What makes someone a patriot?

Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Is Obama not for legalized abortion?
What one cant be a patriot if one is pro choice?

patriot - a person devoted to the interests of their country. A patriot is also one who defends individual rights against presumed interference of their government.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A patriot is someone who loves their country and practices responsible civic virtues.

... In the most general sense it is love of one's own nation and a sort of loyalty for it, a willing attitude to fight for it when necessary (whether the fight is a peaceful struggle or sometimes even a war). I can even see a pacifist as having the ability to be a patriot if they'll struggle for their country.

It is not even about viewing your country as the best and one who does not have room for improvement but rather retaining a certain loyalty to it and trying to help your nation's peoples.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A patriot believes in Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Others in this thread would like to deny Americans essential liberties. They are not patriots in any sense of the word.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Bravo! :D

Upvote 0

ParsonJefferson

just LOVES the flagrantly biased moderating here
Mar 14, 2006
✟12,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whether or not obama is pro choice was irrelevent to the question if one could be pro choice and a patriot. But glad to see the reasonable answer.
What one person considers a patriot, the next person considers a traitor - something that is obvious from this thread.

It's also obvious that a person can think or feel that they are patriotic, when indeed they may not be. Accurate self-perception can be a very tricky thing.

In addition, when somebody asks if a Presidential candidate is pro-choice, it's pretty stupid to shoot off an answer like, "What? You're claiming he's not patriotic?!?!?!" instead of just answering the simple question that was asked.

I believe Obama's (apparent) pro-choice stance is wrong. But I don't think his patriotism (however it's defined) is connected to that.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, have to agree there. It wasn't asked if obama was pro choice and in fact there is a tacit admission it was known he was pro choice by saying he is for legalized abortion.
At least he is not on Shield of Faith's side regarding this issue. One can be pro-choice and still be a patriot.

Upvote 0

Daniel19

Oct 9, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's a lot of talk of patriots being defenders of liberty and standing up against corruption here. How dare you un-American scum.

Patriots hate freedom and love slavery. They never question authority. They proudly use the Bill of Rights as toilet paper.

The greatest form of patriotism is never questioning your government!

Bow down and lick the hand that feeds you. Love big brother, big brother loves you. Submit to him. We watch you because we love you. The government is your friend. History is never filled with accounts of wicked governments oppressing their people, only loving governments caringly aiding its slaves.

Those are love chains caressing your ankles and wrists.

Sarcasm

Upvote 0

ParsonJefferson

Mar 14, 2006
✟12,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's a lot of talk of patriots being defenders of liberty and standing up against corruption here. How dare you un-American scum.

Patriots hate freedom and love slavery. They never question authority. They proudly use the Bill of Rights as toilet paper.

The greatest form of patriotism is never questioning your government!

Bow down and lick the hand that feeds you. Love big brother, big brother loves you. Submit to him. We watch you because we love you. The government is your friend. History is never filled with accounts of wicked governments oppressing their people, only loving governments caringly aiding its slaves.

Those are love chains caressing your ankles and wrists.

Sarcasm

So who are these people you refer to? Who is bowing down and licking the hand that feeds you?

Upvote 0

Daniel19

Oct 9, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Parson Jefferson,

I was being sarcastic, as I'm sure you caught on to. I wasn't refering to any one person. I'm trying to show the exact opposite of patriotism and love of freedom.

Just in case you were wondering, the bowing down and licking the hand that feeds you came from this Samuel Adams quote:

“If ye love wealth greater than Liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” – Samuel Adams

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ParsonJefferson

Mar 14, 2006
✟12,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Parson Jefferson,

I was being sarcastic, as I'm sure you caught on to. I wasn't refering to any one person. I'm trying to show the exact opposite of patriotism and love of freedom.

Just in case you were wondering, the bowing down and licking the hand that feeds you came from this Samuel Adams quote:

“If ye love wealth greater than Liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” – Samuel Adams

Yes, I'm fully aware that you were being sarcastic.

But I'm curious as to whom forum members believe to be the "kiss ups". I'm sure the liberals will claim it's the conservatives, and the conservatives will claim it's the liberals.

Upvote 0

Daniel19

Oct 9, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's a good question.

Personally, I'd say that groups within each side could qualify as the kiss ups. The love of power and the act of serving it knows no party boundaries.

You'll always find individuals and groups warming up to the power structure out of fear, a belief that it will protect them, or a purely sycophantic love of power and a weak spirit of the lackey.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A patriot, IMHO, is someone who realizes the uniquness of their country, and who sees both the good and bad sides, but who also wants to protect the good sides and help reducte the bad.

You raise a good point here. Much of the criticism of the current administration shows little to no recognition of what is good about America, the sole focus appears to be only on what is wrong with it.

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
You raise a good point here. Much of the criticism of the current administration shows little to no recognition of what is good about America, the sole focus appears to be only on what is wrong with it.
on the contrary, it is criticizing the current administration for leaving behind what is best about america. isolating disagreement through the use of special areas where free speech is allowed, search and seizure without warrant, torture in rejection of the geneva convention, and so on. the focus isn't on what's wrong with america, but rather what is wrong with the administration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ParsonJefferson

Mar 14, 2006
✟12,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

That always happens. Those whose preferred party is not in the White House, spend a great deal of time bemoaning the fact that America is going down the tubes.

The Republicans did it when Clinton was in office.
The Democrats have been doing it since Bush took office.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That always happens. Those whose preferred party is not in the White House, spend a great deal of time bemoaning the fact that America is going down the tubes.

The Republicans did it when Clinton was in office.
The Democrats have been doing it since Bush took office.

The difference is that it actually did go down the tubes when Clinton was in office.

Upvote 0