What keeps Cotton Fabric from falling apart?

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Physics?

Ten Commandments

Ten Commandments given
Once the Light was Let to Be:
Mass attracts to Mass,
Coefficient of Gravity,
Force to equal M by A,
Time to pass and see,
What comes forth
From these Laws
Sown by Trinity

And from these Laws,
All we see -
A universe of diversity
And splendor

Now if only we would keep
The Commandments
He gave to Us

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi rockytop,

It is the twisting together of the fibers that keeps cotton thread from pulling apart easily and the closeness of the warp and woof of the weave that keeps material made with cotton thread from pulling apart.

upload_2017-12-18_8-31-2.jpeg

The tendrils of the cotton puff interlock in the spinning process. literally dozens of these fine tendrils are tightly twisted around one another effectively locking each puff to each other and the continued spinning draws these tendrils tighter and tighter together until a fairly fine or course thread is produced from the puffy tufts of cotton fibers.

Then the thread that is produced is woven into a tight warp and woof pattern that greatly limits any longitudinal movement to merely a couple of millimeters. This locks everything into place so that pulling or ripping apart is quite difficult.

However, if you take a spool of just cotton thread, it can be fairly easily broken apart with a little pulling. The cotton fibers will give or break and pull apart. It is the weaving that gives cotton material its great strength along with the thickness of the thread. Most cotton material is made with more course thread than everyday sewing thread.

But yes, God created the cotton plant to be perfectly suited to this use. So that man could make clothing for himself.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

• Informative
Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What keeps Cotton Fabric from falling apart? The longest fiber is only 2" with most only 1".

Of course, as a creationist, my reply would be because God make it that way.
Do you mean like there's a supernatural force holding the fibers together in a cotton thread?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I mean, I believe cotton was intelligently designed.
I think it was people making good use of the natural characteristics of available materials, like with wool or iron.

But polyester was intelligently designed, for sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I mean, there's a reason why we spin thread out of fibers and not gravel. There's a reason why we make concrete out of gravel and not cotton balls.

We choose tools and ingredients that are suitable to the purpose.

880b1fde6593c3ed07b9340e2780a642.jpg

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,933.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
After scouring and bleaching, cotton is 99% cellulose. Cellulose is a macromolecule –– a polymer made up of a long chain of glucose molecules linked by C-1 to C-4 oxygen bridges with elimination of water (glycoside bonds). ... The cellulose chains within cotton fibers tend to be held in place by hydrogen bonding. - Cotton Morphology and Chemistry - Cotton Incorporated

CellobioseRepeatUnit.gif

figure7.gif

• Winner
Reactions: juvenissun
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The image is nice. Could you find one which shows the cross sections?

Of course. I know how to use Google.

textile1.gif

Why is the cotton fiber twisted?

Because God wants us to waste our time ironing our cotton shirts (and/or cursing).

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Of course. I know how to use Google.

textile1.gif

Because God wants us to waste our time ironing our cotton shirts (and/or cursing).

Thanks. I know how to ask people to use Google.
The cotton fiber is different from all others. We should not iron the cotton clothes. That is what God says to us through the shape of cotton fiber.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Willis Gravning

St. Francis of Assisi
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Sioux Falls, SD
✟99,367.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What keeps Cotton Fabric from falling apart? The longest fiber is only 2" with most only 1".

Of course, as a creationist, my reply would be because God made it that way.
It is a fundamental principle of Murphy's law...'loose ends, left to themselves will become hopelessly entangled.'

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. I know how to ask people to use Google.
The cotton fiber is different from all others. We should not iron the cotton clothes. That is what God says to us through the shape of cotton fiber.
I'm 45% sure you are serious.

Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
As a maker of many spinning wheels and having taught a number of people to hand spin.
It is the twist that holds the fibres together. Plying two or more threads together in the opposite direction, adds additional strength to the finished yarn. The longer the length of the fibres the higher the quality of the finished yarn, and the finer it can be drafted.
Charkha weels are more often used for hand spinning cotton, but it can be done just as easily, on a European style wool or linen wheel.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As a maker of many spinning wheels and having taught a number of people to hand spin.
It is the twist that holds the fibres together. Plying two or more threads together in the opposite direction, adds additional strength to the finished yarn. The longer the length of the fibres the higher the quality of the finished yarn, and the finer it can be drafted.
Charkha weels are more often used for hand spinning cotton, but it can be done just as easily, on a European style wool or linen wheel.
Would the same twist hold together 1" to 2" smooth polyester fibers in a thread?

Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Would the same twist hold together 1" to 2" smooth polyester fibers in a thread?
Polyester, nylon and silk are extruded continuous fibres. And would stay together with very little spin.
Tussa silk is made from short or broken silk fibres or damaged cocoons, and requires more spin to achieve the same strength. Equally man made fibres would require more spin were they short rather than continuous fibres.

The nature and length of the fibre determines the amount of spin required, as does its final intended use. A weft yarn or one intend for knitting is usually soft with less strength than required for a warp or sewing yarn.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0