What makes Christian music “Christian”?

NewDayInChrist

Oct 7, 2013
✟15,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been involved in Christian music for decades, owned a Christian music store for 12 years, and promoted more than 50 CCM concerts. Still, I have often wondered what it is that makes Christian music “Christian” for some people? Is it because songs makes direct reference to the Lord (even the Book of Esther does not mention God, either by name or title)? Is it because it is sung in church? Are hymns the only acceptable form of Christian music? Is a song “Christian” because it contains biblical values? Is a song, even a secular song, Christian because it is sung by a Christian (which would make U2, Eisley, Jonas Brothers, Lifehouse, and a few others Christian artists)? Is it “Christian” because of the style of music (like hymns, worship, contemporary, southern, bluegrass, gospel, whatever)? Is it because of who the music is marketed for? Who produces it? What? Some have developed a cottage industry (ministry) on this subject and seem to muddy the waters about the subject. So, what do you think? :)

I love what Johann Sebastian Bach said: "The aim and final reason of all music should be nothing else but the glory of God and the refreshment of the spirit."

Personally, I love classical music and some jazz. I would consider ALL music that glorifies God and refreshes the spirit to be "Christian" music.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

abbygirlforever

Loved by the Father
Aug 7, 2003
NY
✟11,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does the music glorify Jesus? Does it preach or speak of the Kingdom of God? Does it line up with scripture? Does it edify the hearer?

Does it meet the criteria in Philippians 4:8?
For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].

There are a lot of artists marketed as or considered to be "Christian" that would have a hard time meeting these qualifications. It's not a "pick one and done" list; all these things added together are necessary. Perhaps some elements are more obvious than others, but when we take a step back and really consider what is before us - an artist, a record, a song, a movement, etc. - does the spirit and letter of the music line up with the above?

The biggest question I ask myself when I listen to music with intent to judge it is this: who is getting the glory here? If the answer is not "Jesus Christ", then proceed with caution.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think Christian music is music which makes a follower of Christ feel edified when they listen to it. There is music that is Christian , Music that is anti Christian and the mix in between.
I agree with this, Christian music edifies you as a believer in Christ. I also believe that secular bands can play music that may edify as well, LOL, they maybe playing christian music and not even know it. :D

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does the music glorify Jesus? Does it preach or speak of the Kingdom of God? Does it line up with scripture? Does it edify the hearer?

Does it meet the criteria in Philippians 4:8?

There are a lot of artists marketed as or considered to be "Christian" that would have a hard time meeting these qualifications. It's not a "pick one and done" list; all these things added together are necessary. Perhaps some elements are more obvious than others, but when we take a step back and really consider what is before us - an artist, a record, a song, a movement, etc. - does the spirit and letter of the music line up with the above?

The biggest question I ask myself when I listen to music with intent to judge it is this: who is getting the glory here? If the answer is not "Jesus Christ", then proceed with caution.
I know of alot of secular music that can meet the criteria in that passage. ;)

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I agree with this, Christian music edifies you as a believer in Christ. I also believe that secular bands can play music that may edify as well, LOL, they maybe playing christian music and not even know it. :D

Exactly, and below is one good example of this. In fact, many Christian singers/bands have been known to do covers of it. It reminds me of the passage in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

This is the original version by The Byrds in 1965:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jxxagVEO4

And here is the Sheila Walsh rendition, circa 1983:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBmRt1fmXBQ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Here is a nice little blog I just found a minute ago that is chock full of interesting reading regarding music and the Christian, from a Christian viewpoint. It covers a variety of issues, including sacred vs. secular, the common debate on what is considered "Godly" music styles (namely CCM vs. Southern Gospel), music used in church in comparison/contrast with music for "casual listening", and much more. I figured it would fit in this thread since these issues are all very common and convictions differ so much between Christians on these issues and others like them. It is not meant to change people's minds on how they honestly feel; its simply a little food for thought for anyone who might be interested. It is recommended to bookmark it, and read as time allows. There is a lot of good insight to be found.

Musings on Church Music | Church Music Philosophy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
In the context of running a Christian bookstore and being on a worship team, I think it's important to keep a tighter list. Because music IS so powerful, it is easy for us to get caught up in a thought or feeling and get carried away.

When I first heard the song,"Let it Be," I thought, Oh goodie a Christian song! But it goes against what I believe, replacing the Holy Spirit with a person, and hinting at salvation after limbo. Mixing doctrines seems it can be more offensive than a purely secular song.

In a church service, the team leads the people in worship and instruction through the words of the song. If a church expects all its people to voice the words, it is important to make sure the words are in line with scriptures.

And I can understand feeling that way about music store inventory selection. People come there looking for Christian music, and should find Christ.

I think it's fine to include instrumental secular music, or family movies. But questionable doctrine or bad associations (Madonna talking about Judaism) fight against what you're trying to accomplish.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMO, music (w/o lyrics) is amoral; neither Christian nor secular. It is the lyrics that make a song/tune either moral or immoral, Christian or non-Christian. Some people, like King Saul, seem to be affected by music (alone) on some emotional level. I know that some classical music soothes me, some romantic tunes make me misty, an edgy rock song stimulates my adrenaline, but I can’t say that they affect my spirit. I am either as deep or shallow spiritually after I have been subjected to music as I was before I turned on the stereo. I think it is my will that I have to be concerned about. I can will/choose to be Christian or non-Christian regardless of my surroundings. When I hear un-Christian lyrics I have the choice to either accept what I hear or reject it, to listen or not. The choice is mine. Music, by itself, has little effect on by spirit; mostly on my emotions. My freewill has everything to do with who I am. If I choose, I can lose contact with God in church as readily as I can at a rock concert and, conversely, I can find God at a rock concert as readily as I can at church—(I know, I have more than one testimony, even in our church, of this.) The Holy Spirit is not hindered by our surroundings. Only we are because most of us live on an emotional level, ergo music (sans lyrics) may affect us. But if we live on a spiritual level, it won’t, because it can’t. It depends on me and my God-given freewill. IOW, God is voting for me; the devil is voting against me; and whichever way I vote is the one who gets me. That’s the doctrine of election.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I owned a Christian music store for 12 yeas. I played all kinds of music in the store—southern, contemporary, rap, rock, inspirational, pop, etc. All of it was marketed to Christians (i.e., it was labeled “Christian” music). Occasionally I would have a surly mom happen in the store who would tell me to turn off a particular CD and play “praise music” because, she would say, she did not allow her children-in-tow to listen to “secular”-sounding music. (I often wondered if she did the same at the Mall or Walmart … but I digress). I would explain that all the music we played in the store was “Christian,” because all the lyrics exalted Christ or Christian virtues. My explanation seldom registered and I often wondered how “Christian” it was for us to impose our values and musical tastes on everyone else. I once had a friend record “Amazing Grace” in a variety of musical styles—traditional, rock, jazz, classical, pop, etc. It was all beautiful and you could recognize the melody line, but which was Christian and which wasn’t? IMO, since it was just the music it was neither secular nor Christian—it was just music. It’s the lyrics that make it Christian. In fact, one of our favorite songs at church is the lyrics to “Amazing Grace” set to the tune of “The House of the Rising Sun.” Some have a hard time deciding whether it’s Christian or non-Christian, but it makes our point. :)

Upvote 0