What language is spoken in Byzantine Catholic Churches?

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,592.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Latin will probably not be.
If you go to a Ukrainian Catholic church, it may be in Ukrainian or the Local language.

I've been to a Melkite Church where the priest switched between English, Arabic and a few Greek words. (And a smattering of spanish, it was in Miami after all.)

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Our liturgy is either in English or what we call church Slavonic. We use English most of the time but when we sing certain songs like Christ is Risen we go back and forth during the song from English to the Church Slavonic. I don't know why it is called Church Slavonic, perhaps it is use common words from the different languages spoken in Eastern Europe.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They use the vernacular according to the language used by the people of their congregation.

Same is true of Orthodox.

Why some Roman Catholics are upset because we don't use Latin exclusively in the liturgy, is perplexing.

Jim

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ukrainian Greek Catholics in the UK [ English speaking country ] use Ukrainian for Liturgy - as they do in France and Spain to my certain knowledge.

In Argentina I understand the UGCC there uses Spanish .

Just remembered - one Byzantine Church I have attended [ in Belgium ] uses Greek one week and Slavonic the next

Last edited:
Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,396,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
George - do you mean in what language is the Liturgy Served ?

That is very different from spoken [ i.e. the people talking among themselves afterwards]

Yes, I should of been clearer. :)

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,592.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They use the vernacular according to the language used by the people of their congregation.

Same is true of Orthodox.

Why some Roman Catholics are upset because we don't use Latin exclusively in the liturgy, is perplexing.

Jim

Not always.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
very definitely not always

JimR-OCDS said

see my posts - no-one in Belgium speaks Slavonic and/or Greek [ they use French Dutch and English ] UGCC tend to use traditional languages in Europe - and very little in English/French/German etc

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
very definitely not always

JimR-OCDS said

see my posts - no-one in Belgium speaks Slavonic and/or Greek [ they use French Dutch and English ] UGCC tend to use traditional languages in Europe - and very little in English/French/German etc

Again, it goes according to the congregation.

Well, at least that's why my nieces husband who is Antiochan Orthodox told me and how I understood him. He's originally from Lebanon.

My understanding is that if the congregation predominately understands Greek, that's what they'll use and they'll follow Greek Orthodox text, Russian Orthodox, etc.

It also goes by what text are more available and appropriate for the particular congregation.

Either way, they're not locked into using Greek only or Russian only, unlike the pre-Vatican II Latin rite of the Catholic Church where we had Latin only.

Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
AMDG - I think you mean Old Church Slavonic :D

Thanks. (Believe you had to correct me on that once before. Sorry. I'm not ignoring you--it's just that I can't seem to "wrap my mind" around the language and I'm forever.... :blush: ) And some of you guys think that Latin is tough. I think I need phonetic cue cards for Old Church Slavonic! ^_^

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's a tough one I'll admit - I can just about understand where I am when they use OCS - but as for reading it - not a chance. :D

If I'm at an OCS DL I tend to say the 3 great prayers [ Creed , Our Father and Pre-Communion ] in English . In my own Parish I always say the Creed and the Pre-Communion Prayer in English 'cos I can't read /sing them in Ukie .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums