What is your "walk by the Spirit" elevator speech?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mine:

Walking by God's Spirit is about communion with God's Spirit. So you will want to be in a constant attitude of prayer. Until you learn to hear God's voice/leading accurately, read his written word as much as possible. Then you need to be obedient to his leading, which will never contradict his written word or nature.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know, I'm still trying to work that one out for myself. Conceptually, I understand what it means to walk in the Spirit according to what the Bible teaches, but the hardest part for me is the application of the disciplines, and being consistent about doing so. For me personally, I suppose it's the consistency that one must adhere to in order to effectively walk in the Spirit - something I'm still working on.

• Agree
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you get 30 seconds with a new believer and they ask you, how do I walk by the Spirit. How do you explain that to them in just 30 seconds?
Make love the center of your thoughts and actions. Reject hateful thoughts and imaginations and maintain a prayerful attitude.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I get the impression that all of you guys so far are under the belief, in order for a Believer to walk in the Spirit, that Must be the ones to consciously do it.

Understand, Believers are in Christ, the Holy Spirit Resides within us, we have become New Creatures We Are Born again OF the Spirit, this walking in the Spirit is not something we choose to do or strive to do, no, we walk in the Spirit because that is what we are.

Col. 2:6
As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

Rom. 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Gal. 5:25
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Gal. 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Gal. 3:3
Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Stop trying to achieve something which you have already achieved, because.

Rom. 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Rom. 6:11
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

This then is walking in the Spirit.........30sec. and counting.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get the impression that all of you guys so far are under the belief, in order for a Believer to walk in the Spirit, that Must be the ones to consciously do it.

Understand, Believers are in Christ, the Holy Spirit Resides within us, we have become New Creatures We Are Born again OF the Spirit, this walking in the Spirit is not something we choose to do or strive to do, no, we walk in the Spirit because that is what we are.

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Gal. 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We battle the flesh so we are quite conscious of walking in the Spirit. No battle = no Spirit.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Obviously the Bible teaches we are born again of the Spirit upon being saved, meaning the Holy Spirit dwells within us as believers. However, a Christian must still daily resist against sin in order to live a holy life. It makes no difference in regard to our salvation, however for us to abstain from being carnal, we must be consistently walking in the Spirit. Again, I'm speaking of being spiritual vs. carnal and not of salvation since grace through faith is the only requirement of salvation.

I think this is the entire point of Romans chapter 7. It can be summarized as the "struggle of Christian discipline."

• Agree
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yup to piggyback off the last two or rather three responses, Walking in the Spirit is absolutely something we choose to do, so as to not carry out the desires of the flesh.

I can see how some might confuse walking in the spirit with being indwellt by the Spirit (and by extension everything we do is walking in the Spirit). But it seems like a rather odd statement for Jesus and Paul to make if its something all believers would do regardless

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Obviously the Bible teaches we are born again of the Spirit upon being saved, meaning the Holy Spirit dwells within us as believers.

What then does the Holy Spirit dwelling within you as a Believer (mean to you, do for you) personally?

What is the purpose of becoming Born Again, being Indwelt of the Spirit.

However, a Christian must still daily resist against sin in order to live a holy life.

Just how does a Christian, daily resist against sin, in order to live a holy life?

Is there Scripture which teaches the Believer how this is accomplished in the Believers life.

Just what is it that constitutes a Holy Life, what are the requirements for the Believer to know within himself that he is moving forward in that direction, or is in fact living a Holy Life?

It makes no difference in regard to our salvation, however for us to abstain from being carnal, we must be consistently walking in the Spirit.

Are you under the impression (Belief), a Christian does not consistently, continually walk in the Spirit?

From the time you were Physically Born into this world, did you ever at any time not walk in the Flesh, in the Natural Nature of mankind?

What would make you believe, once a Believer is Born Again of the Spirit, you can walk in the Spirit at different times thereafter, but not all the time?

Again, I'm speaking of being spiritual vs. carnal and not of salvation since grace through faith is the only requirement of salvation.

If what your saying is true, then what purpose, function does being Spiritual
serve?

How does a Believer know he is Spiritual?

I think this is the entire point of Romans chapter 7. It can be summarized as the "struggle of Christian discipline."

If the summarization of Rom. 7 is the "struggle of Christian discipline,"
what then did Paul give us as the (HIS) Resolution of Rom. 7

In your first post to this thread you said, below.

I understand what it means to walk in the Spirit according to what the Bible teaches, but the hardest part for me is the application of the disciplines, and being consistent about doing so.

What does the Bible teach about a Believer walking in the Spirit, what does it mean?
What are these Disciplines you find to be difficult in applying?
Where do you feel your consistency is lacking in your application of these Disciplines?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
yup to piggyback off the last two or rather three responses, Walking in the Spirit is absolutely something we choose to do, so as to not carry out the desires of the flesh.

Sorry, but I am going to have to invoke the "Show me the Scriptures rebuttal," where both the RED and the Blue of your statements are spoken of.

How does a New Believer become Born Again by his dying to the Flesh and becoming alive to the Spirit, then choose to Walk in the Spirit, hasn't he just DIED to the FLESH, ERGO he is Alive to the Spirit.

Do you not know

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We battle the flesh so we are quite conscious of walking in the Spirit. No battle = no Spirit.

If the following Verses are true (and they are), where is the battle, where is the Spirit?

1 Jn. 3:9
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the following Verses are true (and they are), where is the battle, where is the Spirit?

1 Jn. 3:9
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
keep reading;
“For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.” Galatians 5:17–25 (NASB95)

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but I am going to have to invoke the "Show me the Scriptures rebuttal," where both the RED and the Blue of your statements are spoken of.

How does a New Believer become Born Again by his dying to the Flesh and becoming alive to the Spirit, then choose to Walk in the Spirit, hasn't he just DIED to the FLESH, ERGO he is Alive to the Spirit.

Do you not know

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Galatians 5:16
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

John 15:5-6
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Jesus words not mine IF (if is a word implying a choice and/or condition)... IF you remain in me... and how do we remain? Walking by the Spirit (Galatians 5)

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
keep reading;
“For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.” Galatians 5:17–25 (NASB95)

What is the consequence for a Believer that is not Walking in the Spirit?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Notice the difference between the two renderings of these verses, there is a marked difference between yours, and the KJV, thereby changing the understanding of not only what was being said by Jesus, but to whom was He speaking those words.

John 15:5-6
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit for apart from me you can do nothing.
6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

John 15:5,6
5) I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6) If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

It cannot be denied, when Jesus spoke these words, He was not speaking to Christian Believers, He was speaking to Jews before His Crucifixion.

That mere fact changes the overall connotation of His words as spoken to those Jews.

Where you on the other hand, have placed an (IF) into the narrative of Jesus which does not exist in the Original Greek, thereby changing the (WHO) He was speaking to, therefore, your rendition of Jesus narrative reads as though He was speaking to Christian Believers.

When you read those two verses, do you hear Jesus speaking to the Jews, that they should believe He was the Messiah and therefore accept Him as such, OR, do you hear Jesus speaking to YOU, a Believer and that you must (Remain) Abide in Him or lose your Salvation, keeping in mind all the while, Jesus was speaking these words before His Crucifixion, and the subsequent Christian Religion coming into being?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Notice the difference between the two renderings of these verses, there is a marked difference between yours, and the KJV, thereby changing the understanding of not only what was being said by Jesus, but to whom was He speaking those words.

John 15:5,6
5) I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6) If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

It cannot be denied, when Jesus spoke these words, He was not speaking to Christian Believers, He was speaking to Jews before His Crucifixion.

That mere fact changes the overall connotation of His words as spoken to those Jews.

Where you on the other hand, have placed an (IF) into the narrative of Jesus which does not exist in the Original Greek, thereby changing the (WHO) He was speaking to, therefore, your rendition of Jesus narrative reads as though He was speaking to Christian Believers.

When you read those two verses, do you hear Jesus speaking to the Jews, that they should believe He was the Messiah and therefore accept Him as such, OR, do you hear Jesus speaking to YOU, a Believer and that you must (Remain) Abide in Him or lose your Salvation, keeping in mind all the while, Jesus was speaking these words before His Crucifixion, and the subsequent Christian Religion coming into being?

He was speaking to the 12, and he had already told them just a sentence or two before that they were clean. John 15:3

But anyways, anyone else want to chime in? What do you tell someone in under 30 seconds to explain how they can walk by the Spirit?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the consequence for a Believer that is not Walking in the Spirit?
They cannot remain in sin if they are born again.
No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Upvote 0