What is the SDA church beleif of the Lord's Supper?

Zerikin

Nov 4, 2005
✟7,619.00
Faith
SDA
Here ya go
16. The Lord's Supper:
The Lord's Supper is a participation in the emblems of the body and blood of Jesus as an expression of faith in Him, our Lord and Saviour. In this experience of communion Christ is present to meet and strengthen His people. As we partake, we joyfully proclaim the Lord's death until He comes again. Preparation for the Supper includes self-examination, repentance, and confession. The Master ordained the service of foot washing to signify renewed cleansing, to express a willingness to serve one another in Christlike humility, and to unite our hearts in love. The communion service is open to all believing Christians. (1 Cor. 10:16, 17; 11:23-30; Matt. 26:17-30; Rev. 3:20; John 6:48-63; 13:1-17.)

Upvote 0

danytink

Jan 19, 2006
✟7,620.00
Faith
Atheist
G'day Mate, (not sure of your name?)

Adventists do not view the Lord's Supper in a kind of liturgical conscripted fashion. If you go to any number of Communions in an SDA church, you will find the format differs alot and there is no particular way of doing it. We also include the "footwashing" as this was part of Jesus' instructions to the diciples. This little ceremony is conducted before the supper as a kind of "getting humble with each other and God" before we come to comune with Christ at His table. The footwashing is left out by alot of denominations but SDA's have an excellent time adding this feature - we feel it prepares us for the occasion.

The Service of the bread and wine that follows is bread without leaven and straight grape juice and not alcoholic. This is the celebratory side of the whole day and usually involves a small shot of grape juice from individual cups (not a shared cup for health reasons), and a small piece of broken bread given out by the deacons. The eating and drinking is punctuated by a scripture reading of any passage containing the Lords Supper and contemplation and sharing of what Christ has accomplished for us. Other types of communion services are out there in our churches like the Agape Feast which is the same except more food and grape juice is consumed.

We hold these about once a quarter, come along and join in, you will then be able to tell others about your experience of one of the best kept secrets for a spiritual high in any religious cremony I have encountered.

Cheers,

Danny

Upvote 0

danytink

Jan 19, 2006
✟7,620.00
Faith
Atheist
G'day Ryan,

Sorry for being so "jumpy" but I got slaughtered on another site by a guy who led me along the "garden path" and then he turned out to be the "devils advocate". I really have better things to do with my time than answer stuff that is just a smoke screen - you know what I mean?

Because of this, I like to get a bit personal at the begining of my conversations - asking for names, generally just feeling the person out. This other guy didn't even offer his name during the whole thing and didn't even sign off with his name - a common courtesy that needs to be in place on forums - don't you think?

Whenever somebody starts hiding behind psuedonyms and starts dodging around I get nervous and suspicious about their motives. It's not all that bad though, generally I've found that the genuine Xians are happy to offer up information about themselves but the undercover deviates are the ones who lurk in the shadows of their posts like roaring lions - sound familiar?

I'm glad you were joking anyway, that keeps everything neat and tidy in a little box. Ha Ha - I joke too!

Cheers,

Danny

PS - what is with this tin foil guy - is there some kind of hidden funny stuff about it?

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
again people took the meaning of communion and made it some event that happens ONCE a year if were lucky . The whole foot-washing thing is to humiliate ourselves and know we are all equals. The powers that be have turned a simple foot-washing into a clown show. I have communion with my wife all the time. I don't think most people understand it is so naive to think we have the patent on washing a guests stinky feet is not religious its because his feet really stink! Get it ! GOD bless

Upvote 0

Megs06

Aug 15, 2005
Christchurch, New Zealand
Visit site
✟8,480.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
JonathanSDA living word said:
again people took the meaning of communion and made it some event that happens ONCE a year if were lucky . The whole foot-washing thing is to humiliate ourselves and know we are all equals. The powers that be have turned a simple foot-washing into a clown show. I have communion with my wife all the time. I don't think most people understand it is so naive to think we have the patent on washing a guests stinky feet is not religious its because his feet really stink! Get it ! GOD bless
hmm no humiliate works....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

danytink

Jan 19, 2006
✟7,620.00
Faith
Atheist
Hey,:wave:

In trhe Bible there are plenty of times God tells His people to "humble" themselves but I don't recall ever God saying to "humiliate ouselves???

Websters Dictionary = Humble; - 'to be acutely aware of one's own faults and shortcomings'

Humiliate; - 'to deliberately make a public spectacle of, to degrade, to embarrass.......

Where did you get these two words mixed up man?:confused:

Dan.

Upvote 0