Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hard Agnosticism is a more extreme form of Agnosticism, it is the belief that nothing can be known for certain, that any proposition is all mere speculation. In this philosophical view they don't hold anything as truth, but as probable truth (Something that may be true, but may possibly be false) This can be for anything.

To Hard Agnostic, the human mind either has no way of knowing if something is true, it can only make an educated guess, or it is unknown if the human mind has the intellect required to determine what is true.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God makes things known Rom 1:19 otherwise He could not judge.

This knowing is not of the mind however but a deeper knowing in the Human spirit through the conscience.

This means you are dealing fundamentally with rebellion not ignorance.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hard Agnosticism is a more extreme form of Agnosticism, it is the belief that nothing can be known for certain, that any proposition is all mere speculation. In this philosophical view they don't hold anything as truth, but as probable truth (Something that may be true, but may possibly be false) This can be for anything.

To Hard Agnostic, the human mind either has no way of knowing if something is true, it can only make an educated guess, or it is unknown if the human mind has the intellect required to determine what is true.

It's not a totally unreasonable or illogical position to take as long as it can be kept separate to the way you deal with day to day life. For instance I have my doubts that free will actually exists but its not something I obsess about. In ordinary life I still act as if it did exist.

I find this view ( we can't necessarily know if something is true) to be a little more sensible, and less dangerous, than the black and white 'absolute' truthism I associate with many Christians I see on this Forum.
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given the gospel requires you to believe, and God is absolute then that is not surprising.
Dangerous? yes it upsets the apple cart of assumption.
Sensible? yes believing God certainly does not deny the senses. In fact many coming to faith report of really 'seeing' for the first time.

Upvote 0