✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Greek - useful for study of the Scriptures

Japanese - my son hopes to move to Japan and I would like to communicate with others while visiting him

German - always had some interest in this, not sure why

French - can get by in French, but my wife and her family’s first language is French, so i’d Like to speak it fluently, and it is a widely spoken language worldwide

Spanish - commonly spoken language in the USA and around the world, so would like to be able to communicate with more people; and it has a beautiful sound to it

(Latin - less interested now, but took it in school for 6 years and enjoyed it way back then)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. But i have chinese sometimes:)
So you're hearing the language from time to time? This is good.

IF you are familiar with, say, John's Gospel, it can be good to try to follow John chapter one in the language you are learning. Easier in phonetic script, of course, but even in Chinese you get to see the character patterns.

Reactions: Amy Lohter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greek - useful for study of the Scriptures

Japanese - my son hopes to move to Japan and I would like to communicate with others while visiting him

German - always had some interest in this, not sure why

French - can get by in French, but my wife and her family’s first language is French, so i’d Like to speak it fluently, and it is a widely spoken language worldwide

Spanish - commonly spoken language in the USA and around the world, so would like to be able to communicate with more people; and it has a beautiful sound to it

(Latin - less interested now, but took it in school for 6 years and enjoyed it way back then)
I use the French and Spanish Bibles regularly.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Amy Lohter So before learning Chinese, do you have any knowledge of languages such as French or Spanish? because in some ways initially they would be more straightforward than Chinese, which - especially for Westerners - can be very challenging (though more power to you if you are trying).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've heard the hardest language for a native English speaker to learn is Arabic. But I don't know how true that is.
The pronunciation can be hard sometimes for certain sounds. The consonantal nodes in Arabic are fairly straightforward; the script requires effort to master.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like to study ancient Indo-European languages (Gothic, Latin, Ancient Greek, Old Irish, Old Church Slavonic, Hittite, Sanskrit, Avestan)
Good subject! I didn't realize that Hittite was Indo-European.

Linguists talk about Proto-Indo-European, although its reconstruction is to some extent conjecture, I guess.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
French and German, to make my genealogical research easier.
Yes, the history of North America really involves at a family level sources in languages such as French and German, right?

I've been interested to learn about how the history of states such as Vermont and Maine involves a lot of families from Lower Canada (Quebec) and even Acadia.

Upvote 0