What kind of birth do you prefer?

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I do NOT want to be induced at all. I would rather go straight for the C-Section then be induced again.
Actually, if you're going for a VBAC, you should NEVER be induced. Pitocin Always causes more stress on the uterus and is not recommended for a woman attempting a VBAC.

Make sure you have a caregiver who is Completely Truly ok with you attempting a VBAC. Many times (at least around here) they Say they're fine with it, only to flip at the end of the pregnancy and come up with a hundred reasons that the mom "shouldn't" go for it. *rolleyes*

If it comes down to inducing or C-section, I'd say go C-section.

Upvote 0
C

CelticRose

FLH~ Education education education. The more you prepare for a natural birth, the better off you'll be. :)
I would 2nd this. Being prepared takes a lot of the fear out of the situation & gives you time to think through options. Some midwives round here encourage you to do a birth plan so everyone knows how you hope your birth will go & which options you wish to try in what order so you can say no epi, go straight for the big C. lol.

Upvote 0

Called2Grace

My body, my birth my choice!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2005
Australia
✟49,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
I was so unprepared for my first birh! My Doc told me I didn't need to have a birth plan and I didn't even need to go to the antenatal classes!!

And becuase she was so good with everything else, I went along with that.

I really wished that I had gone to the antenatal classes, and written a birth plan. At least I would have had more of an idea!!

I am going to the classes this time around though, and going to write a birth plan. Even if I don't stick to it entirely, I am prepared to be flexible, I think it will help me to know what I want and what my options are.

Upvote 0

seamonster

happy goth
Oct 2, 2005
✟18,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My spinal block worked great during surgery because I didn't feel any pain. I still felt the pressure of the baby coming out, and I got really bad chills and was shaking during the surgery, which was weird and I wasn't really expecting. I'd say natural birth or even vaginal birth is ideal because it's what our bodies are made to do. Every woman I know who has had a VBAC has said that the woman's body is made to give birth that way and the recovery period is a lot easier.

Upvote 0

BananaCake

Veteran
Dec 6, 2006
✟16,572.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Actually, if you're going for a VBAC, you should NEVER be induced. Pitocin Always causes more stress on the uterus and is not recommended for a woman attempting a VBAC.

I have a friend who was induced 3 weeks early in order to have a successful VBAC. Strange.

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
From everything I've read, inducing a woman who's had a C-section is a Big no-no. Now that doesn't mean that some doctors will do it Anyway... for whatever reasons. I would just be REALLY careful to educate myself on VBACs, induction, hospital policy, and the doctor's track record before agreeing to anything.

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My doctor wouldn't induce my 2nd baby due to previous emergency caesarean. I had toxaemia with 2nd baby, and she had to come out that day, otherwise my kidneys and liver were going to shut down. Scary thought. So 2nd caesar it was for me. Everything I have read about inductions after caesarean says that the chance of rupture is much higher.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 29, 2006
✟10,867.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was always scared of the 'needle in the spine thing' so was really focused on a natural birth from the first. Then when I had to have the spinal tap AFTER zekey was delivered, I'm no longer scared about it... but it did make my recovery take longer than it did from my first delivery.

Upvote 0

tiredwalker

Veteran
Sep 21, 2006
✟18,633.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
One that actually gets the baby out. I pushed for three hours with no meds and she didn't move a milimeter. Then I got a c-section and the whole world was a better place. I'm usually an all natural person, but my body was not made for birthing babies. My doctor's have said they would totally support me if I would like to try for a VBAC, but did tell me that my chances of a successful one were about 10%. I'm totally not going for it.

Upvote 0

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I had a c-section with my first after being induced and being in labour for 15 hours including 1 1/2 hours pushing. Horrible horrible experience. Plus I found it very debilitating afterwards - I couldn't do a thing and feel like I missed out on the first couple of months if his life. The actual labour bit I did with just gas and air

Second time around I did everything I could to avoid a c-section. I insisted on being induced if I got to a week after my due date. I knew that with this option they could o ly give me the drugs once then there may be a possibility of a section (if I'd gone 2weeks over like I did with my 1st a section was a certainty). I went into labour the day before my induction and did the whole thing on just gas and air - wonderful stuff. I also did without it for an hour and half not long before I needed to push. However I ended up with a third degree tear which wasn't fun.

All in all I didn't enjoy either but natural was better. I was up and about so much sooner and because I didn't have any drugs in my system I felt normal straight away

if I was going to do it again Id choose natural with gas and air - no way would I choose an epidural

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
My doctor wouldn't induce my 2nd baby due to previous emergency caesarean. I had toxaemia with 2nd baby, and she had to come out that day, otherwise my kidneys and liver were going to shut down. Scary thought. So 2nd caesar it was for me. Everything I have read about inductions after caesarean says that the chance of rupture is much higher.

It's a tiny tiny chance. I have a friend who has worked as a midwife for 20 years and has never had a rupture after c-section. She also said that if it did happen they would see the signs of it being a possibility way before it became a problem

Upvote 0

angelsamongus

Daughter of the Most Holy
Apr 14, 2008
Minnesota
✟8,156.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had an epideral with my 1st and my right side never numbed. It was twice as painful when it was only one side. I pushed for four hours with no improvement. Had to have an emergency c section. He was 7 lbs 7oz. the Dr. said when they opened me up they saw my birth canal was to small she said I could only have a 5lbs baby or less naturally.

Low and behold I got pregnant with my second and wanted a VBAC. The same Dr. who delivered my first baby gave me a possible 45% chance of us surviving it. I wasn't in a lot of fear and kept believing God would let this baby come out naturally. I pushed for four hours with NO MEDS. They had to use a mighty vac to get him out. BUT I had a 8lbs 12oz baby naturally who was face up and hand by his head. BTW his chest was bigger that his head! After they told me I could only have a 5lbs baby or less!! (I did have a 3rd degree tear, but I had a VBAC!!:clap:

I had ups and downs for both, but I am going all natural this time again with no meds.

Upvote 0

tessas212

Dog Behavior Consultant
Jul 16, 2006
Ohio
✟16,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wanted all natural birth - no drugs, no epidural, no episotomy, NO csection. I got the exact opposite thanks to an induce, c-section happy OBGYN. I hated my entire pregnancy and childbirth experience thanks to that jerk. AND, I missed out on so much because I couldn't walk or do anything thanks to a huge incision in my stomach.

If I ever have another natural child, I will have a VBAC. Not taking no for an answer.

Upvote 0