white stone to the sun or candle; that prisoner rather declined looking into a hat at his dark coloured stone, as he said that it hurt his eyes.

Jonathan Thompson says that prisoner was requested to look for chest of money; did look, and pretended to know there it was; and that prisoner, Thompson, and Yeomans went in search of it; that Smith arrived at spot first; was at night; that Smith looked in hat while there, and when very dark, told how the chest was situated. After digging several feet, struck upon something sounding like a board or plank. Prisoner would not look again, pretending that he was alarmed on account of the circumstances relating to the trunk being buried, [which] came all fresh to his mind. That the last time he looked he discovered distinctly the two Indians who buried the trunk, that a quarrel ensued between them, and that one of said Indians was killed by the other, and thrown into the hole beside the trunk, to guard it, as he supposed. Thompson says that he believes in the prisoner's professed skill; that the board which he struck his spade upon was probably the chest, but on account of an enchantment the trunk kept settling away from under them when digging, that notwithstanding they continued constantly removing the dirt, yet the trunk kept about the same distance from them. Says prisoner said that it appeared to him that salt might be found at Bainbridge, and that he is certain that prisoner can divine things by means of said stone. That as evidence of the fact prisoner looked into his hat to tell him about some money witness lost sixteen years ago, and that he described the man that witness supposed had taken it, and the disposition of the money:

And therefore the Court find the Defendant guilty. Costs: Warrant, 19c. Complaint upon oath, 25 1/2c. Seven witnesses, 87 1/2c. Recognisances, 25c. Mittimus, 19c. Recognisances of witnesses, 75c. Subpoena, 18c. - $2.68.

Joseph Smith's own mother wrote that "a man, by the name of Josiah Stoal, came from Chenango county, New York, with the view of getting Joseph to assist him in digging for a silver mine. He came for Joseph on account of having heard that he possessed certain keys, by which he could discern things invisible to the natural eye." (Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith The Prophet..., by Lucy Smith, 1853, pages 91-92)

As early as 1831, A. W. Benton wrote concerning Joseph Smith's encounter with the law in Bainbridge:

"For several years preceding the appearance of his book [the Book of Mormon], he was about the country in the character of a glass-looker: pretending, by means of a certain stone, or glass, which he put in a hat, to be able to discover lost goods, hidden treasures, mines of gold and silver. &c.... In this town, a wealthy farmer, named Josiah Stowell, together with others, spent large sums of money in digging for hidden money, which this Smith pretended he could see, and told them where to dig; but they never found their treasure. At length the public, becoming wearied with the base imposition which he was palming upon the credulity of the ignorant, for the purpose of sponging his living from their earnings, had him arrested as a disorderly person, tried and condemned before a court of Justice." (Evangelical Magazine and Gospel Advocate, April 9, 1831, page 120)

It is interesting to note that Joseph Smith's own diary refers to an examination in Nauvoo, Illinois, as a "trial" in which the defendant was found "guilty": "Monday Dec[ember] 18[th]... Constable Follet returned with Elliot. Trial in the Assembly room for examination... [Elliot was] found guilty of Kidnapping and bound over for trial to the Circuit Court in the sum of $3,000." (An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith, Edited by Scott H. Faulting, 1987, pages 432-33)

David Whitmer, one of the three witnesses to the Book of Mormon, stated: "I will now give you a description of the manner in which the Book of Mormon was translated, Joseph would put the seer stone into a hat, and put his face in the hat, drawing it closely around his face to exclude the light; and in the darkness the spiritual light would shine. A piece of something resembling parchment would appear, and on that appeared the writing.... Thus the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God, and not by any power of man." (An Address All Believers In Christ, Richmond, Missouri, 1887, page 12)

Although Mormon historian B. H. Roberts claimed that Joseph Smith used the Urim and Thummim, he frankly admitted that he sometimes used a "Seer Stone" to translate the plates: "The Seer Stone referred to here was a chocolate-colored, somewhat egg-shaped stone which the Prophet found while digging a well in company with his brother Hyrum,... It possessed the qualities of Urim and Thummim, since by means of it — as described above — as well by means of the Interpreters found with the Nephite record, Joseph was able to translate the characters engraven on the plates." (Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 1, page 129)
"Issue 68 - Salt Lake City Messenger

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

"
While the Kinderhook plates have often been put forth as evidence for Joseph Smith's claims concerning the Book of Mormon, there is another side to the story. Evidence now shows that the Kinderhook plates were actually modern forgeries created specifically for the purpose of entrapping Joseph Smith.

Joseph Smith accepted these plates as authentic and even claimed that he had translated a portion of them. The evidence comes from the diary of William Clayton, Joseph Smith's private secretary."Joseph Smith and the Kinderhook Plates Tract

search on forgeries Utah Lighthouse Ministry: Online Resources

"Fortunately, there are a large number of Mormon scholars who are not so bias in their views. Dean Jessee, who is considered one of the Mormon Church's top scholars on the writings of Joseph Smith, openly condemned the Jackson document as a forgery. Speaking at the Brigham Young University Symposium on "Church History and Recent Forgeries," held August 6, 1987, he commented: "In one instance an advocate actually perpetrated a crude forgery of his own, changing Joseph Smith's name to Josiah Stowell on a document that charged Joseph with glass looking in 1826.""Issue 68 - Salt Lake City Messenger

search on forger Utah Lighthouse Ministry: What's New

"Hofmann made nearly 1 million dollars in forged documents, claiming that he “discovered” document after document and selling them to the church from 1980-1985. Hofmann’s schemes eventually spiraled out of control, and he murdered two historians in an effort to maintain his deception. LDS prophets, seers, and revelators were unable to see and discern that they were in the same room as liar, forger, and soon to be murderer. His lies were only discovered by two notoriously anti-Mormon historians, Gerald and Sandra Tanner, who realized that the documents could not be genuine. Many experts believe there are more documents yet to be discovered as fake creations of Mark Hofmann."Mark Hofmann Fools the Prophets – LostMormonism.com

Acts 5:3
Peter said to him, “Ananias, why did you let Satan take control of you and make you lie to the Holy Spirit by keeping part of the money you received for the property?

There is a spiritual gift of discernment and you would think a room full of LDS leaders would have it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is this a true statement?

"Steve Christensen and Kathy Sheets were Hofmann's most tragic victims. But Hofmann also had three other financial victims: the LDS Church, which owns 446 Hofmann forgeries and whose history was challenged by some of Hofmann's more damaging distortions; coin and document dealer Al Rust; and Provo document collector Brent Ashworth."Tales of Hofmann: Forgeries, deceit continue to intrigue 20 years later

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rev
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

That is easy, JS, you and me are mortals at this time. In heaven, we all will be changed, see I Cor 15

Now that we visited a few side tracks, lets get back on topic.

Thanks,
Daniel

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Rev

We will be in our new, glorified, immortal bodies then---mortal man can not see Him and live. Just as stated above. If JS saw anything, it was not of God.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Read the material I linked you to.

If you want us to read your material, then it's only fair you read what we put up.

Your right, so I just did. I still think the testimony I posted has more weight.

"Anti-Mormon critics such as the Tanners, in their attempts to make Joseph look bad, also claim that Joseph took "leg bail" from the trial, saying that he was allowed to escape with the promise that he would stay out of town."

It was Justice Noble who made that claim, not the Tanners as one can see for themselves in these two pdf files.
http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/pdfnewsletters/68saltlakecitymessenger.pdf
LDS - What other words does the BOM use in the BC era which are out of place?

From the false claims made about the Smithsonian Statement on the BOM, I do not see the sources used in that article you post a link to as reliable. I emailed the Smithsonian concerning the BOM Statement and they still stand by it which I posted elsewhere on this forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Early Mormonism and the magic ...
Book by D. Michael Quinn

"
In this ground-breaking book, D. Michael Quinn masterfully reconstructs an earlier age, finding ample evidence for folk magic in nineteenth-century New England, as he does in Mormon founder Joseph Smith’s upbringing. Quinn discovers that Smith’s world was inhabited by supernatural creatures whose existence could be both symbolic and real. He explains that the Smith family’s treasure digging was not unusual for the times and is vital to understanding how early Mormons interpreted developments in their history in ways that differ from modern perceptions. Quinn’s impressive research provides a much-needed background for the environment that produced Mormonism.

This thoroughly researched examination into occult traditions surrounding Smith, his family, and other founding Mormons cannot be understated. Among the practices no longer a part of Mormonism are the use of divining rods for revelation, astrology to determine the best times to conceive children and plant crops, the study of skull contours to understand personality traits, magic formulae utilized to discover lost property, and the wearing of protective talismans. Ninety-four photographs and illustrations accompany the text.

D. Michael Quinn (Ph.D., history, Yale University) is an Affiliated Scholar at the University of Southern California’s Center for Feminist Research. He has been a full-time researcher and writer, a professor of history at Brigham Young University, and a visiting professor of history (2002-03) at Yale. His accolades include Best Book awards from the American Historical Association and the Mormon History Association."Early Mormonism and the Magic World View - Signature Books

jupiter-talisman.jpg

"Joseph Smith owned this Jupiter talisman which was among his most intimate possessions according to Emma Smith. This talisman demonstrates Joseph’s fascination with magic. The purpose of such a talisman was to help the owner have influence over others, become rich and powerful, and find peace. The inscription on the talisman comes directly from “The Magus” which was a magical book by Francis Barrett published in 1801. According to subsequent owners of the talisman, Joseph had this talisman in his possession when he was killed at Carthage. The Jupiter talisman is now in the possession of a private collector and no other photographs are available."Magic – LostMormonism.com

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"In the neighborhood of Palmyra, the most notable seer was Sally Chase, who reportedly had a stonethat allowed her to see hidden objects. Joseph Smith Jr. visited Sally and asked to look into her stone. When Joseph put her stone in a hat and gazed into it, he claimed that he was able to see a white stone “a hundred and fifty miles away buried under a tree” and knew that this white stone was his own seer stone. Practitioners of folk magic, such as Joseph and his family, believed that “that there is a [seer] stone of this quality, somewhere, for every one.” When he dug the white stone up, it became Joseph’s first seer stone and would have been used for Joseph’s earliest treasure hunting days Joseph then used this white seer stone to locate the famous brown seer stone used to translate the Book of Mormon. After completion of the Book of Mormon, Joseph gave his brown seer stone to Oliver Cowdery, and he began to use this white seer stone again, specifically for translation of the papyrus that would become the Book of Abraham. Eyewitness accounts state that this looks like a baby’s foot, wider on one side than the other. The stone is in the LDS Church’s possession in Utah but the Church has never made images of the stone publicly available."Joseph’s First Seer Stone – LostMormonism.com

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
"In the neighborhood of Palmyra, the most notable seer was Sally Chase, who reportedly had a stonethat allowed her to see hidden objects. Joseph Smith Jr. visited Sally and asked to look into her stone. When Joseph put her stone in a hat and gazed into it, he claimed that he was able to see a white stone “a hundred and fifty miles away buried under a tree” and knew that this white stone was his own seer stone. Practitioners of folk magic, such as Joseph and his family, believed that “that there is a [seer] stone of this quality, somewhere, for every one.” When he dug the white stone up, it became Joseph’s first seer stone and would have been used for Joseph’s earliest treasure hunting days Joseph then used this white seer stone to locate the famous brown seer stone used to translate the Book of Mormon. After completion of the Book of Mormon, Joseph gave his brown seer stone to Oliver Cowdery, and he began to use this white seer stone again, specifically for translation of the papyrus that would become the Book of Abraham. Eyewitness accounts state that this looks like a baby’s foot, wider on one side than the other. The stone is in the LDS Church’s possession in Utah but the Church has never made images of the stone publicly available."Joseph’s First Seer Stone – LostMormonism.com

Satan's own little interpretation of the stones used in the Urim and Thummim. Which were only yes and no answers.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Daniel Marsh how do you account for the fact that Joseph Smith was able to transcribe large segments of the Bible with no reference material while he was looking at a stone in a hat? By the way the Urim and Thummin were used when Joseph Smith started translating. The Book of Lehi comes to mind.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No because I read the court testimonies below,

"
State of New York v. Joseph Smith.

Warrant issued upon written complaint upon oath of Peter G. Bridgeman, who informed that one Joseph Smith of Bainbridge was a disorderly person and an impostor.

Prisoner brought before Court March 20, 1826. Prisoner examined: says that he came from the town of Palmyra, and had been at the house of Josiah Stowel in Bainbridge most of time since; had small part of time been employed in looking for mines, but the major part had been employed by said Stowel on his farm, and going to school. That he had a certain stone which he had occasionally looked at to determine where hidden treasures in the bowels of the earth were; that he professed to tell in this manner where gold mines were a distance under ground, and had looked for Mr. Stowel several times, and had informed him where he could find these treasures, and Mr. Stowel had been engaged in digging for them. That at Palmyra he pretended to tell by looking at this stone where coined money was buried in Pennsylvania, and while at Palmyra had frequently ascertained in that way where lost property was of various kinds; that he had occasionally been in the habit of looking through this stone to find lost property for three years, but of late had pretty much given it up on account of its injuring his health, especially his eyes, making them sore; that he did not solicit business of this kind, and had always rather declined having anything to do with this business.

Josiah Stowel sworn: says that prisoner had been at his house something like five months; had been employed by him to work on farm part of time; that he pretended to have skill of telling where hidden treasures in the earth were by means of looking through a certain stone; that prisoner had looked for him sometimes; once to tell him about money buried in Bend Mountain in Pennsylvania, once for gold on Monument Hill, and once for a salt spring; and that he positively knew that the prisoner could tell, and did 'possess the art of seeing those valuable treasures through the medium of said stone; that he found the [word illegible] at Bend and Monument Hill as prisoner represented it; that prisoner had looked through said stone for Deacon Attleton for a mine, did not exactly find it, but got a p— [word unfinished] of ore which resembled gold, he thinks; that prisoner had told by means of this stone where a Mr. Bacon had buried money; that he and prisoner had been in search of it; that prisoner had said it was in a certain root of a stump five feet from surface of the earth, and with it would be found a tail feather; that said Stowel and prisoner thereupon commenced digging, found a tail feather, but money was gone; that he supposed the money moved down. That prisoner did offer his services; that he never deceived him; that prisoner looked through stone and described Josiah Stowel's house and outhouses, while at Palmyra at Simpson Stowel's, correctly; that he had told about a painted tree, with a man's head painted upon it, by means of said stone. That he had been in company with prisoner digging for gold, and had the most implicit faith in prisoner's skill.

Arad Stowel sworn: says that he went to see whether prisoner could convince him that he possessed the skill he professed to have, upon which prisoner laid a book upon a white cloth, and proposed looking through another stone which was white and transparent, hold the stone to the candle, turn his head to book, and read. The deception appeared so palpable that witness went off disgusted.

McMaster sworn: says he went with Arad Stowel, and likewise came away disgusted. Prisoner pretended to him that he could discover objects at a distance by holding this white stone to the sun or candle; that prisoner rather declined looking into a hat at his dark coloured stone, as he said that it hurt his eyes.

Jonathan Thompson says that prisoner was requested to look for chest of money; did look, and pretended to know there it was; and that prisoner, Thompson, and Yeomans went in search of it; that Smith arrived at spot first; was at night; that Smith looked in hat while there, and when very dark, told how the chest was situated. After digging several feet, struck upon something sounding like a board or plank. Prisoner would not look again, pretending that he was alarmed on account of the circumstances relating to the trunk being buried, [which] came all fresh to his mind. That the last time he looked he discovered distinctly the two Indians who buried the trunk, that a quarrel ensued between them, and that one of said Indians was killed by the other, and thrown into the hole beside the trunk, to guard it, as he supposed. Thompson says that he believes in the prisoner's professed skill; that the board which he struck his spade upon was probably the chest, but on account of an enchantment the trunk kept settling away from under them when digging, that notwithstanding they continued constantly removing the dirt, yet the trunk kept about the same distance from them. Says prisoner said that it appeared to him that salt might be found at Bainbridge, and that he is certain that prisoner can divine things by means of said stone. That as evidence of the fact prisoner looked into his hat to tell him about some money witness lost sixteen years ago, and that he described the man that witness supposed had taken it, and the disposition of the money:

And therefore the Court find the Defendant guilty. Costs: Warrant, 19c. Complaint upon oath, 25 1/2c. Seven witnesses, 87 1/2c. Recognisances, 25c. Mittimus, 19c. Recognisances of witnesses, 75c. Subpoena, 18c. - $2.68.

This trial was first published it in 1872, 46 years after the fact and then the original was conveniently lost.

Found this in the Joseph Smith papers;
"....Emily Pearsall, (the niece of the judge) who served as a Methodist missionary in Utah in the early 1870s. At some point, Pearsall reportedly “tore the leaves” pertaining to the case “out of the record.” In 1872, British journalist Charles Marshall visited Utah, where Pearsall permitted him to copy the “original papers” of Neely’s “judicial proceedings,” which he published in Fraser’s Magazine in England."

It was reprint several other times.

You have to get use to the idea that people lied about what Joseph Smith did and didn't do even those who called themselves Christian. Please note this is not a word for word transcript but someone's note about the count hearing.

Josiah Stowel was suppose to be the aggrieved party yet it is his nephews bringing the complaint. Josiah loved Joseph Smith, he was baptized into the Church and remained a good member his whole life. In this transcript says "he positively knew that the prisoner could tell, and did 'possess the art of seeing those valuable treasures through the medium of said stone..." Why?

Well the story is that Stowel had heard Joseph could find things and so he traveled to Palmyra to ask him. Joseph looked in his seer stone and described Stowel's home, a place he had never been. I hate to use the comparison but similar to how Jesus described Nathanael sitting under the fig tree. However is this story true, we don't know because there are some glaring falsehoods.

Prisoner examined: says that he came from the town of Palmyra,...That at Palmyra he pretended to tell by looking at this stone where coined money

See they have Joseph testifying against himself.

Now compare the Thompson story
"Jonathan Thompson says that prisoner was requested to look for chest of money;..Indians was killed by the other, and thrown into the hole beside the trunk, to guard it, ....but on account of an enchantment the trunk kept settling away from under them when digging, "

To an affidavit by WILLIAM STAFFORD in 1833;

"... that he could also discover the spirits in whose charge these treasures were, clothed in ancient dress......that he saw the spirit come up to the ring and as soon as it beheld the cone which we had formed around the rod, it caused the money to sink... "

Whoever wrote this up had a copy of Hurlbut Affidavits found in the first anti Mormon book called Mormonism Unvailed. He has rearranged the story and changed the wording to fit into this narrative.

The other problem is Joseph went to Stowel's home to dig for a silver mine not chest of money.

In Stowel's supposed testimony he says "once to tell him about money buried in Bend Mountain in Pennsylvania, once for gold on Monument Hill". As near as I can figure he is referring to a hill in Pennsylvania which was originally called Hog-Back- Hill, (1786). Then a Seminary was built on top of the the hill and it was renamed Seminary Hill. This burned down and then after the Civil War a large monument was built to honor the thousands of men who died in that war, that is when it was renamed Monument Hill.

Do you see the problem? This phony document was supposedly written in 1826 but the hill didn't get its name until after 1865. There are other hills which have monuments on them but they all seem to date back to the Civil War.

journals.psu.edu/wph/article/viewFile/3067/2898

Last edited:
Upvote 0