Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would oppose the teaching that it is in Christ everything exists (the implication being something existed without God).
Not necessarily. I think such statements in Scripture refer to OUR created order. (I'm not sure angels are included). In my materialistic view, all such created things exist in Christ and would fall apart without Him. Reason: in my view gravity is the hand of God - the divine Word - pushing and pulling on every particle of matter in our universe, sustaining all things by the Word of His power (Hebrews 1:3).

But yes, eternal matter implies that God was not the only existing object in the beginning. I don't think Scripture has a problem with that notion, but philosophically minded people often do.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We cannot speak of nothing without implying its ground of being, and we cannot speak of pure being without implying its nothingness other than itself. Therefore, pure nothing and pure being are the same, and to speak of the Absolute, who I hold to be pure being and act, is to speak of nothing. It is actually funny. The atheist and the theist are both right, yet they are wrong about each other. The Principal Upanishads touch on this, and they helped me better understand when I first began studying negative theology. We are truly nothing.
I don't understand. If you try to explain it to me, you'd almost certainly be wasting your time.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't understand. If you try to explain it to me, you'd almost certainly be wasting your time.
Honestly, I am explaining really nothing. Haha. Many will say that I am the one who is wasting more words by trying to explain what cannot be explained. Silence is the ultimate answer to every question ever conceived.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily. I think such statements in Scripture refer to OUR created order. (I'm not sure angels are included). In my materialistic view, all such created things exist in Christ and would fall apart without Him. Reason: in my view gravity is the hand of God - the divine Word - pushing and pulling on every particle of matter in our universe, sustaining all things by the Word of His power (Hebrews 1:3).

But yes, eternal matter implies that God was not the only existing object in the beginning. I don't think Scripture has a problem with that notion, but philosophically minded people often do.
Perhaps. I think it depends on how we approach Scripture (and maybe our definitions).

I guess we need to decide if all things in heaven and earth, visible and invisible, refers to our created order. We also need to define Jesus being before all things, and identify the "all things" that are held together.

Colossians 1:16–17 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps. I think it depends on how we approach Scripture (and maybe our definitions).

I guess we need to decide if all things in heaven and earth, visible and invisible, refers to our created order. We also need to define Jesus being before all things, and identify the "all things" that are held together.

Colossians 1:16–17 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
That's a good point. Angels are probably included. I once asked myself whether God imposes any kind of forces (similar to gravity) upon angels. Perhaps He does. For one thing, perhaps He protects the physical integrity of each angel, holding it together should the parts want to separate.

Reactions: John Caldwell
Upvote 0