Manhattan, KS
✟189,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know exactly but I would guess it's from Jesus calling His disciples to be fishers of men. The fish would then just be a representation of being a disciple of Christ. Could also very loosely represent the death and resurrection I suppose if one spun it that way. Like Jonah was in the great fish, so too was Jesus in the depths of the Earth. So it could represent His death, burial and resurrection, but I would guess the disciple one would be more accurate. Good question.

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Possibly. Check this out: Ichthys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some early Christians used the symbol in their graves to signify they were Christian martyrs. Which is why it's ironic for me to see people with that on the back of some people's cars! :D

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

It is ICHTHUS. :p Or ΙΧΘΥΣ.

It comes from the Greek word for fish.

ΙΧΘΥΣ (Ichthys) is an acronym for "Ἰησοῦς Χρειστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr), which translates into English as "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior".
Iota (i) is the first letter of Iēsous (Ἰησοῦς), Greek for "Jesus".
Chi (ch) is the first letter of Christos (Χρειστός), Greek for "anointed".
Theta (th) is the first letter of Theou (Θεοῦ), Greek for "God's", the genitive case of Θεóς, Theos, Greek for "God".
Ypsilon (y) is the first letter of (h)yios[3] (Υἱός), Greek for "Son".
Sigma (s) is the first letter of sōtēr (Σωτήρ), Greek for "Savior".

from wiki: Ichthys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a secret symbol used by early Christians to avoid persecution. They would draw it on their changing, secret meeting places and use it to symbolize that they where Christians.

They would draw it in the dust as a way of asking if a stranger was a fellow Christian. Half of the fish would go down...if you filled out the other half, you knew what the other guy was talking about and it meant you were a fellow Christian and not a spy or something.

I have a wristband that I wear with that symbol on it. :)

It's pretty cool to think that something that old and meaningful for early Christians has still survived to this day. I'm still part of that "secret" club. ;)

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is ICHTHUS. :p Or ΙΧΘΥΣ.

It comes from the Greek word for fish.

ΙΧΘΥΣ (Ichthys) is an acronym for "Ἰησοῦς Χρειστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ", (Iēsous Christos, Theou Yios, Sōtēr), which translates into English as "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior".
Iota (i) is the first letter of Iēsous (Ἰησοῦς), Greek for "Jesus".
Chi (ch) is the first letter of Christos (Χρειστός), Greek for "anointed".
Theta (th) is the first letter of Theou (Θεοῦ), Greek for "God's", the genitive case of Θεóς, Theos, Greek for "God".
Ypsilon (y) is the first letter of (h)yios[3] (Υἱός), Greek for "Son".
Sigma (s) is the first letter of sōtēr (Σωτήρ), Greek for "Savior".

from wiki: Ichthys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a secret symbol used by early Christians to avoid persecution. They would draw it on their changing, secret meeting places and use it to symbolize that they where Christians.

They would draw it in the dust as a way of asking if a stranger was a fellow Christian. Half of the fish would go down...if you filled out the other half, you knew what the other guy was talking about and it meant you were a fellow Christian and not a spy or something.

I have a wristband that I wear with that symbol on it. :)

It's pretty cool to think that something that old and meaningful for early Christians has still survived to this day. I'm still part of that "secret" club. ;)

:thumbsup: That's cool, I never knew that.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2012
✟7,781.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
So far Greek seems to be the common denominator in alot of the things that seem strange to me, I posted a post about Why do we say Amen at the end of prayer and was told it comes from the greek meaning (so let it be) Now the Fish is another greek translation for Jesus Christ Son of God.

why these thing are strange to me is because of the connection to pagan ritual. the worship of Amen-Ra in the case of ending prayer in Amen, as far as the Fish, First of all if your familiar with the study of the stars or galaxies you are aware of the different consolations and ages. Just like it is said we are at the end of the age of "Pisces" funny enough the sign for Pisces is a FISH. See those gobblins ive read so many people on here talk about called the myans never predicted the end of the world. that is a myth. what that very old calender does for tell is the time of change in seasons and eras. the December 21st 2012 is not an end of the world prediction but the date that was predicted for the galactic change in were we move into a new age the age of Aquarius. Ive heard it said that the Bible is really based a lot on the study of the stars, and sun. its been said that in Luke when Jesus is asked "what to do next" prior to the last supper Jesus says Go into the city, there you will find a man holding a pitcher of water. its said that this is a direct connection to moving from the age of Pisces to the age of Aguarius. as the sign for Aquarias is a man holding a pitcher of water...

Then you have the pope and his Fish head Mitre. it is derived directly from the mitres of the ancient pagan fish-god Dagon, and the goddess Cybele. The papal mitre represents the head of Dagon with an open mouth.

Are these just coincident or is there really something more to it? After all Isn't the Roman Catholic Church were we get our KING JAMES version Bible? That in itself is something that puzzles me, Why did the Roman Catholic Church lay out the foundation of Christianity and the Holy Bible but practice completely different teachings? such as praying to the mother Mary???

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2012
✟7,781.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just coincidence. Actually, King James made the King James Version. The catholic church just put it together and allowed for edits.

And actually King James didn't make anything, he was responsible and overseen the project of creating 1 Holy Bible. He chose the council(group of the wises men at that time) to collaborate and decide what book went in and what books didn't, they were also in charge of translations and interpretations.

Did you know to truly understand the Bible one would have to really study history and learn what things were like in the days that the Bible was put together, not only has the Bible been translated several times before and since KJV Bible but did you know that the English dictionary has also made several changes in the meanings of word since that time as well.

Even if the catholic church "just put it together" as you say, why don't they live by the KJV Holy Bible? If they believe in the Bible then doesn't that make them hypocrites? If they don't believe in the KJV Holy Bible, Then why were they in charge of putting it together for the Christians???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums