What kind of books do 13 year olds read?

Nikoel

Warrior for Christ
Dec 16, 2004
Nebraska
Visit site
✟941.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As a result of a writing prompt (www.writersdigest.com) I came up with a character who I'd really like to write about, however she's only 13 and I just for the life of me have no clue what to write about for 13 year olds!

How long of books do they read? What types of books?

I'd really appreciate any help or ideas!

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
13-year-olds are not completely different from greater literary works. The chapters need to be smaller, but the over all size does not always matter. Take Eragon as a prime example. The language should be to the point, alot of imagery should be in the text, and there should not be any confusing analogies

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
They're at the strangest in-between age. My daughter started reading 400-page Chrichton and Grisham then, and my son stuck to 100-page Wishbone. They're capable, but still love animals and silly things. They don't like condescension.

I think the Peretti Cooper kids series was perfect for that age group...exploring the unknown, out-of-the-box Christianity, adventure, not too many descriptive words to bog reading down.

Holes, Shiloh series, Brian's Winter and Hatchett, Ginger Pye also went over well then. I liked them, anyway!

You could place yourself into the life of some adolescents to hear how they talk and think---teach Sunday School for a bit, or take a neice to a soccer game. They're all distinct personalities, and you will never write one book that pleases all. Dive into it, and you'll find inner hunches about wording, along the way.

Upvote 0

jesusfreak10537

So she dances...
Nov 6, 2004
In my own strange world that consists of speech, d
Visit site
✟18,390.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I thirteen, I read Lord of the Rings, Lemony's Snicket's works, The Chronicles of Narnia, and whatever historical fiction book I could get my hands on. A lot of 13-year-olds I talk to like historical fiction.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My daughter loves to read. When she selects a book, I watch her go through the book to see how long the chapters are first. This apparently is the first and most important part of selecting a book to her. Then she reads the back cover to see if the book is about a girl or boy her same age. She only wants to read about teen kids. She likes to read about kids that overcome obstacles and challenges. She also picks books that are "series". She really sticks with "teeny bopper" type books about girly stuff like boys and friends and drama!

Upvote 0

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I was 13, I read Ella Enchanted, The Two Princesses of Bamarre, Holes, the Dear America series(historical fiction, like diaries of fictional American girls who lived in different significant parts of America's history), and pretty much every fantasy book I could get my hands on(except for Harry Potter).

Reactions: Nikoel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ConstanceB

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past
Jan 29, 2005
Southern Oregon
✟14,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
akasmom said:
Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Lemony Snicket, Wrinkle in Time; many like Judy Blume (author), I don't myself, but she's popular.

Exactly! Teaching middle school, I found many girls were interested in Anne of Green Gables & the complete series, and books by the Bronte sisters & Louisa May Alcott. The writer "Avi" is also popular, and is a great example of genuine dialog.

The author of A Wrinkle in Time is Madeline L'Engel, and she has written several books, I believe about the same kids. One is A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

"Lemony Snicket" has written numerous books, each as funny as the others.

One bright, quiet 7th grader slipped me a wonderful note after reading the first of the Anne of Avonlea books. She wrote, "I finally feel like I've found my best friends!" Ask a librarian for some of the most popular books; check them out and read them. If they are classics (stuff that lasts), you will enjoy them as much as your kids.

Upvote 0