Visit site
✟2,190.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Worse than Lee Strobel's "Case for Christ"? I highly doubt that.

FAR worse than ANY of Strobel's books. :wave:

Whereas Strobel is friendly and positive, Dawkins is a negative and deeply bitter little fundamentalist atheist.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
FAR worse than ANY of Strobel's books. :wave:

Whereas Strobel is friendly and positive, Dawkins is a negative and deeply bitter little fundamentalist atheist.
Oh, I guess I agree completely as far as their attitudes are concerned. I'm not exactly a fan of the inventor of the "selfish gene"-theory.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Atlas Shrugged. If you agree with Rand's politics, that's fine. But don't pretend her writing isn't turgid, her plots laughable and her characterisation non-existent.
Her writing is turgid, her plots laughable and her characterization non-existent. These "novels" are cheap propaganda vehicles, nothing more.

And her philosophy is downright despicable and misanthropic, with her fascist/elitist disdain for "the masses".

Upvote 0

Jeriel

Live life to the beat of your own drum!
May 31, 2007
Home
✟17,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It must be missing something in in translation because I can read plenty of novels that have little action, but a great deal of character development and yet... this put me to sleep. Then again, it doesn't help that Russians apparently have nine hundred names, making it nearly impossible to keep up with who is who.
lol! I had the same issue in War and Peace. I spent half of my reading-time flipping back through pages trying to remember who was who :p

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
lol! I had the same issue in War and Peace. I spent half of my reading-time flipping back through pages trying to remember who was who :p

They not only use names that are perfectly unfamiliar to us, they also use approximately half a dozen abbreviations or variants for each of them.
Who'd think that "Alexander" is the same as "Sasha", or that "Natalya" and "Natasha" are in fact one and the same?

Upvote 0

Jeriel

May 31, 2007
Home
✟17,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They not only use names that are perfectly unfamiliar to us, they also use approximately half a dozen abbreviations or variants for each of them.
Who'd think that "Alexander" is the same as "Sasha", or that "Natalya" and "Natasha" are in fact one and the same?
I know! They're use to it though, I suppose, and it all makes sense to them like English names/nicknames make sense to me. lol. Cultures are funny that way - I always find it so interesting!

Upvote 0

Dallyn

Jun 13, 2006
✟9,268.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Worst books I've read would be

The Golden Compass - Phillip Pullman (had to read it in grade 10 english and hated it.)
1984- George orwell.. Had to read it in grade 11 english and hated it...
I loved the golden compass. My worst in On Chesil Beach. Read it for English.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I Kissed Dating Goodbye- Joshua Harris (ARGH!!)
Anything by John Grisham

There's this girl in my youth group, and on the way to a youth retreat she just sat there reading I Kissed Dating Goodbye. It looked dumb. I mean jeez, just because I've never had a boyfriend doesn't mean I'll stop dating forever!

The first three books I read by Grisham were good. Then I found out that it's always the same character stuck in an ethical dillema with a ton of legal jargon in between. No thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
The worse book I ever read was Battlefield Earth. I read it sitting in a C-5 on the way to Korea from California. I usually love Sci-Fi books, but this one just rubbed me the wrong way.
Does that surprise you? It's been written by third-rate-author and fourth-rate-religious figure L. Ron Hubbard, after all.

Upvote 0

Jeriel

May 31, 2007
Home
✟17,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hated Cold, Comfort Farm By Stella Gibbons

and sorry Americans but I hated Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck too.
lol that's ok, my sister hated it too. I thought it was good in...a rough sort of way :) I was pretty shocked the first time I read Steinbeck, but I guess I got immune to his style after a couple books :p I can see why people wouldn't like him tho.

Upvote 0

lucyclaire

Nov 18, 2007
✟8,018.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
lol that's ok, my sister hated it too. I thought it was good in...a rough sort of way :) I was pretty shocked the first time I read Steinbeck, but I guess I got immune to his style after a couple books :p I can see why people wouldn't like him tho.
Of Mice And Men was a set text for my GCSE English Lit. I just found it depressing and grim. I haven't even tried Grapes Of Wrath.
I love English Lit, I love good American classics too such as The Great Gatsby, To Kill A Mockingbird, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, The Color Purple, Little Women etc.

And I agree with the comments of Grisham, I loved The Firm, The Client and A Time To Die but found it very repetitive, lawyers up against corruption, life threatened etc.....

Upvote 0