What is True Messianic Breaking of Bread?

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't want to derail the other one law thread any more so thought this was better to continue the discussion here so we can keep it all together. I think this is a most important subject to discuss.

Now it was being debated just what was meant in the NT by 'breaking Bread'.

So believe it to be a ceremony or ritual others believe it to be something done only at Passover.

I have even seen some (not members here but respected Hebraic teachers) teach that you can do it any time, any where, all alone several times a day even.

But what is the root of this term 'breaking bread'?

It seems that there are recorded in the Talmud what it meant to Jews back then.

The "breaking of bread" is something which is done only in the context of a meal. In fact, the Talmud uses the term only in reference to the blessing at the start of the meal. The one who says the blessing over the bread is referred to as the one who "breaks bread". At every meal, it was, and is the custom to have bread and wine. The blessings over the bread and wine are said at the beginning of the meal. The one who recited the blessing, did so while literally breaking the bread.

aish.com has an article online called
Challah – Breaking Bread on Shabbat

OK, the Committee for the advancement of Torah says: Breaking of Bread and Hamotzi

Over true bread made of one of the five species of grain (wheat, spelt, oats, barley or rye), we say the benediction Hamotzi, and after eating it, we say Grace after meals.
As a token of respect to the benediction Hamotzi, one should break off at the choicest spot of the bread. It is required to have salt set on the table before breaking bread, and to dip into the salt the piece of bread over which the Hamotzi is said.

The Laws for the 'breaking of bread'

And from a Messianic perspective we find this:

1.The New Testament scriptures that speak of breaking bread among early Messianic Jews did not mean the supposed Communion ritual, as many commentators have believed since Rome.

2.The idiom of breaking bread has a long Jewish history, originating with the twelve breads that were broken and shared each Sabbath in the Temple. Messianic Jews understood that the Messiah and his teaching fulfilled this idiom as the 'true bread', the 'bread of life'.
This is what the New Covenant scriptures on breaking bread refer to, and this was the idiom where the phrase “breaking bread” originated

Since these scriptures were originally written from a first-century Jewish perspective but
later misunderstood by Rome to indicate a ritual, we’ll focus first on how breaking bread
developed in the Jewish tradition.
Then we’ll turn to how New Covenant Jewish believers—using their
natural-to-spiritual idiom—built on the existing Jewish idiom of breaking bread in the Temple and in Jewish homes, and went forth “breaking bread” spiritually.

More to come

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
http://themessianicfeast.com/

There are sample chapters there and quite a lot of interesting information. Please read and discuss.

Winner of a gold medal in the prestigious 2014 Independent Publisher (IPPY) awards, The Messianic Feast represents a sea change in biblical understanding. First, this work uncovers the true history of the Jewish disconnect that occurred in Rome. These early Messianic Jews understood that the Messiah was crucified on the 14th day and therefore knew that the Last Supper was not the Passover, contrary to prevailing beliefs today.

Second, in proving that the Last Supper was not the Passover, the author does what has not been done before—showing what the scriptures truly mean in their original Greek language, specifically those that portray that the Last Supper was the Passover. This is only the beginning, however, for it also reveals that neither the Messiah nor his early Jewish followers ever taught the Communion ritual kept by most churches today. By reconnecting the Messiah’s Last Supper parables to the long Jewish history of a coming Messianic banquet amazing new truths emerge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is the beginning of the introduction. As you can see we will be discussing the Last Supper in context of the Passover timing as well as what it meant to break bread in the early 1st century.

The Messianic Feast

The issue of whether the Last Supper was a Passover or not has been hotly debated throughout history, but today for the most part it is given little thought. As a result, scripture intended to lead to true spiritual communion with God has instead been lost to man-made rituals that, for many, represent cornerstone beliefs.

Handing down information, beliefs, and customs from one generation to the next—whether by word of mouth or by example—ensures cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs, and institutions. Nevertheless, grievous error results when ceremonial or sacramental traditions involve stringently enforced, human-dictated ritual that ignores God’s direction, empowerment, and revelation. Accordingly, differentiating between “traditions of men” and “commandments of God” is integral to both Jewish and Christian belief. Religious teachings, rituals, and decrees that were based on neither the true teachings of the Messiah, nor on those of the Jewish apostles, remain in the Church even to this day.

Tennent, T. Alex (2014-01-07). The Messianic Feast: Moving Beyond The Ritual (Kindle Locations 164-171). Messianic Publishing LLC. Kindle Edition.

As you can see this book is getting to the heart of the matter.

Enter the Disconnect

The original Messianic Jews (later called Christians) understood New Covenant truth as God intended— that is, through the clarifying lens of Jewish practice and idiom. However, once Roman Emperor Constantine established Christianity as dominant within the Roman Empire, he personally convened the first ecumenical council to align doctrine and customs with Roman religious practices . Consequently, Rome commandeered what had begun as a strictly Jewish phenomenon —namely, that the Messiah had come to redeem Israel and reconcile all believers to God. This eventually caused a complete disconnect from the doctrines and understandings of the original Messianic believers.

Tennent, T. Alex (2014-01-07). The Messianic Feast: Moving Beyond The Ritual (Kindle Locations 172-177). Messianic Publishing LLC. Kindle Edition.

Some questions asked in this intro

1. If the Last Supper was the Passover, how could the Messiah slay the Passover one day —at the legally acceptable day and time for the Passover sacrifice— and then be crucified the following day and still be, as Paul said, “Christ our Passover”?
  2. How could Jesus have sacrificed and roasted the Passover one day (the day God commanded), eaten it that night with his apostles at the Last Supper, and then on the next day be slain as the fulfillment of the Passover?
  3. How can both days be the required 14th day in which God commanded for the Passover to be slain?
  4. Wouldn’t that result in the Messiah dying as our “day-late” Passover?
  5. Is it possible that the Christian belief that Jesus ate the Passover at the Last Supper was a “tradition of men” that originated in Rome, and not what the original Jewish believers taught or understood?
  6. Is it possible that the resulting Communion ritual based on this belief and handed down through the centuries was not really what the Messiah wanted or what the apostles taught?

Lets see what the answers according to this author are. If you'd like to give a go at answering them yourselves, please do. I've numbered them for convenience. :)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
A synopsis of what I've read so far.

Chapter 1 Setting the Table 1

The Jewish Disconnect and the Fourteenthers.

Going back in time it seems that Messianic Jews were thought of the same back then as they are today. Looked upon by Jews they were called Christians and weren't acknolwedged as truly Jewish.

To the Gentile Roman Christians, they were considered Judaizers who were out of sinc mainly because they continued in their Jewish customs and did not agree with the teachings of Roma.

Another name that the early Messianic Jews were called was a derisive Latin name of 'Quartodecimans' by the Roman believers and were derided for keeping the practice of Passover on the 14th of Nisan.

The Quartodeciman Controversy

He states that the reason for John being asked to write to the churches in Asia were because there were many Jewish believers there who were being persecuted by the Romans who were mocking them for keeping the 14th of Nisan and this was after 70ce so Rome had annihilated Israel.Judea and destroyed the temple so they didn't want to follow anything to do with the Jews religion. These Jews and some Gentiles along with them wanted to keep celebrating Passover but Rome had decreed for the Christians to celebrate 'easter'.

It seems the Jewish believers kept a fast on Nisan 14 until the ninth hour, in remembrance of Yeshua's trial and time on the cross until he uttered the words"it is finished'.

Then they broke the fast after that and rejoiced in the achieved work of man's redemption. This was not a traditional Jewish fast but added at this point in time to honor Yeshua.

The Roman Church had a rigid fast on Friday before Easter no matter when the Passover occurred.

The schism grew by 150CE when Polycarp, a disciple of Johns who also kept the 14th of Nisan when to Rome and met with the Roman 'Pope' Anicetus.

(The first instance of the intrusion of the Easter system into Christianity, according to Irenaeus, seems to have been as early as the time of Sixtus in Rome around 120 CE (cf. Catholic Encylcopedia, Vol. V, article ‘Easter’, p. 228).

Polycarp, disciple of John and tutor of Irenaeus, came to Rome around 150-152 to persuade Anicetus. He was unsuccessful, and this pagan Easter system became more entrenched from that time. The British Church was to continue observing the Quartodeciman system for centuries until Whitby in 664 at least, and was slow to give it up even then, when it went underground.)

The move to break the Christian Passover free of Judaism came from Rome.

From the writings of Irenaeus, to back up this assertion:
The first discussion was from a visit of Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, to Anicetus, bishop of Rome, between 150 to 155 CE. The account of Irenaeus, disciple of Polycarp, disciple of John is of significance.

When the blessed Polycarp sojourned at Rome in the days of Anicetus, and they had some little difference of opinion likewise with regard to other points, they forthwith came to a peaceable understanding on this head [the observance of Easter], having no love for mutual disputes. For neither could Anicetus persuade Polycarp not to observe, inasmuch as he [Pol.] has always observed with John, the disciple of our Lord, and the other apostles with whom he had associated; nor did Polycarp persuade Anicetus to observe

It seems that Rome didn't like these quartadecimanians and moved quite vehemently against them to stop and to take on the practices of Rome. It seems that the main thing was that Rome was keeping this day as a fast day and the 14er's only fasted until 3 o'clock and then celebrated. Polycrates head of the Asiaitic bishops wrote a letter of protest to Pope Victor stating that they were observing the 'genuine' day and not adding to or taking away from it. He lists the Apostles (the twelve) and other bishops of Asia as ALL observing the 14th day. He also added that he wasn't afraid of the intimidation from Rome and that he would continue on as his relatives in that they would obey G-d rather than men. For what it was worth, Pope Victor disregarded it and branded them as heretics and threatened excommunication.

This did not seem to sway many of the Messianic Jews and they continued to celebrate the day the way they deemed proper and did not want Rome to dictate to them otherwise.

All this on the 14th day is to say that the early Messianic Jews knew fer shur that Yeshua was crucified on the 14th of Nisan therefore the 'Last supper' was not a Seder. But even after all the controversy, Rome won out and forced all believers at the time to believe that Jesus was crucified on 'Good Friday' (the 15th) after eating the Passover on the night before, the 14th and this Doctrine of Rome became law at the Nicene Council of 325CE.

That's all I can get through tonight, more tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
http://themessianicfeast.com/

There are sample chapters there and quite a lot of interesting information. Please read and discuss.

Winner of a gold medal in the prestigious 2014 Independent Publisher (IPPY) awards, The Messianic Feast represents a sea change in biblical understanding. First, this work uncovers the true history of the Jewish disconnect that occurred in Rome. These early Messianic Jews understood that the Messiah was crucified on the 14th day and therefore knew that the Last Supper was not the Passover, contrary to prevailing beliefs today.

Second, in proving that the Last Supper was not the Passover, the author does what has not been done before—showing what the scriptures truly mean in their original Greek language, specifically those that portray that the Last Supper was the Passover. This is only the beginning, however, for it also reveals that neither the Messiah nor his early Jewish followers ever taught the Communion ritual kept by most churches today. By reconnecting the Messiah’s Last Supper parables to the long Jewish history of a coming Messianic banquet amazing new truths emerge.

Well it is pretty obvious the last supper was not the Pesach meal and in fact was on the evening (24 hrs) before the Pesach meal (I was taught Yeshua spent most of the subsequent night in jail, or being sent between Herod and Pilate, and then was crucified on Pesach day/evening).

It was actually an old tradition similar to graduation. The master taking his disciples out to eat, similar to a coach taking his team out to eat after a match. The last supper was all about the disciples, and those who are their direct typological descendants, those believers who are not perfect but who in heart are intimately connected with Yeshua, the living Torah.

Res2.gif

LINK to an article about chronology of last supper, crucification and resurrection of Yeshua

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
However breaking bread can probably also mean multiple things. Most proverbs and expressions and so on end up meaning multiple things.

Like salt of the earth. Biblically, it means something that greatly vexes, like in the term "salting the fields, so nothing will grow." That's what the Rus did to stave off the Mongol invaders. So it's like sand in the eye.

But English-speakers of different origins use the term salt of the earth to mean or to describe basically a rural person, a "commoner", in a positive or neutral context. So it means a characteristic of "real folk".

Dictionary.com defines it as: "Basic, fundamental goodness; the phrase can be used to describe any simple, good person: “I like Mary: she's reliable, trustworthy, and straightforward; she's the salt of the Earth.”"

So it is basically the opposite of actual salt of the earth, the opposite of sand in the eye. Expressions change and evolve and sometimes even end up meaning the opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mockingbird0

Mimus polyglottos
Feb 28, 2012
Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa
✟17,994.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
A synopsis of what I've read so far.

He states that the reason for John being asked to write to the churches in Asia were because there were many Jewish believers there who were being persecuted by the Romans who were mocking them for keeping the 14th of Nisan and this was after 70ce so Rome had annihilated Israel.Judea and destroyed the temple so they didn't want to follow anything to do with the Jews religion. These Jews and some Gentiles along with them wanted to keep celebrating Passover but Rome had decreed for the Christians to celebrate 'easter'.
This interpretation is silly, but you'll have to meet me elsewhere to discuss it since I'm not allowed to debate on this thread.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well it is pretty obvious the last supper was not the Pesach meal and in fact was on the evening (24 hrs) before the Pesach meal (I was taught Yeshua spent most of the subsequent night in jail, or being sent between Herod and Pilate, and then was crucified on Pesach day/evening).

Yes, but there has always been a problem making the 4 gospels match.

It was actually an old tradition similar to graduation. The master taking his disciples out to eat, similar to a coach taking his team out to eat after a match. The last supper was all about the disciples, and those who are their direct typological descendants, those believers who are not perfect but who in heart are intimately connected with Yeshua, the living Torah.

The oldtimers here know that it has been called a teaching supper, one that Rabbi's had with their students to teach them important things, I agree with this.

Res2.gif

LINK to an article about chronology of last supper, crucification and resurrection of Yeshua

That chart is reminiscent of one I made for the Messianic haggadah I authored years ago. I prefer the resurrection during havdallah time. :)

Reactions: Hoshiyya
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This interpretation is silly, but you'll have to meet me elsewhere to discuss it since I'm not allowed to debate on this thread.

You can go and debate the author if you'd like, this thread is basically on understanding the true meaning of 'breaking bread'.

Just remember I was giving a brief synopsis of what I read. But if you wish, here is the contact page of the author of the book.

http://themessianicfeast.com/contact/

Upvote 0

Alex Tennent

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Lulav for looking into my book and considering the main points it brings forth! I would love to hear your thoughts if you went further into it, as it brings out many points from the first-century Jewish perspective as opposed to the Roman grid that has been handed down. Thank you again Lulav! And if anyone has questions or additional points I would be glad to hear them!

Upvote 0

Alex Tennent

Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

Res2.gif

I know that the Wednesday crucifixion and Saturday resurrection is a popular belief, but there are certain scriptures it breaks. For instance, as they were walking with Jesus on Sunday (the first day of the week, Luke 24:1) they say that it is now the third day since "these things happened" (these things being the trial, delivering up, and crucifixion, Luke 24:18-21). So if the crucifixion happened Thursday as my book puts forth, then Friday would be the "first day" since these things happened, Saturday would be the second day, and Sunday would be the third day "since these things happened." And since the Messiah said the scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35) then the crucifixion had to be on Thursday. In case anyone is interested to see that full chapter with additional research, please see link here: http://themessianicfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/TMF_Template-Challenge.pdf In His service, Alex

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alex Tennent

Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Mockingbird, although this is a minor point in what my book brings forth I am happy to hear why you see this differently.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Alex Tennent

Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
That chart is reminiscent of one I made for the Messianic haggadah I authored years ago. I prefer the resurrection during havdallah time. :)
And yes, there has been the long debated problem of making the four gospels harmonize. For those of us that believe the original scriptures were anointed by God then the idea that John disagrees with Mathew, Mark, and Luke does not sit well. I believe I have found the answer in the original Greek that causes all four gospels to harmonize perfectly. For that information please see this chapter: http://themessianicfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/TMF_Greek-Keys.pdf

Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

Alex Tennent

Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
However breaking bread can probably also mean multiple things. Most proverbs and expressions and so on end up meaning multiple things.

Like salt of the earth. Biblically, it means something that greatly vexes, like in the term "salting the fields, so nothing will grow." That's what the Rus did to stave off the Mongol invaders. So it's like sand in the eye.

But English-speakers of different origins use the term salt of the earth to mean or to describe basically a rural person, a "commoner", in a positive or neutral context. So it means a characteristic of "real folk".

Dictionary.com defines it as: "Basic, fundamental goodness; the phrase can be used to describe any simple, good person: “I like Mary: she's reliable, trustworthy, and straightforward; she's the salt of the Earth.”"

So it is basically the opposite of actual salt of the earth, the opposite of sand in the eye. Expressions change and evolve and sometimes even end up meaning the opposite.
Good point Hoshiyya, and there was also the first-century Jewish idiom of the natural to spiritual (especially among the Messianics), where they would speak of a natural thing but the true meaning they meant was the spiritual thing behind it. For instance when Jesus said beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, or where Paul said "we have an altar" and meaning it spiritually (Hebrews 13:10). This is a key to understanding many scriptures in the light that they were meant in. I found so many examples that I had a whole chapter on this idiom: http://themessianicfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/TMF_SettingTable_4.pdf (The title of it is "The Jewish Idiom of Natural to Spiritual")

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Lulav for looking into my book and considering the main points it brings forth! I would love to hear your thoughts if you went further into it, as it brings out many points from the first-century Jewish perspective as opposed to the Roman grid that has been handed down. Thank you again Lulav! And if anyone has questions or additional points I would be glad to hear them!
And here is the Author himself! Welcome Alex! I'm so glad to see you here. I guess there wasn't much discussion happening on this so it got dropped, being summer and all. But I would like to revisit it and to pull up your book on my Kindle. I was really interested in the quartadecimanians angle and wish to explore that more.

Reactions: Alex Tennent
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
And yes, there has been the long debated problem of making the four gospels harmonize. For those of us that believe the original scriptures were anointed by God then the idea that John disagrees with Mathew, Mark, and Luke does not sit well. I believe I have found the answer in the original Greek that causes all four gospels to harmonize perfectly. For that information please see this chapter: http://themessianicfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/TMF_Greek-Keys.pdf
I will look into that. I just recently read of a one letter change that makes something interpreted for the last 2000 years finally make sense.

Reactions: Alex Tennent
Upvote 0