Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
You scored 72, on a scale of 0 to 100. Here's how to interpret your score:
51 - 75
You are a Divine Office (moderately traditional) Catholic. More about you.

I have some traditional points, honestly.
Most liberals don't match the stereotype.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I don't think it allowed for those of radically liberal views, and radically conservative worship. I truly believe in married clergy, and in inclusion for all to the priesthood. But I would need that priesthood to understand the value of liturgy and contemplative prayer, even if their own preference was towards drums and guitars.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You scored 52, on a scale of 0 to 100. Here's how to interpret your score:
0 - 25
You are a Centering Prayer (very progressive) Catholic. More about you.
26 - 50
You are an Ignatian Exercises (moderately progressive) Catholic. More about you.
51 - 75
You are a Divine Office (moderately traditional) Catholic. More about you.

76 - 100
You are a Daily Rosary (very traditional) Catholic. More about you.

I never would have considered myself to be moderately traditional. It must be because of my answers to some of the liturgical questions. :p

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You are a Divine Office (moderately traditional) Catholic.

That's amusing, I'm not Catholic. Some of the questions were hard to answer for a non catholic, but I did it for kicks. It would seem that some of us protestants hold many many similar views as our catholic bretheren. ;)

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are a Divine Office (moderately traditional) Catholic.

That's amusing, I'm not Catholic. Some of the questions were hard to answer for a non catholic, but I did it for kicks. It would seem that some of us protestants hold many many similar views as our catholic bretheren. ;)
Yes, Protestants do have many similar views to Catholics. We're not that different.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, Protestants do have many similar views to Catholics. We're not that different.
I might have scored even higher, but some of the questions were very hard to answer as a non catholic. Not suprising, as it was designed for Catholics.

For instance, the one question stated "what do you consider homosexuality, Abortion, and birth control" as either grave sin, okee dokee, etc...

I have no reason the believe that there is anything wrong with birth control (and, I know we disagree on it, here isn't the place) so I answered "need some revision" but I think the poll assumes that you're just fine with all three if you state that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I saw this over on OBOB, took the quiz -- and got quite a surprise!

This is a fun quiz to take and share your results:
http://www.beliefnet.com/section/qui...D=&surveyID=95

I scored 64.

You Are a Divine Office (Moderately Traditional) Catholic
The Second Vatican Council was much needed, as far as you're concerned, but you see no reason to push the church further in the direction of change, as many progressives urge. You like the dynamic combination of the traditional approach toward doctrine with the opening of the church to the world that Pope John Paul II (your favorite pope) represented. As far as liturgy is concerned, a reverent Mass in the vernacular is your favorite, as is a vernacular hymn with a feeling for the transcendent such as "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence." When Nicole Kidman returned to her childhood Catholicism and regular Mass attendance, you were thrilled.

Which is all the more interesting, considering that I'm a Lutheran. ;)

Also, my favorite Pope was John XXIII.
I got the same.

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I got the same.

Adam...we're are probably all moderate Catholics here (non-Catholics and Catholics) by that quiz....but I am convinced that this forum was necessary and helpful to those inquiring about the Church and those that are faithful yet dissenting on certain issues.

Upvote 0

ZuZu

Contributor
Dec 16, 2005
✟20,781.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I scored a 52....
51 - 75
x.gif

You are a Divine Office (moderately traditional) Catholic

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Since so many non-Catholics have been scoring moderate, too, I think the quiz is just very poorly done.

It is fraught with problems...but it is fun and we're noticing an interest in Catholicism....maybe it's not your grandmother's Catholicism!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is fraught with problems...but it is fun and we're noticing an interest in Catholicism....maybe it's not your grandmother's Catholicism!!

Eh, my grandma's just fine with Novus Ordo mass and Vatican II. It's the next generation or two that seem to be either wanting to revert or progress further.

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Eh, my grandma's just fine with Novus Ordo mass and Vatican II. It's the next generation or two that seem to be either wanting to revert or progress further.

I meant no afront to anyone's grandmother or to those that are firm in their faith. We are working on changes within the Church and this is where we will continue to push for progress.

Upvote 0

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I meant no afront to anyone's grandmother or to those that are firm in their faith. We are working on changes within the Church and this is where we will continue to push for progress.

Oh, none taken. I was just pointing out that from what I've seen the 70ish+ people are fine and dandy with post VII stuff, whereas the people who were by and large raised in it are the ones calling for pre VII stuff. Or are losing faith.

Upvote 0

spinningtutu

Jun 5, 2005
✟3,648.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I took it and scored a 17 (does that make me bad?)

You Are a Centering Prayer (Very Progressive) Catholic
As far as you're concerned, the Second Vatican Council was the best thing that ever happened to the church—but since then, the much-needed changes it made in the structure, theology and liturgy of the church have been hijacked by reactionary priests, bishops, and laity. You believe that in order to be relevant to our time and faithful to the teachings of Jesus, the church must dismantle its current hierarchical structure and change its teachings on such issues as birth control and gay unions. You believe that social justice, especially for minorities and women, is the church's most important—and most neglected—concern. Your idea of a good movie is "Dead Man Walking." When someone asks you who your favorite pope is, your first thought is that the papacy itself is a suspect institution—so why not "Pope Joan?"

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I think the poll is kind of silly at times, because it'll give you a double choice for one answer. For instance, the first question asks how you "view the Church's teachings on sex," and lists "bans on birth control, extramarital relations, and homosexual acts" as components of the questions. Sheesh, if you're going to list all those, you might as well take each issue individually.

And some of the questions just seem lame, like the second one, "As a lay Catholic, my chief responsibilities are: (1) Obeying all the laws of the church, (2) Striving for personal holiness, (3) Getting involved with my parish, (4) Getting involved with social justice." 1, 2, and 4 all seem very similar, and 3 sounds more social than religious, although I can understand that option, and I think this question should allow more than one choice.

In question 9, it asks which style of prayer I use the most, but that seems like an arbitrary question as well, because I think of prayer in a qualitative, not quantitative manner (a true Catholic ;) ). For example, I pray in my own words most often, but other styles of prayer are far more important to me. The Rosary is a system of meditation that I highly cherish, although I don't do it nearly as often as I should. And contemplative, still styles of prayer are extremely important to me because I struggle with anxiety on a daily basis; I get very upset at the slightest things, and it helps me calm down.

Question 14 asks, "About ordaining women as priests, I think: (1) It's inevitable for the survival of the church, (2) It's theologically impossible, because Jesus chose only men to be his apostles, (3) It's theologically possible but would discourage men from becoming priests, (4) Jesus never intended to found an ordained priesthood, so the question is irrelevant." I chose option 3, but not for its wording. I think its logistically, not traditionally, possible, but I don't think it would discourage men from becoming priests (although I still assent to Church teachings). I think option 2 is silly, because I don't see it as having male priests because Jesus said so, since He never says, "I choose only men, and that's the way it will always be." As far as 1 goes, I think it will help, but I don't think the Church would die if it weren't done, because I believe the "gates of hell shall not prevail against the Church."

Question 17 makes me cringe a little, because I found myself having to choose "The church was ripe for some changes, but liberals have taken them too far." Although I agree that it was a good Council with good changes, I think some people have taken advantage of it, but I definitely wouldn't blanket those people with the label "liberal."

On question 20, I had to choose "Every Friday - It's the traditional Penance" over "On Ash Wednesday and the Fridays of Lent as required," because regardless of whether my penance is actually going without meat, I always try to sacrifice something small that I enjoy on Fridays, out of respect for Jesus' sacrifice and Canon Law.

Regarding abortion in no. 21, I almost chose (1), but I couldn't because although I believe that abortion "is a grave moral wrong," I don't necessarily agree that "we should support laws severely restricting its availability" in our current situation, so I chose "(2) It is a grave moral wrong, but a woman's decision to abort should be honored except in extreme cases, such as late-term abortion" instead, even though I wasn't totally sure about that one either. Maybe it's just because this is a touchy issue with a lot of tension and no easy answers, I don't know.

Question 23 was another hard one: "On the issue of gay priests, I believe: (1) No one who self-identifies as gay should be admitted to the priesthood, (2) Self-identified gays may be priests as long as they lead chaste lives, (3) The church should follow a "don't ask, don't tell" policy that would allow gay priests who don't flaunt their homosexuality, (4) The church should welcome gays into the clergy." I ended up choosing 3, because I believe that no matter who you are, you should be chaste as a priest, unless married. And yes, I'm thinking about gay marriage here too, and I don't think it would be sacramentally appropriate, considering the Church's teachings, but I would really prefer not to debate that.

And question 24 doesn't include anything about annulment, which I think is silly as well, but I chose "(3) Allow Catholics to divorce and remarry, but only under serious circumstances such as adultery or desertion."

So voila, I'm a 79, barely a "Daily Rosary (very traditional) Catholic." Thanks for reading my long-winded second response. ^_^

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.